Last-ONE-Standing

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/last-one-standing/last-one-standing.html

Looks like the discovery channel might have an interesting show. Starts Oct 4th.

“Two teams join ancient cultures and compete in their intense rites.”

Saw something about Zulu stick fighting and Mongolian wrestling during a television commercial as well as some unusual training methods.

Brian King

OP
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I watched it this last weekend. Not bad and I liked it. The guys are not martial artists and get worked over pretty well. It was interesting. I will be looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Anybody else see it yet? If so what did you think?

Brian King

dru123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watched it this last weekend. Not bad and I liked it. The guys are not martial artists and get worked over pretty well. It was interesting. I will be looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Anybody else see it yet? If so what did you think?

Brian King

I saw it. I thought the wrestling was cool, but the rules where a bit weird (one way to win is grab the guys leg!). Also, I agree with what one of them said, the chief said it takes 8 years to be good at the wrestling, but he basically said they suck after just 2 hours of training. I like Human Weapon better, but I will watch this again.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it much more appealing than Human Weapon. I will give it a few more weeks and draw my final conclusion, but as of right now, two thumbs up.

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I seen it as well. I was pretty amazed at the "grab the guys legs" rule. I'm psyched to see the Zulu stick fighting this weekend.

I still like Human weapon better, but I have a feeling this will be another of the shows I have to watch lol.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Zulu stick fighting was on last night. It was pretty cool, but I got a 'Human Weapon' feeling about it. These guys trained in Zulu stick fighting for a week and were able to hold their own and even win against Zulus that have been doing it for years? It just didn't seem quite right.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you watched the fights most of the Zulu's did not go hard with them. All of the win's came when a Zulu stopped or backed down. Some of the Stick Fighting video material I have from Africa never shows them stopping but continuing until truly someone cannot continue. So in other words those fights were fixed to not be so hard on the foreigner's. Just my 02.
icon6.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if you watched the fights most of the Zulu's did not go hard with them. All of the win's came when a Zulu stopped or backed down. Some of the Stick Fighting video material I have from Africa never shows them stopping but continuing until truly someone cannot continue. So in other words those fights were fixed to not be so hard on the foreigner's. Just my 02.
icon6.gif

I guess that was my point in the comparison to 'Human Weapon'. I just didn't make it so VanCise. . .I mean concise.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess that was my point in the comparison to 'Human Weapon'. I just didn't make it so VanCise. . .I mean concise.

Well that is the best thing about internet boards is that your opinion my opinion all rolls into a thread and hopefully we come to a good exchange of ideas.
icon6.gif

Truthfully I was dissapointed with the Zulu episode not just with the end fight but also with the athletes attitude. They were like this is dangerous and maybe I should not compete. Well then why did you sign up and do a reality show like this. :erg: Personally I would have loved to have been there and enjoyed the opportunity to have a match with some zulu's.
icon6.gif

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been disappointed by their attitude also. What a chance they have been given! Yet they just seem to whine I guess you would call it. Either they picked the wrong guys or it just shows a problem with some 'men' in the US no days?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Last One Standing and Human Weapon, but it is painfully obvious to see on both shows where they are letting the show's stars off lightly and production edits to the point of squeezing the most drama possible from each episode.

On LOS, the Zulu were throwing power shots only at the shield. An example of a Human Weapon "drama milking" would be any moment of Bill Duf's fight with Rico Rodriqez....who could have killed him at ANY given time of their "fight". Same with the Kali and Karate fights as well.....IMVHO.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Next up for these athletes is an endurance test of running in sandles in the mountains of South America. The promo looked exhausting just watching it!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
who could have killed him at ANY given time of their "fight". Same with the Kali and Karate fights as well.....IMVHO.

Know you see why the Muay Thai episode was my fav. If nothing else, the fighter didn't let squat get through. May not have killed the guy, but he diffenitly learned who was the boss.

Latest Discussions