Kyokushin

Bredanaar

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just turned 40 and had my 3rd training session in Kyokushin, I have practised and fought in muay-thai/kickboxing but I like this style very muchand plan to keep training.

Is it realistic to aim for the black belt at this age or will the examinations be to intense by that time and age?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just turned 40 and had my 3rd training session in Kyokushin, I have practised and fought in muay-thai/kickboxing but I like this style very muchand plan to keep training.

Is it realistic to aim for the black belt at this age or will the examinations be to intense by that time and age?
depends on your fitness & how long ago you trained. Have you injuries...etc..etc...

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i mean i´ve seen an old Grand mother get a black belt but what´s the quality? given that your choice of style is full contact (if that´s your goal). also 40 is not old if fit.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Osu, no that is not too old to begin Kyokushin and to reach Shodan. The journey to Shodan is different for everyone but if you train with your heart and make it a lifestyle, time passes quickly.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy every moment as much as I do.

OP
B

Bredanaar

White Belt
Reaction score
depends on your fitness & how long ago you trained. Have you injuries...etc..etc...
My last fight in muay thai was 7 years ago and training in martial arts in general is about 4 years ago now.

Overall fitness is not that well at the moment, I was gassed after 2 rounds (1.5 min) of sparring kyokushin. I survived the 2 hour session and slept like a bear.

As for injuries, I don't have any at the moment.

OP
B

Bredanaar

White Belt
Reaction score
i mean i´ve seen an old Grand mother get a black belt but what´s the quality? given that your choice of style is full contact (if that´s your goal). also 40 is not old if fit.
Well I am used to full contact but from what I hear the examinations in Kyokushin are really tough. I am ready to make the necessary sacrifice and put in the work.

Osu

OP
B

Bredanaar

White Belt
Reaction score
Osu, no that is not too old to begin Kyokushin and to reach Shodan. The journey to Shodan is different for everyone but if you train with your heart and make it a lifestyle, time passes quickly.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy every moment as much as I do.
Thank you for your inspiring answer.

Osu

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I am used to full contact but from what I hear the examinations in Kyokushin are really tough. I am ready to make the necessary sacrifice and put in the work.

Osu
The examinations are tough but you will have plenty of time to prepare. It takes years to not only learn the material but to prepare your body for the ordeal. It is not only meant to test your knowledge and ability but your spirit as well. Train hard and train smart so you can train uninterrupted for a long time to get ready.

Osu

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading something one time that has always stuck with me. Not sure who originally said it to give them credit.

"Don't look at how long something will take you to accomplish it. The time will pass regardless."

Congrats on your upcoming test to stick with it. My instructor used to always say that the first rank is the hardest rank to get. It is hard because everything is so new and you have to commit to a different way of doing things to get it.

R5ky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kyokushin is a great and brutal art. There isnt mcdojo antics with legit Kyokushin schools.

which Kyokushin org did you start with?

OP
B

Bredanaar

White Belt
Reaction score
Kyokushin is a great and brutal art. There isnt mcdojo antics with legit Kyokushin schools.

which Kyokushin org did you start with?
The dojo I train in is a member of the
"IKKO-all Japan Kyokushin Union"

We have 4 trainers, 2 of them are 3rd dan, 1 has 2nd dan and 1 has 1st dan.

Last edited:

Judo boi

White Belt
Reaction score
Osu
You have already been training and progressing so perhaps already know that most Kyokushin clubs make allowances for age when grading

Latest Discussions