KUNG FU

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't understand the "don't learn the form yet, it might not be the same as the school you learn from" attitude. So what? Then I can learn something more when I get there? Surely... I would never ever join a martial arts school or train with a master and claim to know ANYTHING let alone claim to know kung fu already. I will be training with a genuine shaolin monk who has moved to the south of my country within the year, and it is his videos I am learning from. All I really wanted to know is what are the main forms taught when people say "Shaolin Kung Fu'
The form doesn't teach technique it's practice for technique. Learning the form without some guidance in technique will mean that you will copy what you see and not actually doing the technique that is in the form. Learning technique is valuable even if it's not in the form. It will also make future forms easier to learn regardless of what school you go to.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learning a random form before a style has been chosen is pretty pointless, although I admire your dedication.

Find a Sifu/kwoon.

A form, even a well mimicked one, is useless to you unless you have a teacher, not to mention that even the best mimicked forms will be wrong and you will be training bad habits without being aware of your errors. Learning a random form is the equivalent of giving an iPhone to a caveman.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me the young man has a plan. The form he is learning from video is from the teacher he intends to study with. The teacher will make the corrections that are needed. Honestly a Google search would provide the sequence of training material found in modern Shaolin.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit that I do not think fondly of modern Shaolin. It's mostly all flamboyant bravado, physical feats and little actual fighting content. I've had this confirmed from a person I trust very well.

As I said, there is little left of the authentic teachings inside the temple.

Latest Discussions