Kung Fu or Boxing?

Nadia Kappa

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been learning Kung Fu for about 2 years and i have recently started Boxing-Kick Boxing. I love them both but when my boxing teacher punch me i defend with Kung Fu. Should i stop one of them?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as the block works who cares what style it was you did your goal of not getting punched in the face. If you want to compete in boxing and kickboxing then you should train that primarily but if you're just training for fun and self defence then nothing wrong with doing both you learn different sets of skils so you end up having more tools. In boxing you can use Kung fu techniquws (the legal ones for boxing) on the boxers which they won't know and you can use your boxing on the Kung fu people when you spar. It's your own choice no right or wrong answer here

OP
Nadia Kappa

Nadia Kappa

White Belt
Reaction score
As long as the block works who cares what style it was you did your goal of not getting punched in the face. If you want to compete in boxing and kickboxing then you should train that primarily but if you're just training for fun and self defence then nothing wrong with doing both you learn different sets of skils so you end up having more tools. In boxing you can use Kung fu techniquws (the legal ones for boxing) on the boxers which they won't know and you can use your boxing on the Kung fu people when you spar. It's your own choice no right or wrong answer here
Thank you

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Nadia. :)

I'm pretty sure you'll figure it out as the weeks go by. Your instructors will let you know.
Meanwhile, enjoy the training.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not a problem until you start kicking lol

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. I don't know what style you practice but there is a lot of crossover between Kung Fu and Boxing in terms of the blocks. The difference comes after the block. In boxing, because you are wearing gloves you generally just block and then either back off or counter-punch. In the Kung Fu style I practice you block with an open palm which then allows you to grab your opponent or follow up with different open palm techniques. Basically there are more options for a follow-up with an open palm block than a block wearing gloves, but the block itself is the same.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
don't stop. you will see which blocking style will work better for you.
if kung fu style blocking works in (kick)boxing (to be honest, i doubt that) then go on with it. but it shouldn't be a problem to also focus on the boxing style blocks without stopping kung fu.

D

Deleted member 34973

Since you have just recently started Kick Boxing, I would advise that you keep them separate. In keeping them separated, you will not be confused with continuously trying to keep up with using both and figuring out how they can work together.

Give yourself some time and learn the basics of kickboxing first.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you've been doing kung fu for 2 years and just starting boxing recently, then of course your instinct is to use your kung fu techniques when you see a punch coming. That's the muscle memory you've built up. Keep up with the boxing, and after a while, that will become natural and instinctive too.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you enjoy both but need to take only one, take Boxing.

You'll get more proficient far more quickly. You also avoid all the pseudo-science quackery inherent in traditional Asian martial arts.

If you end up missing the kicks, take up Muay Thai or Sanda if available.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I study a little of both but my system includes both for self defense. If it works for you and your instructor does not mind why not ?

For fun - a little Wing Chun vs Boxing fantasy match

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I study a little of both but my system includes both for self defense. If it works for you and your instructor does not mind why not ?

For fun - a little Wing Chun vs Boxing fantasy match

A fun fight but I know it's kind of off subject but that's an interesting fight because there wasnt really a winner both had their moments but their time ran out before someone could win, so is that the only person that ip man didnt beat in the movies

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes a little off topic - but I have of course practiced elbow destruction's and eye pokes within boxing defense/offensive training as is kind of shown towards the end of this fight. But thats another topic of course.

Latest Discussions