Kung Fu Books

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone have any good suggestions for some good Kung Fu books? Right now I'm reading There are no secrets by Cheng Man Ch'ing. I've read quite a few, but any suggestions are very welcome.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I have a nice sized mini-library started, when I am looking for new titles I just head down to the local Borders or Barnes and Nobles and hang out in the martial arts section perusing everything that is there...

Sure, there's a lot of crap that makes it to print, but there are some good things out there, too.

Stay away from the Tai Chi for Dummies book if you are looking for a useful book on Taiji for beginners... I have been doing Taiji for a while now, and I picked the book up from the discount table at the local B&N... Total crap. Glad I only paid $5 for it.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I am really looking for more philosophy, or at least explanation more than instructional. I think most instructional MA books are basically crap, at least for me, I can't really learn that way.

7sm

C

chufeng

- The Tao of T'ai Chi Ch'uan by Jou Tsung Hwa.
- The Zen Way to Martial Arts by Taisen Deshimaru
- The Sword of No-Sword by John Stevens
- Abundant Peace by John Stevens
- The Art of Peace by Ueshiba Morihei
- Zen and the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel
- Master Cheng's Thirteen Chapters on T'ai Chi Ch'uan by Cheng Man-ch'ing translated by Douglas Wile
- T'ai-chi Touchstones: Yang Family Secret Transmissions compiled by Douglas Wile
- Sword and Brush: the Spirit of the Martial Arts by Dave Lowry
- The Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho

I have more suggestions if you have already read these...
Understand that not one of these books will teach you anything about HOW to do anything...But, the lessons shared may spark that part of you to a deeper understanding of your art...some authors are Japanese, some Chinese, some American or European... the lessons apply across all cultures and all martial arts...

Enjoy!!!

:asian:
chufeng

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read a couple of those, the others I'll look for, thanks for the suggestions.
I am not looking for a book to learn how to "do" anything, I'm looking for books to read to delve deeper in my art and in MA in general. Thanks for your concern though.

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stumbled upon heaven this weekend and found a 75% off bookstore here. Nothing is over $5 ! I racked up on some Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and Chin Na books!!!

7sm

Z

ZenYuchia

My alltime favorite MA book is Karate-Do My Way Of Life by Funakoshi Sensei. the man was not only a master of Karate-Do but an excellent author and story teller as well. Good reading.

-Dave

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ZenYuchia

My alltime favorite MA book is Karate-Do My Way Of Life by Funakoshi Sensei. the man was not only a master of Karate-Do but an excellent author and story teller as well. Good reading.

-Dave

OK you sound knowledgable about it, what exacty is karate-do? I've asked people before and never really got much of an answer. I'm really curious about it though.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the modern do (way) form of karate, emphasizing self-development, as opposed to the older karate-jutsu, emphasizing techniques and self-defense.

Latest Discussions