KT:What Non-EPAK Material Do You Practice?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
What Non-EPAK Material Do You Practice?
By stoneheart - Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:13:18 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I'm always curious what other martial artists like to do. I have some friends who do taekwondo and do it well, yet they practice kata that I have taught them from goju-ryu karate-do. I can understand it, the goju forms are rich with both tradition and meaning, although it takes some thought and exploration before you understand what many of the moves mean.

I'm not a EPAK guy, but I've been fascinated by the clear application of the system. Your self-defense techs are taught out in the open, rather than obscured by stylistic movements. I know the majority of you will consider EPAK to be a complete system, but just for fun, do any of you practice forms or drills from another art?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to use some kajukenbo stuff in sparring. Its considered a "no no" to fight with the move in my school, but I do it anyway.
Sean

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i practice weapon stuff from iaido, goju-shorei and arnis.
our system includes the tracy forms mass attack and bookset, and uses the tracy versions of long 6,7 & 8.
though it's not formal, my grappling background affects how i apply my kenpo.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I study Pekiti Tirsia Kali as a second art, and in sparring my weak weak BJJ can be used to good effect. :D

Lamont

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is maybe I'm a little unorthadox in my sparring.
How so? Sparring is combat with agreed upon rules of engagement. To be unorthadox would imply a direct breaking of the rules or a simple exploitation of what the rules don't say. I may have to spar you again one day, it would be nice if you could provide specific details in how I may defeat you.:angel:
Sean

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a lot of CMA in our system. When I'm not doing kenpo, I'm working on one of the northern forms I've been taught. Currently a 2 sectional staff form and a 2 man broadsword set.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I sorta' cheated I guess: practiced kung fu san soo for about four years while also doing Shaolin Kempo (not EPAK, so you can throw me off if necessary :) ). But my Grand Master always fondly called kfss 'ugly kung fu', because it's really about combat in close quarters (at least as he taught it). So, one ends up turning to face opponents in four--or eight--points in a circle (eight spokes of the kenpo wheel, anyone?), all without moving more than a yard or so in any direction off beginning point. Provides a great contrast to SKK forms, and comparing/contrasting really gets the brain working.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TOD,

I will release Kenpotroops secret weapon...at least on me. He has monkey arms! His arms are longer than my legs so I avoid sparring him whenever I can. You are more his size TOD.

If anyone has a "secret weapon" for me to use against him please let me know. I am vertically challenged and getting in close doesn't seem to work yet.

Steve

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TOD,

I will release Kenpotroops secret weapon...at least on me. He has monkey arms! His arms are longer than my legs so I avoid sparring him whenever I can. You are more his size TOD.

If anyone has a "secret weapon" for me to use against him please let me know. I am vertically challenged and getting in close doesn't seem to work yet.

Steve
His forward Bow is pure evil, so I don't know what to tell ya. I thought mine was devoid of wasted motion until I saw his... Damnit!
Sean

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice what is known to few, revered by many and considered the deadliest of arts arts....Escaping the Honey-do-list!!!!!!!!!
An ancient art taught within the secret confines of the basements and garages of thousands upon thousands of households....Passed down from father to son in a veil of secrecy.....A holy alliegence sworn to avenge!!!!
REMEMBER ALL YOU NEED IS TWO WORDS: "yes dear!"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I practice what is known to few, revered by many and considered the deadliest of arts arts....Escaping the Honey-do-list!!!!!!!!!
An ancient art taught within the secret confines of the basements and garages of thousands upon thousands of households....Passed down from father to son in a veil of secrecy.....A holy alliegence sworn to avenge!!!!
REMEMBER ALL YOU NEED IS TWO WORDS: "yes dear!"
Ah agreeing with, but still not doing what they say. Sometimes that trick backfires.
Sean

sealth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
american kenpo and jujitsu for me but, for street use i stick with kenpo. i want to keep he fight standing .not have a guy in a armbar while his buddy smashes a beer bottle on my head.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah agreeing with, but still not doing what they say. Sometimes that trick backfires.
Sean
That's why the well rounded MA adds to his arsenal of tactics...."folded ears" one the best known defenses...I typically wait for my wife to make several statements...then I give her a glassy eye look and say something like:"HHMMMM what??? did you say something dear?"
Remember any great technique is only attained by years of practice.....

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
His f can orward Bow is pure evil, so I don't know what to tell ya. I thought mine was devoid of wasted motion until I saw his... Damnit!
Sean

I have an excellent teacher.

Remember anyone can beat anyone on any given day. I just get lucky.

Kenpobuff we need to spar more

Latest Discussions