KT:What If ... and ... Equation Formula

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
What If ... and ... Equation Formula
By michaeledward - 07-26-2008 08:51 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I was just thinking a bit as I responded to Bill's thread. I made the statement that I believe the 'What If' ideas are presented too soon in Kenpo for most students.

To be on the record, I really think the examinations of What If should take place as a Black Belt. There have been several discussion that tell us receiving a black belt is the 'beginning onf study' for martial arts. And it seems to me these two ideas fit together nicely.

As I was thinking, it occured to me that I believe the Equation Formula should be introduced before black belt. And, the way that I like to introduce the Equation Formual is with a Suffix; 'Add a Move'. The 'add a move' instruction, I believe is very useful to the student, to ensure they have reached the end of a written technique with correct body mechanics. The written techniques put us into a position, usually, where we can suffix the technique. If we can't, then perhaps we need to examine the technique more closely.

Again, on the record, I don't like to start talking about 'Add a Move' until the student has advanced a couple of belt ranks from the technique in question. (I don't 'add a move' to delayed sword in the first lesson).

When working the Equation Formula, certainly Suffix is the easiest concept to present. I believe it can start earliest. Prefixing and Deleted are not difficult to pick up, as well, I think. But the more advanced aspects certianly take years to understand and develop.

What occured to me, perhaps for the first time this morning, is that the 'What If' is a Second Person point of view (usually), whereas the 'Equation Formula' is a First Person point of view (usually).

This thought reinforced my attitude that 'What if' should be taught later, rather than earlier. I believe the student sees all the actions from the First Person for a long time (and it is something I still struggle with). Why then would we attempt to teach him using Second Person point of view before the Equation (I am making the assumption that many teach What If before Equation Formula ~ I think because it is easier to do 'What If'.)

I mentioned in another post not long ago that I believe a new pedagogy is necessary for American Kenpo. This, I think, would be one very important idea; to begin the Equation Formula discussion before the What If discussion; because that is the way, I think, most students understand themselves.

I don't really have a question ... just some thoughts for discussion. If you get some random thoughts inspired from these, please share.

Mike

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What If ... and ... Equation Formula
By michaeledward - 07-26-2008 08:51 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk
====================

I was just thinking a bit as I responded to Bill's thread. I made the statement that I believe the 'What If' ideas are presented too soon in Kenpo for most students.

To be on the record, I really think the examinations of What If should take place as a Black Belt. There have been several discussion that tell us receiving a black belt is the 'beginning onf study' for martial arts. And it seems to me these two ideas fit together nicely.

As I was thinking, it occured to me that I believe the Equation Formula should be introduced before black belt. And, the way that I like to introduce the Equation Formual is with a Suffix; 'Add a Move'. The 'add a move' instruction, I believe is very useful to the student, to ensure they have reached the end of a written technique with correct body mechanics. The written techniques put us into a position, usually, where we can suffix the technique. If we can't, then perhaps we need to examine the technique more closely.

Again, on the record, I don't like to start talking about 'Add a Move' until the student has advanced a couple of belt ranks from the technique in question. (I don't 'add a move' to delayed sword in the first lesson).

When working the Equation Formula, certainly Suffix is the easiest concept to present. I believe it can start earliest. Prefixing and Deleted are not difficult to pick up, as well, I think. But the more advanced aspects certianly take years to understand and develop.

What occured to me, perhaps for the first time this morning, is that the 'What If' is a Second Person point of view (usually), whereas the 'Equation Formula' is a First Person point of view (usually).

This thought reinforced my attitude that 'What if' should be taught later, rather than earlier. I believe the student sees all the actions from the First Person for a long time (and it is something I still struggle with). Why then would we attempt to teach him using Second Person point of view before the Equation (I am making the assumption that many teach What If before Equation Formula ~ I think because it is easier to do 'What If'.)

I mentioned in another post not long ago that I believe a new pedagogy is necessary for American Kenpo. This, I think, would be one very important idea; to begin the Equation Formula discussion before the What If discussion; because that is the way, I think, most students understand themselves.

I don't really have a question ... just some thoughts for discussion. If you get some random thoughts inspired from these, please share.

Mike

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

I don't necessarily start the what if questions at a certain belt rank. I start them once the student has the base technique down well enough. This is sooner for some than others. The readiness of the student dictates when I teach it.

Latest Discussions