KT:An Observation...and A Question...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
An Observation...and A Question...
By Juggernaut - Fri, 06 Apr 2007 02:26:43 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I realize that I am a relative newbie within the realm or universe of Kenpo, however I have been seriously (obsessively) studying the martial arts for 17 years. I have read a great deal of threads on the various forums. And I have definitly learned a great deal as well as scratched my head a few times at some of the topics as in I haven't learned enough kenpo to assimilate some of the information. I have also watched hours upon hours of kenpo practitioners, instructors and so on....on youtube including the late SGM Ed Parker (which he is amazing to watch). There are many internet videos demoing one or more of the self defense techniques. I am aware that there are variations of the material that SGM Parker taught as well as extensions. It appears that "nearly" all of the demos or examples of techniques I have seen contain many prefix's or suffix's within the movement and in many cases is done as fast as possible making it very difficult to analyze or truely observe.

Is it common within kenpo to prefix or suffix on a regular basis as a student becomes more advanced such as black belt?

Personally I would think that a higher level would further refine, dissect, analyze, and "pressure test" the basic material so that it brings deeper understanding and potential application of the advanced movments. I myself have have really enjoyed looking at Delayed Sword from different perspectives as well as the principles that are the "skeleton" of the technique.

The reason I even chose to finally ask this question here is that it is completely evident that there are some very high level martial artists within the kenpotalk boards. And from what I have read many of you if not most of you constantly strive to look deeper into your beloved art.

Sorry for ranting...I hope it made sense.

Thank you for your time,

Respectfully

James Bullock

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Kenpo 2006

White Belt
Reaction score
Just give Kenpo time....I have only studied Kenpo for 11 years and sometimes I think many people skim over everything SGM Parker meant for it to be. However, The original techs are bones. As you grow and progress you will begin to understand the application of the principles that give flesh to the techs. Prefixing, suffixing, rearrangement and all of the other principles that apear to mix it up give you spontineity and reflex for the street and when you learn to apply them you will see that the more you sofisticate Kenpo motion the greater understanding and appreciation you have of the base techniques.