Krav talk...

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There hasn't been much Krav talk for awhile so I am going to try and get some started. KMWW sucks and IKMF rules...discuss. Just kidding. My Black Belt in Krav is through KMWW lineage but most of my training was with IKMF. My IKMF instructors sometimes bad-mouth other Krav affiliates as being to "fitness oriented" but I haven't seen much of a difference. Krav defintely has a unique signiture so it's easy to tell if something is pure Krav, as oppossed to Krav-fu. I began training in Krav to fill in the self defense gaps that my traditonal martial arts training had. Any other Krav brothers and sisters here? Background? Hopefully we can get some good Krav talk going.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a Krav guy, but I’ve been wondering for a little while now...

What’s your screen name all about? Are you a fellow Armenian? I can’t read it without pronouncing it in my Armenian accent.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started krav four years ago in a training seminar with fifty some peole. Five of us just successfully tested for black belt. my original art is Tang soo do. Started that two years earlier. I simultaneously studied krav, TSD, TKD, and kempo. Earned my second degree in TSD, first in TKD, first in kempo. I was the over achiever superstar guy who takes it way too seriously. Then I married my TSD instructor, had a baby, now I only study krav.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just started taking Krav recently with a KMA Affiliate. I have wanted to study it for years, but there wasn't anything around until recently. I studied Kenpo, Shootfighting, and Budo Taijutsu mostly over the years. I never attained the rank of Black Belt in anything, but I've learned a ton and had a lot of fun. Krav is the one I've always really wanted to study and I am really excited to finally be studying it.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not a Krav guy, but I’ve been wondering for a little while now...

What’s your screen name all about? Are you a fellow Armenian? I can’t read it without pronouncing it in my Armenian accent.

Kababayan roughly means fellow Filipino (or Filipino brother or sister.) I'm American but Filipino by marriage.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started krav four years ago in a training seminar with fifty some peole. Five of us just successfully tested for black belt. my original art is Tang soo do. Started that two years earlier. I simultaneously studied krav, TSD, TKD, and kempo. Earned my second degree in TSD, first in TKD, first in kempo. I was the over achiever superstar guy who takes it way too seriously. Then I married my TSD instructor, had a baby, now I only study krav.

Seriously? Your story is almost exactly like mine...minus the "marrying my instructor" part. My first Black Belt is in Tang Soo Do. I took Kempo forever, and I got serious about Krav about five years ago. I owned a dojo for years and love training in other disciplines. I like Krav because it fills in the self defense gaps that some of my others arts have.

Thisposthuman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am 14 months into krav, I started as need to increase my empty hand options while working in private security. I got into a scrap and came out ok, but realized i had no fundimentals to rely on. After 8months of training krav, I started getting in M.T. and now that is a regular part od my training also.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am 14 months into krav, I started as need to increase my empty hand options while working in private security. I got into a scrap and came out ok, but realized i had no fundimentals to rely on. After 8months of training krav, I started getting in M.T. and now that is a regular part od my training also.

What I love about Krav is that the moves are very easy to pick up. It isn't one of those disciplines where it takes four years to become applicable.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question for you all: Do you burst (KMWW term) forward or to the side? KMWW and IKMF focus on bursting forward, the idea being to meet aggression with aggression. IKMA teaches to side step away so that you have more time to defend. Thoughts? I think both have their place, although I like bursting forward because it plays into the "element of surprise" that the defender has. The attacker isn't expecting their victim to meet force with force. I do like the side step as a split second addition of blocking time however I feel that it puts a person in the "power zone" of the strike. David Kahn knows his stuff, though, so I don't doubt it's effectiveness.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question for you all: Do you burst (KMWW term) forward or to the side? KMWW and IKMF focus on bursting forward, the idea being to meet aggression with aggression. IKMA teaches to side step away so that you have more time to defend. Thoughts? I think both have their place, although I like bursting forward because it plays into the "element of surprise" that the defender has. The attacker isn't expecting their victim to meet force with force. I do like the side step as a split second addition of blocking time however I feel that it puts a person in the "power zone" of the strike. David Kahn knows his stuff, though, so I don't doubt it's effectiveness.
Both. I prefer the side if I can get to it but I'm not too picky. Going straight in and close, that area is what I call the maximum danger zone. It's the most dangerous area, but it goes both ways. Go into the maximum danger zone only if you have to, but if you have to, you better make good use of it. It's not a position to defend from. Only a position to attack.

Last edited:

Thisposthuman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The instructors at my school are aggressive and so we pretty much always (by way of repetition and attitude) burst inward to the enemy...I agree with the with statement on krav having gaps in knifs defense, however I believe rhat is why it has to be done in a aggressive manor. I AM NOT A MASTER OR BLACK BELT, so it's just my opinion based on my own experience, you burst inward to the attack to keep the assailant from getting a 2nd chance should you not make great contact in the 360 defense or trap the weapon limb. Also the immediate counter is insurence to stop the assailants motion.

Last edited:

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga has alot dangerous techniques, especially the unrealistic knife defenses.
I disagree. Lowsy krav aka Crap Maga is dangerous. usually taught by someone with small knowledge and little experience. I have to say, a knife is dangerous, PERIOD. there is no good course of close quarters combat, especially if someone is good with a knife. I was once asked by a new student, frustrated by the difficulty of knife defense, "how would you defend"? I told them "run away or shoot them before they can get too close".

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, as a father of two toddlers without much time, KM beats couch-fu any day. It's basic, fast, and I like it. I couldn't care less about the constant penis measuring contests.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest point my instructor taught me, and what I will stress to any student is if you have to confront a threat, you better be the most aggressive and the one with the most advantages. If you get caught with your pants down, you'd better have more than a pecker in there.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's good to know what to do and it's great to develop a finesse. However, I warn to never engage in a fight when the odds are against you. Find a way to change the odds. Even the best knife defender has a pretty iffy chance. You need to find a way to change the odds. When the status quo says you get sliced, you need to change the status quo. Run or procure a weapon. Any weapon. Could be a lunchbox, a stereo, a shopping basket, or a weapon you actually trained in. I have told students that if you have to confront any shooter or knifer while unarmed, you better be sure you need to try because you stand a good chance of getting killed. Sometimes people have to be ready for that. But still, train as much as you can.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who doing such a contest?

The theory of mine is a simple one, if you want to be a car mechanic you have to know how a car works and operates. If you want to learn how to defend against a knife you need to learn how to wield and operate a knife.

The trend you see now is that Krav Maga organisations are getting extra courses from this organisation Home Page , which is a simplified version of FMA and some western knife fighting thrown in there.
I train in firearms. I recomend all students own, carry, and train in them. firearms are the common thing in the US.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who doing such a contest?

The theory of mine is a simple one, if you want to be a car mechanic you have to know how a car works and operates. If you want to learn how to defend against a knife you need to learn how to wield and operate a knife.

The trend you see now is that Krav Maga organisations are getting extra courses from this organisation Home Page , which is a simplified version of FMA and some western knife fighting thrown in there.

I didn't mean to imply that you were measuring or anything. I was just saying in general, there is no shortage of trash talk about Krav or any other system if you look around the forums/internet. I am simply saying for me, it's better than nothing since I don't have a lot of time anymore. I have studied weapons arts and I value those as well, but I am attracted to Krav with my current lifestyle.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga has alot dangerous techniques, especially the unrealistic knife defenses.

I respectfully disagree. I have an Arnis background and teach knife personal protection classes. I don't use any of my Arnis stuff in my classes, minus attacking the tendons. Some of the "knife arts" contain mainly knife vs knife drills that can give students a false sense of security regarding open-hand knife defense. They contain a lot of in-close parrying and redirecting-to-disarm, which is really cool for "martial artist vs. martial artist" but not the best for "random guy constantly stabbing." I think Krav defenses are some of the most realistic defenses out there. Knives are very scary and, in my opinion, are some of the most mis-taught techniques in the martial arts. I agree with Runs With Fire, as there is a lot of people claiming to teach real Krav, but they don't (for various reasons that we can discuss if it comes up later.)

I think Michael Janich has some really practical ways of dealing with knives (double arm block + grab). There is also a video on Youtube where a police officer explains his most practical knife defense (a double arm block + grab). I forgot what the video was called. Knife defenses are something that people should train as much as any other defense. Unfortunately, many dojos treat knife defenses as "special classes" and rarely teach them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The theory of mine is a simple one, if you want to be a car mechanic you have to know how a car works and operates..

Speaking as an old ex-auto mechanic and current IT guy.... you actually need to know a lot more about computers and how they work and how to read computer diagnostics than you need to know about a car these days....but what do I know, when I started as a mechanic we were still rebuilding stuff, not just remove and replace like it was when I finally left the field.... but I get y our point

However I don't see the connection to the webpage you supplied and Krav Maga schools in my area. But I will also say not all Krav maga schools are created equal, but that can be said of virtually any marital art style that is taught at a school

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IKMF, KMG and KMWW all use the 360 defense as a standard defense for knife attacks, with some follow ups ofcourse.

I'm not sure were you are from but in Holland we don't have alot of "Crap Maga", most teachers here have an extensive background in Muay Thay or Kickboxing but not in weapon based arts.

We also have different rules regarding fire arms, they are simply not allowed in Holland, so running away might be an option, shooting someone isn't.

You been doing 4 years of Krav Maga? And how many years of weapons based arts did you do?

I think what Runs With Fire was saying is that there are a lot of people who are either not that good at Krav and its principals, got a certificate from a so-called or made-up "Krav affiliate", or is a "Krav-fu" teacher (one who has blended Krav with something else.) I agree with his statement that there are a lot of crappy Krav instructors out there. Krav, to me, is like BJJ when it first came to the U.S. Because of the popularity of BJJ in the UFC, many dojos began advertising that they teach BJJ just because an instructor did a two-week course at some BJJ camp. Krav is getting that reputation. There is a big push from the main Krav organizations to keep Krav Maga from becoming a generic term like Karate or Kung Fu. Unfortunately even some of the respected organizations offer two-week instructor courses, open to students with limited experience. The courses aren't meant to teach the entire system, but rather the first levels...but the reality is that many instructors take those beginner courses and Youtube or video the rest of the moves and call themselves full Krav instructors.

Latest Discussions