Krav Exercises OUTSIDE of Class

juzam

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what some KM'ers are doing to stay in shape or progress faster in class by doing workouts outside of class. Drills? Weight training?
I used to be a weight room kind of guy and my old routine is sort of a hinderance right now to class, mainly because of the levels of soreness I'm used to, trying to build muscle mass and such.
I could definitely use the help in building endurance (I'll run every once and a while) but my main concern is keeping the muscle definition, strength and size I'm used to with just heavy weight training.

Thanks,
Juzam

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about weightlifting or bodybuilding - but I did make a thread in the beginner's corner about how to supplement MA's with weight training - got some good feedback you might want to take into consideration

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40557

For right now I"m just hitting the gym whenever I have a day off from MA's and hitting as many compound/freeweight exercises as I can, in addition to a light cardio & bag work. My schedules hectic to the point that I can only count on 2 days of weight training per week. I'm thinking of beginning the sisco-little routine at some point in the future, seems like its worth a shot and works without 3+ days of weights per week.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what some KM'ers are doing to stay in shape or progress faster in class by doing workouts outside of class. Drills? Weight training?
I used to be a weight room kind of guy and my old routine is sort of a hinderance right now to class, mainly because of the levels of soreness I'm used to, trying to build muscle mass and such.
I could definitely use the help in building endurance (I'll run every once and a while) but my main concern is keeping the muscle definition, strength and size I'm used to with just heavy weight training.

Thanks,
Juzam

If you're new to Krav Maga and are studying intensely, then I'd say let your body adjust to the new regimen before undertaking additional body stressors. Perhaps only one weightlifting session a week with lesser intensity than your powerlifting days? Experts say that even once weekly resistance training is extremely beneficial. In any case, best of luck finding what works for you and welcome to Martial Talk!

OP
J

juzam

White Belt
Reaction score
Dok - Thanks for the great thread. I will do some more research on Mentzer's book and the Sisco/Little book also. Right now I'm thinking calisthenics and body weight exercises are the way to go.

Jonathon - I'm pretty much doing what you described in your post. 2 weeks ago was my first day back doing weight training and I started KM little over 2 months ago. My body was pretty sore for the first couple weeks, mainly due to fatigue of the repitition of certain movements.

Any specific exercises you guys prefer to do outside of class that you feel improves your performance in class?

Juzam

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dok - Thanks for the great thread. I will do some more research on Mentzer's book and the Sisco/Little book also. Right now I'm thinking calisthenics and body weight exercises are the way to go.

Jonathon - I'm pretty much doing what you described in your post. 2 weeks ago was my first day back doing weight training and I started KM little over 2 months ago. My body was pretty sore for the first couple weeks, mainly due to fatigue of the repitition of certain movements.

Any specific exercises you guys prefer to do outside of class that you feel improves your performance in class?

Juzam

I found that in MA, doing slow concentration sidekicks while maintaining the best balance possible (no bobbing up and down or leaning over) while not going any higher than you can do so with as close to technical perfection as possible is one of the best things you can do. Also, try very light arm weights and do multiple exercises with super high repetitions and with minimal or no rest. This will train your endurance and help you keep your guard up even at the end of a long class.

Let us know how it goes.

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As an alternative, or supplement to weight training, I try to do some conditioning exercises - I've been doing "normal" burpees and weighted dumbell squats. Came across this video that has some interesting stuff from bodyweightculture.com

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

juzam

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

I was just going over the bodyweightculture website and it looks really interesting. I think I might try starting it and see where it takes me. The exercises look relatively easy and efficient. I'll start another thread to see if anyone else has tried that particularly philosophy of training. If it works out, I'll definitely do less weight resisitance exercises. I'm slow enough as it is.

Juzam

Latest Discussions