Kosho Shorei-ry Kenpo question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
...or should it be Kosho Shorei-ryū Kempo

Aside from all the James Mitose stuff what can you tell me about Kosho Shorei-ryū Kenpo as a martial art?

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a practitioner, but I have seen an instructional video on that style by Bruce Juchnik. It looked fairly similar to the Parker kenpo that I have done. Tough to tell from a video, but that's my useless opinion.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
My teacher ranks in Kosho and Tracy systems of kenpo and I've had occasion to work with Mr. Juchnik. I'm not an expert, but...

• It's not technique-based like many other kenpo systems, but rather concept based. You learn specific ideas and apply them rather than memorizing the application.
  • Uses more redirection of force and using the opponent's force against them than kenpo does, but keeps kenpo's signature rapid fire attacks.
  • Katas come from the traditional Japanse sets, plus some that appear to be unique to Kosho.
  • Kosho uses weapons, particularly katana and jo. Stick, knife and other weapons show up in training, used as instruments to apply the concepts.

Google Bruce Juchnik and Larry Kraxberger for some leads on where to learn more. It's an interesting art, although I'd recommend it for somebody who's already got experience. Like aikido, it's got a longer lag between your first class and street effectiveness than, say, kenpo or krav maga.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well you could start with their website:

http://www.skski.net/SKSKI/Home.html

Also searching YouTube has several videos of Bruce Juchnik in action now posted - along with other factions of Kosho e.g., Thomas Barro Mitose, KRI Canada.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My teacher ranks in Kosho and Tracy systems of kenpo and I've had occasion to work with Mr. Juchnik. I'm not an expert, but...

• It's not technique-based like many other kenpo systems, but rather concept based. You learn specific ideas and apply them rather than memorizing the application.
  • Uses more redirection of force and using the opponent's force against them than kenpo does, but keeps kenpo's signature rapid fire attacks.
  • Katas come from the traditional Japanse sets, plus some that appear to be unique to Kosho.
  • Kosho uses weapons, particularly katana and jo. Stick, knife and other weapons show up in training, used as instruments to apply the concepts.
Google Bruce Juchnik and Larry Kraxberger for some leads on where to learn more. It's an interesting art, although I'd recommend it for somebody who's already got experience. Like aikido, it's got a longer lag between your first class and street effectiveness than, say, kenpo or krav maga.

To some extent it reminds me of Taijiquan (with the MA still intact) and I have been doing that for years. Particularly "specific ideas and apply them rather than memorizing the application" and "Uses more redirection of force and using the opponent's force against them" bits

Thanks

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Collective Society is something Hanshi Bruce Juchnik has been organizing for a few years. They meet once a year to do a big training from high ranking guys from all kinds of martial arts.

The notion is to cross train, spend time together and to preserve the history of the various martial arts out there. Also, beer figures in heavily.

Latest Discussions