knifework and these arts

antec20

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi there. i'm new to knifework. i'm looking at Bujinkan, San Miguel Eskrima/Doce Pares and 5 animal kenpo for knifework.

how do each of these compare for knifework? i've looked at each in person and i can't seem to tell.

i was told by the sijo of 5 animal kenpo that the knifework is based upon Wing Chun and Fencing. this same teacher is also a black sash in wing chun, has been doing it for 20 years, is a Master of Arms in Fencing.

i have the three websites for each of the places if that helps.
www.geocities.com/bujinkanmartialartscenter
capitaldocepares.com
www.haineskenpo.com

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Generally speaking for "knifework" I would recommend a filipino art,escrima/ kali/arnis over japanese or chinese styles.
THat is generally speaking and and it depends on the instructors skill and how much emphasis that style puts on knifework.
Why do you want to learn knifework anyway?

Take a look at some of Mark Wileys books to start.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mark Whiley was my first FMA instructor . His books are very good , you should definatly read them if you are interested in FMA . Good advice Brothershaw ! There's plenty of FMA instructors around , try one out it might answer some questions for you . If a Sayoc Kali school should surface in your area I would highly recammend that you check it out .

Latest Discussions