Kicking and kicking and more kicking

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
YEAP THE DOJANG I GO IS KICKING AND KICKING AND MORE KICKING, WITH LITTLE BASICS (HAND TECHS, STANCES, BLOCKS/PARRYS, ONE STEPES, THREE STEPS, HO SI SUL) AND SOME POOMSAE.

NOW MY SAMBONIM HAS GONE AND THE DOJANG IS IN CHARGE OF THE NEW SABONIM NOTHING IS GONA CHANGE. THE CLASS i HAD IS GONE TOO, NOW IN THAT PERIOD OF TIME ZUMBA AND CARDIO BUT NO TKD.

THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS GIVING CLASS TO THE CHILDREN AND ASIST IN THE TEENS/MOMS CLASS, SO I NEED TO REVALUATE IF I STAY OR FLY AWAY TO ANOTHER DOJANG/DOJO.

THE WAY I SEE AND TEACH TKD IS PAYING ATENTION TO TKD AS A MARTIAL ART AS A WHOLE NOT ONLT STEP KICK, STEP KICK, AND STEP KICK.

SO WELL.... LET'S SEE WHAT IS AVAILABLE, AMERICAN KENPO? PERHAPS, I HAVE GOOD FRIENDS AND ALREADY KNOW THT THING, SHOTOKAN KARATE PERHAPS MAYBE I CAN OBNTAIN WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR A TRULY CLASIC MARTIAL ART.

MANNY

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's time for you to try something new. Dan Inosanto made what is for me probably the most interesting and astute comments on studying martials arts, in this video (4:35 - 5:45). I won't paraphrase....just have a look.

Time for something new Manny!

Last edited by a moderator:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would suggest you find a new school if you don't like the one you go to. Pick the school based on the teacher(s) and students, not based on a specific art.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, stop punishing yourself and find a new path. You need to get the monkey off your back or it will bring you down.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah do something new. Pick something fun. Why not?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny, it seems like you feel caught between the Art you love & the way it's being taught in the dojang you go to. I understand that struggle. I've left schools both by choice and because they closed. Leaving a school for any reason can be really painful when we love the Art. But sometimes, it's best to take a step back and change the place we train, or even the Art we train in for our own mental health. Sometimes that change (even if it's for a little while) can help renew our love for it.

I wish you the best, my friend.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thankj you all for your words and advises, will look sormething new and refreshing, something that keeps me interested, something that makes me smile and open mind to learn new stuff, I have good friends in the Kenpo karate circle so maybe will go to visit them.

Manny

karatemom3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I had the same thing happen to me at a TSD school. An instructor from another school came in and took over the evening "adult" classes. He did away with ho sin sul and we spent weeks doing round kicks to head while hopping forward on one foot or blitz punching. Every thing was geared to sparring. When I talked to school owner/master he raved about the instructor. " He trains world class fighters." I don't want to be a world class fighter. I stuck with it for longer than I should have out of loyalty but I left every class feeling betrayed. When the school owner stood up in front of 200 people and said TSD was all about beating the crap out of someone I knew it was time to move on. I found a Shotokan school that teaches traditional katas and effective self defense. It is challenging despite years of training. It was very humbling starting over as a white belt [ my choice ] but I am glad I did. I agree with everyone else. It's time to move on. Good luck.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, I had the same thing happen to me at a TSD school. An instructor from another school came in and took over the evening "adult" classes. He did away with ho sin sul and we spent weeks doing round kicks to head while hopping forward on one foot or blitz punching. Every thing was geared to sparring. When I talked to school owner/master he raved about the instructor. " He trains world class fighters." I don't want to be a world class fighter. I stuck with it for longer than I should have out of loyalty but I left every class feeling betrayed. When the school owner stood up in front of 200 people and said TSD was all about beating the crap out of someone I knew it was time to move on. I found a Shotokan school that teaches traditional katas and effective self defense. It is challenging despite years of training. It was very humbling starting over as a white belt [ my choice ] but I am glad I did. I agree with everyone else. It's time to move on. Good luck.

Thank you very much. It seems to me even I love my actual dojang I have to leave it in a short period of time. I am an adult who wants self defense and traditional training and my beloved dojang does not fullfill my needs. I am a third dan currently in TKD and know the begining in a new martial art or dojo will put me in the back of the line (kup/dan ladder) but as you mentioned that's the way it is.

I have kenpo karate or shotokan karate on the sight, in the kenpo karate I have some experience becaus I trained from 2009-2010 and got an orange belt, in shotokan I had one or two lessons on it. I like both but will need to think with one, I have the time. What drags me into my actual dojang is my sambonim left without giving me my 3rd dan certificate and I need it.

Thank you very much againg and I will tell you all how it went all this matter.

Manny

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assume that the certificate you're waiting for is a Kukkiwon certificate. That can take several months to get from Korea. If it is Kukkiwon, you can look it up here.
World Taekwondo Headquarters Toward the bottom is "Check for Poom/Dan Certificate."

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume that the certificate you're waiting for is a Kukkiwon certificate. That can take several months to get from Korea. If it is Kukkiwon, you can look it up here.
World Taekwondo Headquarters Toward the bottom is "Check for Poom/Dan Certificate."

Nop, it's not the kukiwon certificate is the kwan certificate or the certificate of the school/organization.

I don't have any kukiwon certification.

Manny

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does that cert carry reciprocity in other schools?

If you're stuck picking a school, flip a coin. How you feel about the result will tell you what you really want. If you dont feel one way or the other, just go with one and see if you like it. If not, try the other.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nop, it's not the kukiwon certificate is the kwan certificate or the certificate of the school/organization.

I don't have any kukiwon certification.

Manny

Okay, I'd wait to move on (if that's what you choose to do) until you receive your Kwan certificate.

I picked up boxing and full contact rules kickboxing for a few years as a supplement to TKD. It really energized my love for TKD. All my best in where ever your journey takes you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny just find another place to train a few days a week while still going to TKD. This way you get a few days of kicking and also can learn something new for your soul.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny just find another place to train a few days a week while still going to TKD. This way you get a few days of kicking and also can learn something new for your soul.

This is what I am doing Terry, I go to dojang twice a week and go visit some martial art friends infact I think I will return to the martial arts club gatterings (once a month) and if need it will be visit another dojos (kenpo or karate ones). I will keep in my dojang waiting to my certification and see how it works for me in the next months with the new boss lol.

Manny

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you, sounds like things are getting better

Cho, Yeonsoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
in my humble, minimal experience compared to you, I would move schools but continue this art and also search for a secondary art :) also, please don't say Dojo as a taekwondo practitioner... U

Latest Discussions