Kickboxing vs Taekwondo

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is an example of Mall TKD, an instructor of TKD with 9 years experience vs a 1 year grappler of experience in BJJ.
It didn't post the link earlier.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In general, I would agree with you.
However... that depends on what is being taught under the name TKD. There is several differant animals running around with the TKD name on it.

What was taught to US Airforce Policemen, and US Army Soldiers, and their Korean counterparts that was tested in the Korean war, and Vietnam war under the names Tang Soo Do and TaeKwonDo is a different critter, than what Scoccermom Susie Homemaker's 15 year old boy takes at the mall on Wednesdays and Saturdays to win regional trophies in point tournaments.

What's taught and learned by soldiers always tends to be more combat oriented than what is taught to the general population. Further, a soldier in general is more than likely going to be a more dangerous individual than a librarian who does a martial art as a hobby.

I'm talking about on average, and on average the majority of TKD schools are belt factories. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, because they're businesses first and foremost, and kids love belts.

Here is an example of Mall TKD, an instructor of TKD with 9 years experience vs a 1 year grappler of experience in BJJ.

What's your point?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's taught and learned by soldiers always tends to be more combat oriented than what is taught to the general population. Further, a soldier in general is more than likely going to be a more dangerous individual than a librarian who does a martial art as a hobby.

I'm talking about on average, and on average the majority of TKD schools are belt factories. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, because they're businesses first and foremost, and kids love belts.

What's your point?
Simply that not all types of TKD is equally effective.
MT maybe be stronger or weaker depending on which

S-K-K

White Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxer can easily beat a Taekwondo athlete,
Here is the reason why: Kickboxers are good in boxing and they have been taught strictly to pick their guard up. Which most Taekwondo athletes fail in.

And, a lot of kickboxers even (American kickboxers) don't use many high kicks they use kicks to waist. High kicks can be risky in a street fight.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the reason why: Kickboxers are good in boxing and they have been taught strictly to pick their guard up. Which most Taekwondo athletes fail in.
And, a lot of kickboxers even (American kickboxers) don't use many high kicks they use kicks to waist. High kicks can be risky in a street fight.
its a two year old thread, were your bored or something ?

but go on then, are you saying that if a kickboxer and tkd guy had a street fight the kickboxer would win because he can't kick as high?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Waist kick would be riskier. More chance of getting caught.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
These are such silly arguments. Why do people assume tkd athletes wouldn't have hands up in a "fight." Athletes fight with hands down because it is generally advantageous to do so under WTF rules. I guess the safest way to beat a BJJ guy is to tap and then club him when he lets go. Maybe Master Ken was on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes a kickboxer can beat a taekwondo guy....but a taekwondo could also beat a kickboxer. Any kind of kick is risky in a fight. And actually kickboxers do use a lot of high kicks.

Obviously you're biased so are going to say your styles the best...have you ever even done taekwondo

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are such silly arguments. Why do people assume tkd athletes wouldn't have hands up in a "fight." Athletes fight with hands down because it is generally advantageous to do so under WTF rules. I guess the safest way to beat a BJJ guy is to tap and then club him when he lets go. Maybe Master Ken was on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely look at Anderson silva, best Muay Thai fighter in mma and always fights with his hands down, Stephen Thompson kickboxer and karate fighter always has hands down. Just because they do it in the ring doesn't mean they can't raise there hands when needed.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If we are talking about the Olympics version of TKD, I would rate Kickboxing as more effective than it, purely because it better resembles a real fight than Olympics TKD.

Latest Discussions