Ki Chuan Do

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also think this will help my flow and spontaneus reactions.

Did your WC school teach you guys to be more rigid? Or did you guys learn flow as well as routine techniques?

My Sifu always emphasize WC has a flow when sparring and in combat. He always said to use your flow!

Eru Ilúvatar;1120905 said:
At Ebmas we had some realistic training methods. But nothing spectacular. At my latest WC school the most realistic training was "hard" Chi Sao. I have allways trained as realisticly as possible in my "free" time tho.

Anyway thats one of the main reasons I went to visit this KCD school. And the first lesson is behind me. I have mixed feelings about the class but I can't realy judge on my first lesson. What I can say is that they seem to be a pretty no-boolsheet type of class which I like. The people there are mostly bodyguards, cops or military. I was the youngest guy there.

I liked the way they train against multiple attackers. I also liked the way my WC handled in this kind of training. Considering the time the guys there are training their Contact flow(which is basicly a bit non-technical Chi Sao where everything goes) they are pretty good. It turns out this has been in my hometown for a good month. Another interesting thing is that they hardly teach techniques they only tell you which are the primary targets you should be focused on and tell you the basic tactics like directness, simplicity, flow and nearest weapon to nearest target. WC basicly just a bit diffrent execution.

I get the feeling that I won't be getting technicaly better from this but I feel this kind of training is a very good method to find out what works for my from my WC training and what doesn't. I also think this will help my flow and spontaneus reactions.

One interesting thing I noticed was diffrence in power generation; they seem to get their power from dropping(you drop your weight on the fron leg while hitting) instead of the WC way where we use body structure/alignment from a relatively natural and upstanding position.

In any case I can't realy judge from my first lesson. I decided I'll stick for a month and then I'll be able to decide better whether this kind of training is realy what I want/need.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sparring Blind folded – nope because this does not simulate any real street event. If you are blinded, you will be feeling pain etc and will react differently
Sparring in a dark room – same reason, but your sensitivity in chi sao will give you better reactions than most
Sparring in a small room like a bathroom – we have many small kwoons where space is a premium. Practising in a small crowded area is better than training one on one in a tiny room
Sparring with one hand (only) – yes. But again, in a real fight, if your hand is broke, chopped off etc, you won’t react the same way
Sparring on the ground (Kneeling or sitting) – yes hence the need for BJJ
Sparring against Multiple opponents – all the time, but you must know your limits. No matter how good you are, numbers always beats skill. Personally I have fought 12 guys in a brawl and come out alive, but most of it was luck
Sparring up against a wall – yes all the time. Kevin Chan is one of the best I’ve seen at dealing with this and usually does demos where he allows one of his instructors to push him into a wall with any force they like in any position they like and he destroys them

Yoshiatsu, you seem to want to prepare for the worst. What with your defence against Mace and your recent post on the need for wing chun being tested in the ring etc
Are you a pessimist? You can’t live your life in too much fear. ***** happens. It just does. You can try to prepare for it, but life will just chuck worser stuff at you!

OP
E

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did your WC school teach you guys to be more rigid? Or did you guys learn flow as well as routine techniques?

My Sifu always emphasize WC has a flow when sparring and in combat. He always said to use your flow!

No, we were thought to relax and flow. Looking at videos on youtube I would say we were quite relaxed a flowing. It depends on the people too I guess. But I'm a skinny SOB so I don't realy have an option to go rigid.

We were thought all that but we never sparred at class. We did flowing drills and Tai Chi pushhands as my instructor was pretty knowledgable on Tai Chi too.

Yoshiatsu, you seem to want to prepare for the worst. What with your defence against Mace and your recent post on the need for wing chun being tested in the ring etc
Are you a pessimist? You can’t live your life in too much fear. ***** happens. It just does. You can try to prepare for it, but life will just chuck worser stuff at you!

Yp, thats true.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I don't mean to seem negative. I asked questions about things I either think about or have trained in. To see how others respond. I like to hear others imput as well. So I asked question and prying questions to get others to go into detail on their thoughts or opinions on any given subject.

The mace defense was to see if anyone else has every heard of developing tolerance against pepper spray. I guess the answer was no there. As for WC being tested in the ring...I think thats a positive. I know you may disagree. But its a fighting art. In a fight we should be able to adapt to any given situtation. If we can not adapt we should try to practice to learn how to adapt. My main opinion is most WC guys only use one percent of their WC in the ring. Such as chain punch,front kick and maybe a neck grab to take down. But the other techniques like basic pak sau and bong sau and even gan sau are not used. I was woundering why. I think ring figthers have an added advantage. They use their kung fu on regular basis. No my friend I am not living in fear...thanks for your concern though. I am sorry if I come off that way. I just am person who see's WC for combat. An how to apply it in the most advantageou ways is one my principals. I try to find topics that deal with using WC in real fights and try to think of scenario's I have experience or heard about from others.

I hope thats okay with you Kamon?

Kamon Guy:

Sparring Blind folded – nope because this does not simulate any real street event. If you are blinded, you will be feeling pain etc and will react differently
Sparring in a dark room – same reason, but your sensitivity in chi sao will give you better reactions than most
Sparring in a small room like a bathroom – we have many small kwoons where space is a premium. Practising in a small crowded area is better than training one on one in a tiny room
Sparring with one hand (only) – yes. But again, in a real fight, if your hand is broke, chopped off etc, you won’t react the same way
Sparring on the ground (Kneeling or sitting) – yes hence the need for BJJ
Sparring against Multiple opponents – all the time, but you must know your limits. No matter how good you are, numbers always beats skill. Personally I have fought 12 guys in a brawl and come out alive, but most of it was luck
Sparring up against a wall – yes all the time. Kevin Chan is one of the best I’ve seen at dealing with this and usually does demos where he allows one of his instructors to push him into a wall with any force they like in any position they like and he destroys them

Latest Discussions