Kenpo in Michigan??

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nightingale

The only school I know of in Michigan offering Kenpo is Garden City Martial Arts. It is run by Kelly Perkins. She is a former TKD instructor 4th degree Black. In 2001 she recieved her 1st degree in Kenpo from Steve Stewart in London, Ontario Canada. If you are above 1st degree Black you might be better off starting a small group to teach.

If you need any more info you can email at [email protected]

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There may be something in Detroit, but to be honest, Toledo is your best bet. The poster was right about there not being many EPAK schools around. Some in Columbus, but that's obvioulsy too far.
Joe Bennett is the AKKI instructor I train with in Toledo. Good guy, knowlegable. He has a studio he runs from his home, so he could work out a group or private class depending on your sched. Go to the AKKI website, I think there is an e-mail address and a phone number, or let me know if you want to contact him. Good luck.

Brian Jones

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
No one asks where lawyers went to school. As for politics--I think it is a pretty conservative campus, judging from what I've read in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Hey Arni-

Can you PM me that article? it won't let me in without a password.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha ha...Nightengales going to Catholic School! :eek: :rofl:

I've heard O.K. things about Ave Maria. I am thinking of Law school still myself, but I most likely will go to Cooley on the Oakland University Campus out of convienience. I have a career and stuff to manage while I go, so I could never do a full time program at U of M, D-Mercy, or something like these.

PAUL

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nightingale already goes to a catholic school, thanks.

I go to Loyola Marymount right now, and I've never once felt out of place for not being catholic. I feel that the Jesuits founded an excellent group of schools, and I couldn't have asked for a better education. Honestly, I've had some wonderful, academic debates with the Jesuit priests who were my professors. They respected my point of view, and I respected theirs, and we managed to find a lot of common ground.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
Nightingale already goes to a catholic school, thanks.

I go to Loyola Marymount right now, and I've never once felt out of place for not being catholic. I feel that the Jesuits founded an excellent group of schools, and I couldn't have asked for a better education. Honestly, I've had some wonderful, academic debates with the Jesuit priests who were my professors. They respected my point of view, and I respected theirs, and we managed to find a lot of common ground.

Ha ha again...you already go to a Catholic School! :p

I am just messing with you. I agree that the Jesuits have found a good group of schools that any walk or faith could appreciate. I am glad that you found good discussions with some of your Jesuit Professors. I find that many Jesuit Priests, like yourself nightengale, hold strong viewpoints, but are open minded enough to be able to discuss with people who have different opinions.

Many of the Newly ordained are the same way. Every now again you get an old timer though, who even Catholics can't hold a conversation with. Sometimes Monks, because of their very seperated lives, can be difficult too.

Let us know what you tink of the school after you visit!
:asian:

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe...

my two top picks are Loyola Law here in LA, and Ave Maria (cause they offered me $$$$ to go there). Loyola is liberal and Jesuit. Ave Maria is conservative and unaffilliated. I know Loyola will be a much better fit for me, but finance wise, Ave Maria looks DAMN good.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I taught at a Jesuit university. They didn't ask me about my religious beliefs, at the interview or ever. I'd happly work at another.

Latest Discussions