Kenpo Around The World

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
How well has kenpo (whether Tracy's or EPAK) taken on overseas? While I know this martial art has been most recently modified by Americans, it doesn't seem as popular abroad. Could someone tell me about this?

Thanks,
Spartan

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How well has kenpo (whether Tracy's or EPAK) taken on overseas? While I know this martial art has been most recently modified by Americans, it doesn't seem as popular abroad. Could someone tell me about this?

Thanks,
Spartan

There were some fellows from Ireland at the Gathering of Eagles freely teaching the kenpo that they learned from John McSweeney. Great group of guys. They hit hard, and party harder.

I recall Neil Hourston from Scotland coming to the first and second Gathering of Eagles. His kenpo is from the Chow Hoon line, I believe. He seems to have a pretty large group as well.

I think it may be safe to say that kenpo abroad may not be Tracy's or EPAK, but another form of kenpo.

Although I do know of two Tracy's clubs in Africa. One of my students started them.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know there is a solid kenpo following in Spain, Chile, Mexico and Ireland, Australia . Many of the Knepo Seniors conduct seminars overseas. Those countries have done great things with Kenpo.

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for the Kenpo system but---sad to say I have never heard of any Kenpo schools in Taiwan. In fact I can not say as I have ever even met a foreigner here who was a Kenpo person.

You do however have one Jeet Kune Do group here in Taipei. I mention that because like Kenpo, JKD is basically an American creation.

take care,
Brian

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you know how the Asian martial artists feel about Tracy's and EPAK kenpo?

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only part of Asia I can really speak intelligently about is Taiwan, but among the Taiwanese martial arts teachers/practitioners/historians, they would not know anything about either Ed Parker or the Tracy brothers.

I suspect that is a result of two things; those teachers and their arts are basically an American deal and they are kind of an older American deal.If I remember right, at least in California, where I am from, the Tracy Brothers day in the sun in the mid 1970s ? And Ed Parkers peak of fame about that same time? Well if true—that has been twenty years back now.

I mention the age factor because the one American martial arts deal that some Taiwanese martial artists are familiar with is the UFC. But that is quite a bit newer than Mr. Parker/Tracy Brothers.

Take care,
Brian

Latest Discussions