Kempo in San Fran??

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey all...I'm going to be in San Francisco the second week of May and was hoping to get an opportunity to visit dojos in the area, just to expand my horizons a bit...does anyone have any recommendations on any great schools in the area?

Thanks in advance!!
J

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of Kempo, specifically? To my knowledge, there are no Tracy or EPAK schools nearby. John Sepulveda (EPAK) is down the peninsula a ways in Santa Clara, I think, near San Jose. Sepulveda may have a branch school in Pacifica, which is south of San Francisco a short ways.

Navarro's kenpo school is on Mission Street around 30th or so, his lineage traces thru William Chow, but not Ed Parker. I don't really know much about what he does, but I believe he calls it Chinese Kempo.

Ralph Castro's headquarters is just off Hwy 280 in Daly City, just south of SF. A student of his, Rick Alemany, broke away and established his own version, his school is in the Richmond District, out towards the ocean, on about 20th Ave and Irvine, or so.

There might be a couple United Studios of Self Defense around yet, but most of those that I was aware of have closed down. They are from the Fred Villari lineage, I believe. They always struck me as being very Business Oriented and never impressed me with their quality. I think there might be one left on Lombard Street, around Fillmore St.

I can't vouche for the quality of any of these schools, but this is what I know of.

Hope that helps.

OP
J

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Our system traces back thru Chow and has Chinese influences as well, so Navarro's sounds like a good choice outright, but I've had Castro's Shaolin school recommended also!

Thanks for the suggestions!

J

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no worries, have fun!

I will be in Maui that week, spending as much time as possible at a depth of 70 feet beneath the surface of the ocean. Otherwise I'd say look me up.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ralph Castro's in Daly City will be the most interesting, most different, most old-school, most authentic, best Kenpo you are likely to find close to SF.

Latest Discussions