Keith Hackney on the Comeback?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TUF 4 has begun shooting, and no fighters have been confirmed, but MMA Weekly published a list of rumored fighters, some interesting names in the mix:

In the middleweight division, the eight fighters are rumored to be Jorge Rivera, Patrick Cote, Charles McCarthy, Gideon Ray, Mark Weir, Travis Lutter, Edwin Dewees, and 48-year-old UFC 1 veteran Keith Hackney.

In the welterweight division, the eight fighters are rumored to be Matt Serra, Chris Lytle, Shonie Carter, Rich Clementi, Mikey Burnett, Pete Spratt, Nick Diaz, and Din Thomas.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2111&zoneid=13

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Hackney A LOT and he represented Kenpo well. But he's too old to be trying to jump back in there... but I'll be cheering for him anyway. :)

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guess we'll see, George Foreman made a comeback at a age that was "too old"...

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only two Hackney fights I've ever seen was him chopping down Emmanuel Yarborough in UFC 1 and against Jo Son in the same tournament I think. He punched Jo Son in the jewels so hard so many times I felt queasy just watching it. Hackney never struck me as the kind of fighter who'd be comfortable on the ground. We'll see I guess....

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually... He fought Yarbourough in UFC 3, and Joe Son in 4 (then lost to Royce in 4) and then a second loss in Ultimate Ultimate 95 to Marco Ruas.

And that was it, 2-2-0.

The UFC 1 veteran thing is a mistake, he wasn't there.

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
oh ok. my mistake...I have those fights on a UFC greatest hits dvd and I just assumed it was UFC 1 because it looked so old.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your talking 12 years ago when those fights happened. Kieth has been running a MMA school in Roselle, IL. I am sure he has been working the ground game. I know he has a few fighters that enter the "Iron Crowns" out of Indiana (I think).

Joe Son tapped from an "Eagle's Talon" (pincer choke) to the trachea/windpipe not from the repeated bladder/groin shots.

My history comes from the Kenpo school and the head instructor that trained him for those fights. White Tiger Kenpo out of Addison. I own a bar and I remember getting the satalite feeds and broadcasting it on the big screens. That was a great time.

Still train in it :) Although because of those early UFC's I did seek out grappling.

I hope its true. Maybe he is coaching?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, rumor is, according to this, he may be a competitor. But I can't see him coaching, doesn't have the "name" for it now.

I wish him luck, and got a lot of respect for him, but he didn't have a great record then, the game has gotten a lot harder and he's pushing 50. 12 years is plenty of time to learn some new stuff, but I tend to prefer when old fighters stay retired, usually the come back is less then spectacular (Ken, Kimo, Tank, etc.)

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i like Hackney also. he did a good job of striking, even against Gracie. too bad he didnt know any grappling at the time. hopefully he has improved his ground game.

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused here. I recognize some of these names Serra, Diaz, Carter, Spratt, and of course Hackney. I thought the purpose of the show was for fighters who hadn't fought in the Octagon yet. Don't guys like Serra,Diaz,Carter,and Spratt already had UFC contracts.

Latest Discussions