Kbach Khun Boran Khmer..Cambodian Ancient Martial Arts

boroshsonny

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me just say, Khmer cultures has came a long way. Through time and suffering caused by the many years from wars. Yet we stilled rise, slowly to where our country have left off before the genocides from the early 60's and 70's. Asia was once conquered by 2 empires which was the Khmer and China. And way before China/Khmer came to power, rumors of a Bhuddism monk who have made a journey from India to Khmer/China and many other countries to teach the art of fighting. At this time Khmer's have not believe in Bhuddism yet. Most of the Kru (master) worship Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire which their believed was god. If you have ever look at Preash Prum Mok Boun, that's what it represent . (Preash Prum) mad face=fire, smile face=earth, calm face=water, and sad face=wind, I believe. You would only know about this if you have trained in Khmer Martial Arts. For thousands of years Khmer people have also practice Khmer Kung fu and many other form of arts. Theres Kbach Khun Boran(ancient), Kbach Bradal Serey(Muay Thai), Kbach Satt! etc.(Kung Fu), Dao(sword), Dombong Bokatao(Eskrima), Dombong Weng(Long staff, which reaches from tip of your right finger to the tip of your left toe), Sraw Ngay Phane(Tai Chi), Sraw Ngay Phane is at the top of the food chain when you speak of Cambodian Martial Arts. As a matter of fact, rumors of Labokator or Bokatao is being taught, which is to my experienced Bok-a-tao, bok meaning bok and katao is cross fighting sticks. My family came a long way and we dont want any confusion for the younger generation. My grandmom is Kru Khun Dombong Weng, my dad carry on as a master of most Khmer martial arts out there. Granny had told a story about what happen between her and grandpa: One day grandpa ask grandma if he could go cockfighting, he did this so many times and had never win. So grandma said: dont you ever had enough with this rooster gambling of yours. So granma said no more that's it , I'had with you, you're grounded and no more cockfighting from this day period.lolz. So granny left to go to the market, my grandpa was so mad, bursting with pressure, he went and took the most precious souvenirs that our ancestor had passed on from generations to generations. It was treasure case like full of scrolls(ga-phee) about Khmer ancient arts, voo-doo spells(VAY-TA-MON IN sangsagrits), Khun Dombong, there's about 10-15 scroolls in there. These things are so old, it was even written on ink or papers! It was written using jaa. And so granpa burned em all, granny got back home saw the ashes. She knows rite away wut just happened, grab her dombong veng(long staff), beat the shiet outta him. And so she kick my grandpa out for good, never heard from him since. From what my dad knows, granny said she was 13 generation boran, my dad is 14 gen, and we're 15 gen. Sounds like a shallow joke but its not. My whole family , ten kids in all knows how to fight. Words to all, theres so many old khmer guys out there that claim they knows boran, bradal , bogatao , etc., they do it just to get the fame, threaten lil kids or maybe make some extra cash. They dont have pride in themselves, yeah they might a lil or two styles claiming that its boran which is not. I tell you one thing im lucky that my family is a part of this martial arts thing. We are very humble people, if we dont tell you that we trained martial arts, you would never know. These style are very rare, even back in the 50's only two out of ten khmer are trained on it. The rest are bradal serey(kbach samay ,modern kickboixing) thats how it was called which is the same as muay thai, some have trained on other sports such as karate, etc.. Boran is boran, serey is serey period!! Boran , when taught you have to be very flexible, be like water as in Bruce Lee's words! Boran is not an agrresive style when trained, but is very dangerous when counter strike. We are trained: 40% elbows, 40%knees, 5 % punches, 5% kicks, 5% grappling, and the other 5 is on you. The reason this style is so dangerous, first of all it's not a sport, it is used to protect the country. We would be fighting people with spears and swords, etc. My pop told me, Cambodian have always trained hard in martial arts, just like the chinese. Some even trained 15hours a day, 5 hours for farming, 4 for sleeping. That's what my dad did. My dad trained so hard, he eats , sleep, think and **** martial arts. For 40 years my dad did research, upgrade, downgrade and even add some new theory to boran. He had sworn that the new boran that we now learning is even better thatn the ones he master'd taught him. I am currently training my cousing boran so when we fight next year in K1 kickboxing or MMA, people will see somethin new unlike any style out there. Over the past 40 years, my dad have trained thousands of people of all kind, stilled none have really show the courage of bringing this style out. I see students come and go and come and go, but no result of representing this style to the fullest. I've have waited 28 years, with no goal or accomplishment in my mind until now. I wanna do this for my dad and for every single khmer out there. Khmer pride , we'll rise. Thank you for your time reading.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welome ro the forum
2nd will you give us some details about your art
3rd best of luck if you do go into the mma pto ranks

Latest Discussions