Kata's, poomsae's and forms

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread they was talking about if the person making the kata, poomsae and form was alive why would you look at other variation of said technique when you could just ask and get the correct answer. My queastion is more on this line if the originator was alive would they have tought the poomsae,kata and form from different perspective and giv emultiple use of said techiniques? What is everyone take on this.

I believe they had several methods for each tech. that was developed into a poomsae, kata and form.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is the beauty of Martial Arts in my opinion. They can evolve as long as the technique is effective. I am sure if a originator was still around they would simply ask, why did you change the technique? Have you tested it , and does it work ? is it better than the original technique etc..... As long as the person has a open mind and doesn't change the style too much into something else ( unless that is their goal , to create a new style) then I am for it.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of the originators taught the forms differently at different times, so the answer might depend on when you asked, chances are they would now be teaching them different then they where teaching them back when your branch inferited them anyways.

Now to make matters worse, it seems some of the old teachers taught different things to different people. Adapting things to suit there existing style, body type, or maybe even just experimenting with different things.

Karate / Kung Fu / TKD have likely changed a lot in the past 50 years. Much before that and things like video records and for the most part even written history when it came to martial arts didn't exist. Preventing evolution would have been impossible. I mean look at the differences in some of the forms, especially the older ones. No one tried to preserve them exactly, or if they did they did a really bad job of it.