Karate GI and BJJ GI materials

C

Cobra

Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and and karate-like arts seems to use a more loose but weaker gi that seems to break easier. My tae kwon do gi is made out 55% cotton and 45% polyester.

I did BJJ for a little while, but never baught the gi. I heard that BJJ gis are stronger because they are made from 100% cotton. Is that true? Are BJJ gis made of 100% cotton and is that what makes it stronger? Wonder why then they don't make karate gis out of 100% cotton.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Tokaido gi is 100% cotton, so was my old Pro Force Ultra, there are plenty of karate gis that are 100% cotton. The strenght comes from the thickness of the material for the most part. Don't know about BJJ gis, but since they grab them a lot I would think they are made of heavyweight cotton mostly.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It isn't the material, it is the method of construction. Judo/jujutsu gis have a crosshatch of large bundles of thread so they are structurally stronger, this also gives them their thickness.

Lamont

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
there are certin uniforms you where for siminars and demonstations, and all others for training hardcore....So kind of like in the military. you have your BDUs and you have your Blues. So you don't have to worry about getting your uniform damaged during regular training.

Latest Discussions