Justice is eroding away: Abusive Parents get NO jail time.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw the headline http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/159441/ and was totally appalled. Bought the paper read it and was just plain disgusted.
The couple adopted three children (from Russia) and abused them to the point that they were arrested and then tried. But the judge's final sentencing makes me wonder why did they bother at all?

What is the message that this is sending out? Does it mean that people can do whatever they want with children and have a good chance of "getting away" with it? Oh sure they have to do some probation and pay over $17K in a trust fund of sorts but hey c'mon your Honor!
It's been said before that the justice system is becoming more and more eroded and now it appears that the basic liberties of living without fear as a child (in this country) may well be just tossed right on out.

Maybe this is just one case, maybe this is a fluke in judicial matters... maybe it's a doorway for more lenient sentencing on crimes like these? A trickle eventually becomes a flood if it's not plugged up quick.

The mother of two of the children says that she will leave it in God's hands. On one hand I'll agree that there will be no better justice/judgement... but on the other hand how many more of this type of sentencing will happen in the future?

Opinions, thoughts, similar outrages?

:asian:

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is more than a bit disgusting, scary part is the prosecutor thinks he did good.....I think having those people in jail for 10 years is more important than getting 17k back

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A man was convicted recently (and confessed) to molesting a girl for four years. She was 6-10 years old at the time. The judge, because he did not like the way the justice system worked, and felt that sex offenders needed treatment, not jail time, sentenced the man to 60 DAYS! Even though this sentence is within the sentencing guidelines, this decision is criminal.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This surprises anyone? We don't have a 'justice system', folks, that's a common misconception. We have a 'legal system'. Get used to it, because it's not likely to change (or at least that's what I keep having to tell myself).

Latest Discussions