Supreme Court nominees

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had the hearings on while I've been puttering around. What strikes me, and has in the past, is that whether or not you like the individual nominee, they are an impressively intelligent group of people.

I could only wish the propeller on my beanie could spin that fast.

OP
jdinca

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, there's always the occasional dog but for the most part, they sport turbo props on their beanies. I even feel that way about Ginsberg and Souter. :D

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Clarence Thomas? Pubic hair man? A real classy guy.

Well, he did say smart, not classy. Who with class wears a propellor beanie?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
What strikes me, and has in the past, is that whether or not you like the individual nominee, they are an impressively intelligent group of people.

Yes, they sounds like academics when they answer! They certainly seem to be people who love the law.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The hearings have become more of a platform for cooky democrats to air their frustrations. To have Ted Kennedy sit and grill someone concerning their morals and history.....is laughable. Sit back and have another drink Ted.

I just hope the Dem's keep up. They look more insane everytime their mouth opens.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
The hearings have become more of a platform for cooky democrats to air their frustrations. To have Ted Kennedy sit and grill someone concerning their morals and history.....is laughable. Sit back and have another drink Ted.
:rofl:
Good ol' self-righteous, rarely sober Teddy. god, it must be nice to be a Kennedy.
There are embarrassing members on both sides of the aisle, but I think Ted really needs to take a seat on this one.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Listening to Nominee Alito try and explain away the absence of his financial holdings from his recusal list this morning, made the nominee look foolish, not the senior senator from the Bay State.

Although, I think Biden has it correct. The hearings have become useless wastes of time, where the nominee commits only to not discussing anything relevant concerning the law.

Apparently, prior to 1925, the Senate performed its 'advice and consent' roll without the nominee appearing before the Judiciary Committee. The nominee's statements and writings were reviewed and debated by the Senate preceeding a vote.

Sounds good to me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Attachments

• $speaking.jpg
    $speaking.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 99

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been of the opinion that the nominee will be appointed with only a bit of hand-wringing from the democrats and liberals out and about. Of course, I was more than willing to accept Harriett Miers to the Supreme Court, feeling she can be no more incompetent than the President.

The New York Times published a scathing editorial today, which may have changed my mind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/opinion/12thur1.html?ex=1294722000&en=328b3f0d0fb2364f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

The debate over Judge Alito is generally presented as one between Republicans and Democrats. But his testimony should trouble moderate Republicans, especially those who favor abortion rights or are concerned about presidential excesses. The hearings may be short on fireworks, but they have produced, through Judge Alito's words, an array of reasons to be concerned about this nomination.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting link. I too have been assuming he'll be confirmed...it'll be interesting to see how things unfold.

OP
jdinca

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, these hearings have turned into platforms for the various senators personal and party agendas. For the most part, the nominees usually show that they are much more intelligent than the panel questioning them.

On abortion, I find it ironic that Durbin has been pounding him on the right to choose, even though Durbin himself was a right to lifer until '99. For him to make a definitive statement on this issue when there are abortion cases in the system that will most likely end up at the Supreme Court would show obvious bias. I think he answered the question the way a good jurist should, precedent is vitally important but if we relied solely on that, we would still have cases like Plessy guiding the courts. Everything is should be up for review as warranted. That doesn't mean that it's going to be overturned.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060112/ap_on_go_su_co/alito

Samuel Alito coasted toward probable confirmation as the 110th Supreme Court justice Thursday, with the only question after 18 hours of grueling Senate interrogation being how many Democrats would support him.

Alito said nothing to undermine his solid support by the Senate's majority Republicans during three days of aggressive questioning by Democrats

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's amazing how ineffective the Democrats have become when it comes to pushing their agenda. Yeah, they can get their friends in the media to push some apparently damaging stories against the Republicans, but when it comes to actually driving an agenda, they've fallen flat. Interesting.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be honest with ya, I don't care that much about abortion in comparison to other issues, but what does worry me is that I hear he'll be the fifth Catholic on the bench (nothing against Catholicism in particular) and that he seems to be awfully in favor of granting the President more power. I like three separate branches, but latley it seems that there has been a lot of overflow with the bench making legislative decisions and now the Court possibly empowering the exec branch more. I'm not terrified, but since I am probably considered a moderate Republican since I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others, I am a little worried.

By the way, is that true about the 5 Catholics? I heard it on the radio, but haven't verified it because I can't find a link anywhere.

Latest Discussions