just introducing myself

S

sifufrank

hello people,

i am sifu frank mccarthy of the Hung Sing Kwoon in san francisco under ggm dino salvatera and of the fut san Hung Sing under master Lok Gee Hung.

our website is hungsing.com, and the fut san hsk is hongshengguan.com.

is there any choy lee fut people out there and what branch are you from?

sifufrank

OP
S

sifufrank

hey thanks for your interest in the short sticks. the seminar i am holding is similar to escrima, with strong choy lee fut influence, with the emphasis on the techniques of the butterfly knives.

it focuses on the power of latosa escrma,the footwork and hands of choy lee fut and the slicing of the butterfly knives.

i am also working on opening a hung sing branch in kansas.

what are you up to

frank

OP
S

sifufrank

so have you ever heard of latosa escrima?
for myself, i have beeen practicing choy lee fut for more than 20 years now, and after learning escrima it gave me new insight into the usage of other weapons in my system.

have you studied any other styles?

personally i call what i teach in the short sticks is "tien loong bai mei" which means heavenly dragon slashes its tail. which indicates the power yet pricision of the blades with choy lee fut principles.

frank

OP
G

gravity

Hi,

I use to practice Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut a few years ago. At the moment I'm training in Kenpo .

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
What part of kansas if I may ask? I am not familiar with the arts you mentioned but I know my aunt takes Wing Chun. I believe they do work with the butterfly knives.

Salute,

JD

OP
S

sifufrank

i have started a new branch in overland park. my branch is called hung sing kwoon and it teaches choy lee fut and a new refined system i am calling tien loong bai mei (heavenly dragon slashes its tail) which represents the power of the dragon mixed with choy lee fut concepts.

if you are interested in either clf or the learning the combat stick fighting, you can email me at [email protected] i would be happy to give an introduction to this system with you, i will be here until april 6,2003

thanks
frank

OP
S

sifufrank

who was your buk sing teacher?

i know both vince and dave lacey personally.

i actually have lunch with dave lacey almost every weekend.

our website is hungsing.com

lotsa info and pictures

frank

OP
G

gravity

HI Sifu Frank,

I only trained at the Buk Sing school briefly (1 year), had to stop due to health reasons. At the time Sifu Jason Lacey was teaching, later on Sifu Dominic P. began to teach.

have a good one

OP
S

sifufrank

so what did you think of buk sing choy lee fut? would you continue training in it? what didn't you like about it?

OP
G

gravity

Originally posted by sifufrank
so what did you think of buk sing choy lee fut? would you continue training in it? what didn't you like about it?

Hi Sifu Frank,

I think Buk Sing has a lot to offer. It looks great (artistic) and seems like one of the more difficult arts to deal with. I had to stop because the art was too hard on me (not technically - rather physically, hard/ soft). I was getting some pretty bad back aches which lead to frequent headaches. I realised I needed to be softer in my martial arts approach.

Presently I train in kenpo, kinda similar to CLF in the sense of circular strikes, granted the footwork and range of weapons is a little different (CLF distance is longer & Kenpo is shorter). Buk Sing provided me with a good understanding of basics (various stances - transitional stances, using the hips to generate power, formation of weapons, economy of motion type combos - charp choi (spelt correctly?) then bend arm for elbow strike and backfist. It also taught me punches like hooks, jabs, crosses and uppercuts can be used either short range or long range, depending on how the arm/ wrist is formed.

While I think highly of CLF, at present I have no intention to train in it again, Kenpo has proved very interesting especially its emphasis on Self Defense techniques. Although I wish at times it had the conditioning and internal aspects of CLF.

Incidentially I frequently visit Sigung Vince Lacey's website to keep up with the art.

OP
S

sifufrank

yeah clf can be hard on ones body. actually my sigung has totally retired from teaching clf and i asked him if he still practices even slowly, he said no it still too stressful on his body.

if i may ask, is the kenpo you do from ed parkers lineage? if so then you were actually learning a little of Professor lau buns choy lee fut from the hung sing branch because ed parker had a close relationship with professor lau bun.

i love choy lee fut tho. it has brought me back from being paralyzed from the waist down from a 50 foot fall when i was younger. choy lee fut is great. i can't see myself doing anything else. it brought my legs back.

here from you soon
frank

OP
G

gravity

Originally posted by sifufrank
yeah clf can be hard on ones body. actually my sigung has totally retired from teaching clf and i asked him if he still practices even slowly, he said no it still too stressful on his body.

if i may ask, is the kenpo you do from ed parkers lineage? if so then you were actually learning a little of Professor lau buns choy lee fut from the hung sing branch because ed parker had a close relationship with professor lau bun.

i love choy lee fut tho. it has brought me back from being paralyzed from the waist down from a 50 foot fall when i was younger. choy lee fut is great. i can't see myself doing anything else. it brought my legs back.

here from you soon
frank

Hahaha, my legs use to practically drop dead after CLF training.....killer horse stance :samurai:

Yes the Kenpo I train in is Ed Parker's Kenpo. Thats interesting to hear the CLF connection to Kenpo, perhaps thats why I found them a little similar. CLF made my understanding of Kenpo a little easier. Incidentally Mr Parker also had ties with James Wing Woo (a white crane stylist) and James Lee (Northern Shaolin) as well as a few other chinese martial artists. A chinese martial arts writer wrote an article in BB commenting how some of the Kenpo forms he saw had similarities with Hung Gar forms.

-LATER- J.

OP
S

sifufrank

yeah my sifu has no mercy, and he would train us until he felt it was time to stop.

and yeah, if you think you recognize clf in ed parkers karate, then that would be from lau bun. yesterday i showed a student what i meant when we looked at secrets of kenpo karate. and they notice clf in it.

so wow, i will be leaving kansas next sunday, and heading back to san francisco. i am so excited because i just truly inspired a child with autism to learn my stick fighting, and his mother says he woke up and automatically began playing with the sticks again. she is hyped about this and so am i. she assured me that his remembering what i told him was such a good thing. so now i have another new student to work with. cool!

frank

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Welcome sifu frank mccarthy................

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

Latest Discussions