Just Curious to your thoughts

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While "Street Fighting" is looked down usually in every system you look at, do you think that a system could be utilized to make it more respectable. Or in today's world is Krav Maga about as close as we'll ever get?

Just curious as to hear what you think.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
A system will not be what makes it more respectable. And I don't see how Krav Maga is as close as we get. There are a great many RBSD styles out there and I don't see one as more repsectable than the other. I think it comes down to the individual and how they react on the street. Survivng a street fight will never be something to brag about, it is just something to learn from and hope to avoid in teh future.

And if there were ever a style that made street fighting respectale, IMO it would be Kajukenbo.

OP
TheArtofDave

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree, and in no way am I saying that being in a street fight is something one would brag about. I'm very humble, as a student of the martial arts. I'm always learning being more of a traditionalist over ecletic training. Though I wouldn't rule it out all together.

I guess a better question would be since there are a lot of eclectic styles out there would the general perception of anything goes stand over say traditional training? I'm sure it would. As no form of training can be looked down upon as long as the fundamentals of respect for your training, yourself, & others is there.

Never to use your training unless in extreme emergencies and only to get out of the fight. Defense instead of looking for trouble which is usually the general description of "street fighting" or just fighting in general.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The question is, why would a person want to look at brawling in the streets as a respectable pastime? At best it's a last resort when faced with an attack, and at worse you'll get arrested for beating the pulp out of someone in plain view of the whole world.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Street fighting is the reason why we have the UFC and MMA. It is the only respectable form of "street fighting."

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No system ever in my book will archieve as close as we can get. Too many variables play along in a streetfight.

Just my view on it.
And looking for fights is not respectable, avoinding them the more.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the socalled streetfight or streetfighting style, whatever that is, is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fighting and combat.
But i do think that one could and should definately learn from everything that works, keeping in mind that that which works is the true. Some ways are not elegant, cheap or sneaky-even detrimental to the own body, but they may work and should therefore be studied ad nauseum. I see this as observing people to see their strengths and weaknesses because that is the foundation for strategy.
Observing people one can notice that fighting and combat techniques that the individual posesses, everyone will have a piece of the puzzle and some may have more pieces of the puzzle, but technically, only one good piece may be needed for combat.
I think it would be difficult to organize streetfighting as we would first have to set clear definitions, but even if, what would make that streetfighting different from kravmaga or any other style?.
Most people known as streetfighters, men and women alike, have lots of experience and or training from others-calling it streetfighting is a bit vague but may a legit term.

Because for people to say streetfighting it's ok, but on MT, i figure we can be more precise and say a boxers jab or a karate block or a taekwondo or kickboxers lowkick or elbow like in breaking moves. Pushing someone is pushing someone-thowing is done like a trip or like a certain judo throw or wrestling style takedown or driving mma takedown. For all the different names of the moves of submissions101 or eddiebravo on youtube, one could come up with names endlessly. It is like a language created for understanding and communicating certain moves, either rather general or quite exact. That is why i think that streetfighting is too vague of a term for martial artists but nevertheless i definitly am able to catch the drift.

j

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While "Street Fighting" is looked down usually in every system you look at, do you think that a system could be utilized to make it more respectable?

Any system. Train to the point that you are a fighting machine and when you use those skills to fight a mugger in the street when he tries to mug you while you are in a respectable part of town at a respectable hour, then what you have done is respectable.

If you are hitting the bars and getting into fights, even if you don't start them, your still just fighting with drunks in a bar. Nothing respectable there.

It is not the system, or lack of it, that makes street-fighting lack respect. It is the fact that it is, legitimate self defense aside, kind of pointless.

Daniel

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, the term 'street fighting' does not refer to legitimate self-defense, but in choosing to engage in mutual combat in a public area outside of any formal rules and outside the purview of any sanctioned body or commission.

In other words, to me, a street fighter is one who willingly goes out looking for unarmed combat with others in bars, clubs, urban settings, and generally out in public.

Now, historically, martial arts were often distilled and codified from 'what worked' on the street, and many martial arts legends in Okinawa (and other places, I'm sure) went out and practiced their theories on people they came across, trying out new ideas and concepts in a practical way, by busting heads. If such behavior was acceptable in that time and place, I can't really stand in judgment of it; it may have contributed to our art's evolution as well. I'm glad it's not the case today.

Personally, I'm not interested in street fighting. I'll defend myself; that's the extent of my desire to 'try out' anything I think I know about martial arts. I hope I never have to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess a better question would be since there are a lot of eclectic styles out there would the general perception of anything goes stand over say traditional training? I'm sure it would.

you might be surprised at how much "anything goes" is found in traditional systems. "Anything goes" is not a new concept.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
While "Street Fighting" is looked down usually in every system you look at, do you think that a system could be utilized to make it more respectable. Or in today's world is Krav Maga about as close as we'll ever get?

What do you mean by "that a system could be utilized to make it more respectable." As in just having "streetfighting tournaments"/underground fight clubs or just people looking for a fight..?

As for Krav Maga its not exactly knew in concept, there are allot of combat focused combined systems, systems in the world. I tell you what I tell my student s there is 3 forms of combat/fighting...
1) A fight: Tow or more people trying to gain dominance via violence or threat of violence this can range from competition to Yankies versus Red Sox bar brawl...
2) A self-defense situation: Being on the recieving end of a criminal assault; such as muggings, car jackings etc.
3) A street-fight: basicly two people entered into combat with the intent to kill, cripple or maim someone the other. Usually this involves the use of weapons; ranging from assault rifles & pipe bombs to knives & unarmed combat.

I don't think their is a way to make "street-fighting" respectable since its basicly warfare carried out by civillian (usually the criminally minded). As far as Street-Fighting MA systems; there are certain prison based fighting styles used by gangs.

Latest Discussions