Just a couple of questions :)

trent1988

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls.

I've never done Muay Thai, nor any other martial art before, but i'm really keen in getting into Muay Thai. I understand it's a rather brutal sport and requires a lot of fitness as well as technique, etc etc.

If anyones got the time to just help me along maybe, it would be much appreciated :) ?

1. I know that if i take it slow even just beginning Muay Thai nothing should happen, but i understand theres a "higher" chance of death in this form of fighting? Should this be a deterent for me wanting to participate?

2. I've been playing soccer for 10 years and athletics for 3, so yes i do have some power in my legs as well as a LOT of speed in regards to running - though how long would it take to gain the fitness levels to participate in the ring in just a spar/fight?

3. If I am going to do this art, i'm going to need a LOT more flexibility - mines shocking :p - Can anybody recommend some stretches of movements that are going to give me some long-term flexibility gains as well as help with kicks, both high and low.

And last but not least,

4. Anybody know any Muay Thai gyms or places that they do this art on the GOLD COAST in AUSTRALIA?

Thanks for your help already :)

Regards,
trent

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls.

I've never done Muay Thai, nor any other martial art before, but i'm really keen in getting into Muay Thai. I understand it's a rather brutal sport and requires a lot of fitness as well as technique, etc etc.

Taking any sport to a high level requires a lof ot fitness and technique, Muay Thai is no different.

1. I know that if i take it slow even just beginning Muay Thai nothing should happen, but i understand theres a "higher" chance of death in this form of fighting? Should this be a deterent for me wanting to participate?

No, any chance of death is extremely minimal and pretty much non-existant unless you have some sort of preexisting condition. It will hurt if you decide to fight, but you will not die. If it was that dangerous it would be banned.

2. I've been playing soccer for 10 years and athletics for 3, so yes i do have some power in my legs as well as a LOT of speed in regards to running - though how long would it take to gain the fitness levels to participate in the ring in just a spar/fight?

Depends on you and your coach. You start off fighting against other people at your level, so after a year or so its concievable you could have some amateur fights.

3. If I am going to do this art, i'm going to need a LOT more flexibility - mines shocking :p - Can anybody recommend some stretches of movements that are going to give me some long-term flexibility gains as well as help with kicks, both high and low.

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

But in the end it is also a lot of practice. Being able to do the splits doesn't always mean you have the ability to throw high kicks, you still need to work those.

4. Anybody know any Muay Thai gyms or places that they do this art on the GOLD COAST in AUSTRALIA?

Not a clue :)

OP
T

trent1988

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks already Andrew. Helps a lot :)

Anybody else want to share their ideas? Feel free, everything counts for a new one like me. lol.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Trent. Not a Muay Thai person, but I just wanted to welcome you to MartialTalk. :)

Feel free to post an intro in the Meet & Greet forum - post you're interested in Muay Thai and you might get some other folks in that art to reply.

Happy posting!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread moved to Muay Thai section where its best suited for these types of questions.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Muay thai is physical. It is considered an external style of martial arts. Any martial arts training is going to require a certain degree of fitness and your years of soccer with all the running should help with conditioning. As for the chance of death, very minimal in today's age but in the early 1900's until around 1920 when there were no gloves, the death rate would have been much higher. There is always a risk in any sort of martial art or other sports for that matter. Take your training at your own pace, find a good, qualified instructor and you should be fine. Hope this helps.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that would be as much due to lack of gloves as it would lack of medical screening, poor match ups, and a different idea of what the referee does. Gloves let you hit harder, not so much protect you, although you get less visible damage.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Thaistyle. If you are truly interested, maybe you should try purchasing a book, or check a few videos on youtube. This way, you can gain some insight in MT, and find out if iyou believe its for you. then of course, it never hurts to test out a class in your area. Here are some quick links I was able to locate. Check them out for yourself and see if any are near you.

www.oceaniamuaythai.com/
http://www.zendokai.com.au/countries2/Australia/index.htm

Hope that helps some. :asian:

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls.

If anyones got the time to just help me along maybe, it would be much appreciated :) ?

1. I know that if i take it slow even just beginning Muay Thai nothing should happen, but i understand theres a "higher" chance of death in this form of fighting? Should this be a deterent for me wanting to participate? High form of death?Perhaps in Thailand ,but not so much in the states are Europe,no matter what form of sports you do,there is a chance a great risk or death,but to tell you the truth ,I cant think of any Muay Thai fight in the states or Europe where someone has died.Im not saying that it has never happend or never does but since it is never heard about it must be exceptionally rare.

2. I've been playing soccer for 10 years and athletics for 3, so yes i do have some power in my legs as well as a LOT of speed in regards to running - though how long would it take to gain the fitness levels to participate in the ring in just a spar/fight? Brute strength and "speed"(there are diffent types of "speeds") are important but do not always nessacrily result in powerful techniques.Dont get me wrong,the more weight and strength you have the more potentional have for throwing powerful strikes but technique is so much more important!

As far as the lenght of time it aill take you to gain fitness depends on how much you train.If you only train twice a week,it will take a considerably long about of time to condition your self.It is best to train at least four times a week.

Actually that is a misconception(about the flexibility) that many people share before training in Muay Thai.It only requires the flexibility of an average person(if that).You dont have to be able to do some sort of fancy splits to be able to throw powerful kicks.Most Muay Thai schools dont spend as much time doing static stretching as many other percussion fighting arts because a great deal of flexibility can be obtain through regulary( 4 days are more a week) practice and shadowboxing.Training regualry will help all aspects of your physical prowess.

And last but not least,

..sorry no info

Thanks for your help already :)

Regards,
trent

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Give us some info on where you live and I'll see if I can help you find some quality muay thai in you area. Maybe myself or someone else can help.

Toby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey there Trent.

I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I live in remote South Australia so it's impossible to find or even get to Muay Thai gym or school.

But I have found an e-book about Muay Thai here (torrent): http://www.btmon.com/Other/Unsorted/Muay_Thai_-_The_Art_of_Fighting_ebook.torrent.html

Probably the most info I've ever found on Muay Thai without actually being able to attend a class. I could be wrong though as I'm only starting out as well. If the information is wrong or whatever anyone with more experience feel free to correct me.

This is what I do for conditioning and training (daily):
Stretch.
Run for about 3-4ks.
Home gym (weighted rows, pull downs, leg curls, etc).
Variations of Push ups, Sit ups, Chin ups.
Skip or Exercise Bike.
Free Weights Light - Medium - Max - Max - Medium - Light - Barbell Squats, Bench Press, Dead Lifts, Rows, etc.
Heavy Bag - Punches and Kicks.
One more run before bed.
Stretch.

And this is my diet.

Breakfast:
Bowl of milk and Nutrigrain.

Lunch:
Salad (sliced tomato and lettuce) Sandwich with Fritz.

Tea (varies):
Fish with chips and salad, sausages and potatoes with salad, stir-fry, roast lamb or chicken with veggies, salad, and potatoes. On a slack night it'd be take away Chinese, Pizza or home-made Toasted sandwiches. Think that basically covers it.

Snacks:
Nutrigran bar.
Banana
Fruche yoghurt
Crumpets with peanut butter or vegemite.
Toast same as crumpets
Fried Fritz and Eggs sometimes with Tomatoes.
Sometimes I'll have some cake and/or nuggets - cutting down on that though.

All I drink during the day is water, an OJ, and a glass of milk before bed.

Anyway, I hope this information has been somewhat helpful to you.

Latest Discussions