Baukaw in MMA?

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I have always wondered how would Baukaw do if he trained Jiu-jitsu and decieded to go MMA.Every Muay Thai fighter knows that Baukaw strikes are phenomenal but how would be fair against MMA fighters(if he trained in grappling as well)?I have always wondered this,you thoughs?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I have always wondered how would Baukaw do if he trained Jiu-jitsu and decieded to go MMA.Every Muay Thai fighter knows that Baukaw strikes are phenomenal but how would be fair against MMA fighters(if he trained in grappling as well)?I have always wondered this,you thoughs?

I suppose he could do very well or very poorly depending on how much he is willing to change his strategy and how good he would be at grappling. His midkicks will have to be substantially cut down in number to the point that they are rare, his headkicks will need to become less used, his leg kicks will need to be used with more discretion, he would need to watch out for the shoot, which would require him to shift to a lower stance, which might be a problem for a fighter as mobile as he likes to be.

Also, I have no idea how good he would be as a grappler, having never seen him do any real grappling... and you can't tell how a striker could do as a grappler without training him in grappling and seeing how he does. Perhaps he would be so good that would become his primary strategy (like the Nogueira brothers, who were offered places on Brazil's Olympic boxing team before they switched to MMA and became primarily submissions fighers). Perhaps he wouldn't ever get the hang of it. There is just no way to tell.

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah its really hard to guage on how he would do.. I personally think he wouldnt do too well just because he is used to keeping people at a distance with his kicks

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yeah its really hard to guage on how he would do.. I personally think he wouldnt do too well just because he is used to keeping people at a distance with his kicks

I atucally think that he wouldnt do well either.For some reason I just dont see him obtaining grappling skills.Kinda like vise versa from Royce Gracie,he (Royce) trains alot of striking now,but he just doesnt excel at it.I think it is because he is naturally a grappler;just like Baukaw is naturally a striker.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess he would have as good a chance as any other fighter. Although he might have an advantage in the clinch or in stand-up kinda like Anderson Silva. He would definitely have to change his entire game plan. His speed and power would be to his advantage though.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

As much as i hate to say it but remember when Ramon Dekkers tried to do MMA.....heel hook round one. and dekkers was a an incrediable striker.

Baukaw im afraid would go the same way.

funny enough though Rob kaman is a muay thai trainer for some of mma's top boys.

Latest Discussions