Jun Fan Gung-Fu (techniques and drills)

SuperSaiyanJKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have a good example of a basic Jun Fan Gung Fu curriculum? (Please be specific) My Jun Fan is a little rusty, and I am trying to get my technique back. I know the basic progression, but I am looking for a more specific curriculum to supplement my personal training. Thanks in advance.
Seeker of Truth
Hey, Could you post the basic progression please?

martialwaywarrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have a good example of a basic Jun Fan Gung Fu curriculum? (Please be specific) My Jun Fan is a little rusty, and I am trying to get my technique back. I know the basic progression, but I am looking for a more specific curriculum to supplement my personal training. Thanks in advance.
Seeker of Truth
Book: Bruce Lee's Fighting Method, The Complete Edition.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes Sir. You are right. I did not mean to imply that such claim of exclusiness was made . :asian:

While I am showing off my knowledge in Cantonese, :cuss: :D "Jun Fan Gung Fu" means Chinese American Martial Art. "Jun" refers to China. The Chinese used to think they were the center of the world (which they were at one point, since every empire has its days.) , hence they referred to China as the Middle Kingdom, which the word "JUN" means Middle. "FAN" refers to all the non-Chinese barbarians outside the Middle Kingdom. lol . "Jun Fan Gung Fu" is not traditional Chinese martial art.
Thank you for that info.
Translations are hard to come by sometimes.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee wrote several books. The first one I bought was about 30 years ago. Chinese Gong Fu, the art and philosophy of self defense.

Sifu Mike

White Belt
Reaction score
one question I have, I have heard alot of people refer to jun fan gung fu as bruce lee's style of fighting from a certain period of time, and others refer to it as a set of techniques for JFJKD (in other words it doesn't realy matter when they are from, they are the physical extrapolation of JFJKD).

within the JFJKD community how is the term used?
Lee Jun Fan means Bruce Lee. It was his eclectic art in Seattle and in San Francisco it began to evolve and finally in Los Angeles it stopped evolving under Bruce's tutelage. At the Filipino Martial Arts academy, where I was in first class taught exclusive by Dan Inosanto, Guru/Sifu Dan added Phillipino Arts (Kali/Escrima/etc), later Muay Thai, and then Bukatri Negari Silat.
JKD Tao and his art is to continue to grow as new styles are found and meldend with the mother art, if it fits to the individual, of JKD.
Sifu Mike

Sifu Mike

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Seeker of Truth
Study Wing Chun and add higher kicks and boxing moves. Sigung didn't use the modified stance nor JKD moves until after San Francisco.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
The truth is. If you want good JKD footwork, you have to study Muhammad Ali and other boxers in the late 60s. JKD was mostly moving towards western Boxing and Grappling.

Sifu Mike

White Belt
Reaction score
The truth is. If you want good JKD footwork, you have to study Muhammad Ali and other boxers in the late 60s. JKD was mostly moving towards western Boxing and Grappling.
So very true - don't forget wing CHUN though as it is the nucleus of JKD! Also low line kicks were heavily emphasized- although higher kicks were done to a lesser degree.
PS this is a response to angelariz's comment.