Jump spin crescent kick help.

T

TKD USA

I really need help, a long time ago I perfected my jump spin crescent kick but now its like 2 months later and I can't do it. It's like my brain remembers how to do it and my body just doesnt. Any ideas, i'm just looking for tips on how to do it.

OP
S

SenseiGR

Here's some good advice: Don't waste your time. Learn a technique that might actually STOP a large opponent.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, join the club. I lay that one down for little while and it's hard to regain the timing etc. But I have been doing it practically every day for two+ years now.

The target is at 90° to you and you are facing right, two feet spaced shoulder length apart-feet pointed the way you are facing is helpful-little quicker. I jump up twist to the right, simultaneously reaching back with my right leg just like a jump back kick but toward an imaginary board to the left of the board (hitting target). Its better to bend over at the waist a little and keep facing away from the target for the most part. Just reach back to the imaginary target then hook fast hitting with the heel going across the board horizontally-not downward. Its better to keep relaxed, loose, then tense up just at the hook. Flexibility aids in this. Jumping higher gives you more time. Any questions about that? TW

OP
T

TKD USA

I thought for a Jump spin crescent kick you hit with the outside of your foot not your heel.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD USA said:
I thought for a Jump spin crescent kick you hit with the outside of your foot not your heel.

Oh, you are right. I misread that as a jump spin heel. That's easier, you just turn more to the front and hit with the side of your foot like TKD USA said. So sorry. Guess I have it on my brain.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
What might help is if you break it down into stages. Start of slowly with a basic crescent kick, then a spinning crescent and keep practicing that. Practice the jump as a completely separate thing. Jump up and practice pulling your legs and knees in and spin all the way round and each time try getting more height.

OP
T

TKD USA

Thanks I got the spin crescent kick down and I could do the Jump spin crescent with my left leg, I just can't do it with my right.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the direction I showed you was for the right leg. (but jump spin HEEL result-sorry) When you finish the kick you are facing the board 3/4 circle around if you start at 90° from the board at the start. Bring your leg up close to your body then out and then snap going across. Practice it on the ground first then add the jump. You really have to get your body turned around. Usually you are better on one side but we have to practice both sides. Never know when you need it later... TW

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TKD USA:

I'm just a tad confused. What I am hearing you say is that you CAN do the technique with one leg and little if at all with the other, yes? Barring an injury the issue is one of timing and is just a matter practicing. However I am also confused as to which kick you are doing. If your jump/spinning Crescent Kick is an "inside" (using the inside arch of the foot) I am a strong advocate of the "invisible box" technique to get the timing down. If your kick is an "outside" (using the outer edge or maybe even the instep a'la "slap kick") then the technique is wholly ballistic and depends on a lead with the shoulders, hard push-off with the non kicking leg and unfolding of the kicking leg after the fashion of "drawing a sword from its scabbard".

BTW: Word to the wise: At age 53 I have been pushing the edge of the envelope training at a jump spinning heel kick in satisfaction of aspects of two hyung that we have in Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido. Some two monthes ago I was executing some of the best attempts at this technique that I had done all along---- and promptly tore my hamstring probably the worst that I have done in my MA career. Lesson? Slow is good. Full warm-up and slow is even better. The idea of these acrobatic techniques is not so much for any probable combat apprication as much as to have a challenge for honing your timing, focus and spacial relationships. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dear Bruce,

Yes, at our age, we do definitely have to warm up. Or so I keep telling my instructor when he wants me to "just to do it" when all we had been doing was low kicks. I warm up hamstrings by doing low kicks slow repetitiously, or running. Then I do static stretches slow and easy-- hold for few seconds, about three times each leg before class. Then, I go into dynamic stretch kicks to the front and side. Then hooks. Then spin heels. Then jump spin heel. That's my progression. And stretch out after class. High energy needed for this. Crescent is easier, energy wise, I think.

PS.I have hamstring problems all the time. too much repetition on other kicks then they tighten to much for this little maneuver. and I'm REAL flexible. :uhyeah:

OP
T

TKD USA

I pretty young so I don't get injured that much with these kicks and the jump spin heel kick is really easy for me infact that's what I learned before I learned the Jump spin Crescent kick

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Have you checked calf strength of each leg? A quick check of the calf can be performed by doing single leg calf raise. If you can do 20 with each leg your probably OK, anything less try strength exercises first.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear TW:

".....Yes, at our age, we do definitely have to warm up. Or so I keep telling my instructor when he wants me to "just to do it" when all we had been doing was low kicks. ...."

One of the requirements for passing a students' very first test with me is to demonstrate that they appreciate appropriate warm-up and can lead a class through both good warm-up AND good range-of-motion or stretching. I have been to seminars where leader (invariably juniors) lead an all-too-brief warm-up not realizing that they can get away with briefer preparation as their younger bodies are more forgiving.

BTW: I also liked soneones' comment on calf-strength. I think we sometimes forget the simple but intense demands that some of our techniques put on the body. Always nice to make sure our body can cash the checks our brains are writing, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,
I think my big problem right now is that hamstring strength isn't as strong as my quads. I read on the net that martial artists have to have anywhere between 80-90% hamstring ratio to quad strength especially for fast movement or snaps. Most athletes have about 60% from what I've read. All of a sudden I'm really have a problem between the back of the knee string to the top on both legs. It keeps alternating, mends then changes. I've been practicing jumpback/jump spin heels alot too. So, lookout for that if you're not aware of it. I'm doing more hamstring exercises with a rubber band thing. Wish me luck. TW

Latest Discussions