Judo: Sport or martial art?

OP
B

Baytor

Looks like I missed a little bit while I was off hunting. Look what I bagged, though!

troll.jpg

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Robert Carver said:
I can't read Japanese, but I sure as heck see a lot of pictures of folks in blue judogi!

Proven wrong again Jack!
Hello Tony,

It says: WE HATE THE BLUE GI, DON'T WEAR IT, IGNORE IT, THE BLUE GI LOOKS REAL FUNNY, KANOSENSEI IS DOING UKEMI IN HIS GRAVE, SEE HOW STUPID THE BLUE GI LOOKS WHEN IT IS WORN.... ETC, ETC.......

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
Looks like I missed a little bit while I was off hunting. Look what I bagged, though!

troll.jpg
JUDO AS A SPORT.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IamBaytor said:

troll.jpg
What 'eautiful specimen you got there, eh? Hat's off to ya mate...i'm 'eading back into bush...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also, just if i may toot my own horn...the picture of steve and his good friend the super troll were not photoshoped...that was done entirely in microsoft paint and took FOREVER....but i feel it was worth it

OP
B

Baytor

That was nice work. I have a friend that can do amazing things with paint.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
also, just if i may toot my own horn...the picture of steve and his good friend the super troll were not photoshoped...that was done entirely in microsoft paint and took FOREVER....but i feel it was worth it
So to continue why judo cannot be a sport; Japan had sports independent of their martial arts. The samurai played polo and a game of ball with teams and seasonal events that did not intrude upon the indigenous martial arts.

So when Dr. Kano developed judo, he was totally uninfluenced by sports - so judo remains a martial art being mistreated as a sport.

OP
B

Baytor

Thanks for putting us back on topic there Patrick, I needed to go and bang my head on a wall again.

Has anyone else heard the saying about arguing on the internet?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
So to continue why judo cannot be a sport; Japan had sports independent of their martial arts. The samurai played polo and a game of ball with teams and seasonal events that did not intrude upon the indigenous martial arts.

So when Dr. Kano developed judo, he was totally uninfluenced by sports - so judo remains a martial art being mistreated as a sport.
alright...What i practice is not a sport, and I will grant you the same...but why is it that you cannot accept that there is a great number of people out there that are practicing judo solely as a sport...you may not like it, and it does lead to bad judo...but this is what the world sees in the olympics and it is what is most associated with judo today

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
Thanks for putting us back on topic there Patrick, I needed to go and bang my head on a wall again.

Has anyone else heard the saying about arguing on the internet?
Some good evidence to support the argument that judo is not a sport, are these sites containing ancient Japanese sports:

'Temari' an ancient Japanese ballgame

http://ww82.tiki.ne.jp/~chu-chu/English/E-rekisi/E-rekisi.htm

'Dakyu' was Samurai polo

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e10/ed10-01.html

and this was an Edo period ball game

http://www.temarikai.com/history01.htm

which proves that the ancient Japanese were aware of sports independent of their martial arts, making judo a martial art - but being misused as a sport.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
alright...What i practice is not a sport, and I will grant you the same...but why is it that you cannot accept that there is a great number of people out there that are practicing judo solely as a sport...you may not like it, and it does lead to bad judo...but this is what the world sees in the olympics and it is what is most associated with judo today
Not necessarliy the case. I was at a shiai this morning and a I discussed this issue with several of the older club senseis, and they all were unhappy about the sportification of judo. One even told me that not all of the IJF rules are being honored at his club.

So the $portification of judo in not entirely 100% accepted.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i did not say that is what everybody was doing...but there are a great deal of people practicing judo SOLELY as a sport...i did not say everybody...

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
i did not say that is what everybody was doing...but there are a great deal of people practicing judo SOLELY as a sport...i did not say everybody...
I wouldn't even put it as high as a 'great deal', I think its just a minority of international competitors who have an inordinate influence on the art, and are sportifying judo for their own gain, via the IJF.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

The sporting aspect of Judo has been beat to death,not only on other internet boards,but in Dojo across the country. Bottom line,it is what you make it.

It's not my thing,but I can respect those who "live" for shiai. We are all Judoka in whatever the sense of the word,and need to strive to put aside our petty differences for the advancement of the art.

If you want to be a "purist",that's great and good for you,if you want to be a top competitor,that's also fine and dandy,but we must have a common ground,and that is our love of Judo.

OP
B

Baytor

Let me ask a question, as I have no Judo training...

Are there techniques that are taught more for tournaments, and others that are taught more for self defense purposes?

Latest Discussions