judo/jujitsu new york

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
anyone know of any cheap (in price) judo clubs in new york, brooklyn or queens
free is the next best thing to cheap ( maybe some kind of community center thing)

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it seems ymcas' tend to be the most reliable source for moderately low priced martial arts, which is important if you are into more than 1 thing.
and in NYC definitely not dozens, rent for space can get pretty high here.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, YMCAs are a great martial arts resource. But Judo clubs aren't too hard to find--universities are a good place to look. Even if they are only open to students/faculty/staff, they still will know where the other clubs are.

N

NOLAGIRL

An old roommate of mine trains at the NY Seibukan. Wonderful school and very skilled instructors!
- Freya Ashton Devereaux

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
free is the next best thing to cheap ( maybe some kind of community center thing)

according to the list on my sensei's article

http://www.geocities.com/john_lord_b3/modern_jujutsu.htm

Mr. Miguel Ibarra has a dojo at Bronx, New york, his website is here

http://members.aol.com/kaiden/indexb.htm

He is doing Aiki Jujutsu, so if you can't find any good judo clubs, maybe you can visit his club.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yeah, YMCAs are a great martial arts resource. But Judo clubs aren't too hard to find--universities are a good place to look. Even if they are only open to students/faculty/staff, they still will know where the other clubs are.

Oh btw, arnisador san, thank you for your support and encouragements, now I am a blue belt! yeah!

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwe Hello, I visited a Jui-Jitsu Dojo last night, I'm likely going to give them a try for a month and see if I like it, when I first arrived there was the instructor with 2 "tweens" doing forms, then they left and the adult class started, for a good while it was the instructor and I talking , then he showed me some basic moves till his class showed up, Class size was fairly small, 5 people, 2 women and 3 men, of the 5 2 were BB's and the other 3 White ;-)
1 Male BB and one Female.

Location is 101 Vanderbilt St. Brooklyn NY their # is 718-648-7013

I'd say his prices are pretty reasonable, $40 a month or $150 for 6 months and a free uniform if you join for 6 months. 7:30-9:30 PM Tuesday thru Thursday evening. He's been there since 1974, Gentlemans name is Doug, Blue collar city worker like me, he's ex military too I gathered

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alas Brother Shaw, you'd have to ask him that, I wouldn't know one from the next and didn't think to ask. I'm mainly looking into as a way to get back in some sort of shape, getting older and BIGGER in all the wrong places ;-)

I KNOW weight training will not last as I disliked it when I was young, at 42 I'll downright despise it ;-) MA training will keep my interest...I Believe ;-)

Tho truth be told I've already forgettn the name of the basic move he taught me yesterday, something like Daido or Daino, it's funny the moves I remmeber the name is a shadow in my head ;-)

Skennen Peace.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:

YMCA, McBurney Chapter located at 125 West 14th Street, bet. Sixth and Seventh. Instructor is Matsumura, Sensei - he is a true treasure! Class meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30pm to 10:00pm. Classes are $50 per session (a session is 8 weeks) for YMCA members.

Another cool dojo that I visited was Krystek's School of Judo, Jujutsu, and Boxing. Here is the site: http://www.krystekjudo.com/

Let us know how it works out for you.

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zujitsuka- Hows it going?
I was actually at mcburney for a couple months, good people and instructor. As usual though its hard to keep up with/ make the time for anything outside of my "main arts". I noticed they also had a zujitsu class there but never had the time to take a look.

Latest Discussions