Judo Gi vs. Shuai Chiao jacket

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Assume we don't mind to watch a woman matches against a man. In the following clip, the Judo woman wears Shuai Chiao jacket, and the Shuai Chiao man wears Judo Gi, both persons will be in their familiar area.

This just remind me, in Gi vs. no Gi, if

- a wrestler wears Judo Gi, and
- a Judo guy wears wrestling T-shirt,

do you think the match will be more interested and fair? Your thought?

Last edited:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any time you're having a non-sleeve wearing person, whether SJ or wrestler, put on a sleeved jacket and go against a judoka you're putting them at a disadvantage. Having no sleeves doesn't disadvantage a judoka.

Interesting video though. The woman did extremely well especially considering the size and strength difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assume we don't mind to watch a woman matches against a man. In the following clip, the Judo woman wears Shuai Chiao jacket, and the Shuai Chiao man wears Judo Gi, both persons will be in their familiar area.

This just remind me, in Gi vs. no Gi, if

- a wrestler wears Judo Gi, and
- a Judo guy wears wrestling T-shirt,

do you think the match will be more interested and fair? Your thought?

Everyone was having way too much fun there.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's the advantage of the grappling art. You can have "fun" without worrying about hurt your opponent, or being hurt by your opponent. Those kind of "fun" that you just cannot get from any striking art.

When you wrestle with a hard leather jacket Mongolian SC guy, if you are not familiar with that hard leather jacket, it can give you some problem.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. that's what I saw. It wasn't a serious match. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. You can even see the practitioners laugh and have a good time. Not a good demonstration of one's fullest abilities.

That's the advantage of the grappling art. You can have "fun" without worrying about hurt your opponent, or being hurt by your opponent. Those kind of "fun" that you just cannot get from any striking art.
it's possible to have the same type of fun when striking.
My sparring partner laughs after being kicked in the butt.
2 students laugh because they were about to throw the same punch at the same time.

If a person isn't having fun and laughing when sparring in a striking system then they are either taking it too seriously or they are hitting too hard.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can understand Chinese, you can hear one audience told the SC guy", "You should not keep trying to get her lapel grip." A lapel holding hand will always touch on a woman's chest. :)
lol.. see someone was having a lot of fun

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Answer for Wrestler vs Judoka question:
Judo man has his opponent to grab on to throw and control him, while wreslter can potentially grab himself as a defence. This goes either way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ya, but serious or not, how can you not have fun sparring/rolling? Anyone that doesn't is in the wrong game, if you ask me. (I know, you didn't ask me.) :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya, but serious or not, how can you not have fun sparring/rolling? Anyone that doesn't is in the wrong game, if you ask me. (I know, you didn't ask me.) :)

As much as I love grappling, I don't enjoy it when someone is in a north-south position and suffocates me with their sweaty chest, haha. The same when some dude's crotch is in my face if he has me in a triangle from the top.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As much as I love grappling, I don't enjoy it when someone is in a north-south position and suffocates me with their sweaty chest, haha. The same when some dude's crotch is in my face if he has me in a triangle from the top.

Oh, for sure, bro, I didn't much care for those, either. Not one little bit. Nor when I experienced my first elevator sweep - when I had never seen one before. It was a WTF? moment. As was my first can opener. (having not seen it) the discomfort was as much physiological as it was physical, but still. (hurt like hell because I was stubborn back then)

Do you remember your first suplex? (catching, not throwing) Damn near soiled myself. (seriously, I was really scared, thought I broke my neck for a second) I had never seen one before, much less felt one.

But I'm referring to the long run in sparring/rolling. All of those moments become things of - "yeah, well, I should have know better, or gotta' get a handle on that". When you train for four or five years, those first years become fond memories, some of the memories hurt, for sure, but they're still great memories. They might not have been fun "in the moment" but they sure as hell are fun memories now.

And the same goes for striking. When you throw that sweet, perfect, overhand right, you know, your baby, that mother f'kin fight ender, which just misses by a hair, and you eat the left hook from hell, which you never saw coming - it sucks then, but it's all kinds of awesome now.

If that ain't fun, I don't know what is. You know why? Because it hones you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've known folks who were too intent (for my taste) upon winning. When I compete in anything, I'd like to win, but the fun is more important. When I played soccer, if the other team couldn't field enough players, I'd recruit some of my teammates and we'd play for the other team. We'd play our best, because doing our best and having fun at the game was the point of being there. Same thing when I spar.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed. I've known folks who were too intent (for my taste) upon winning.
The wrestling is different from sparring. You can have a lucky punch land on your opponent. You will never have a lucky take down. If your opponent's skill level is higher than you, even if you may wrestle with him for 15 rounds, the final score can still be 15-0. This is why if you can take down the world wrestling champion once, you will be famous over night.

The unwritten rule in wrestling is if you win the 1st and 2nd round, you will let your opponent to win the 3rd round. When you see a wrestling round that when A attacks, his opponent B suddenly loses his defense, B tries to let A win that round on purpose.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions