Jerry Johnson - Internal Essence of Martial Arts

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure if the author Jerry Johnson has been discussed before. It was recommended I read volumes 1 and 2 titled , Internal Essence of Martial Arts. I have always been interested in QiGong, Qi, Chi energy for many years. Has anyone read both volumes ? What are your thoughts ? I have read some fantastic reviews online.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Johnson is a priest and a TCM doctor.
His work is more in those areas and reflects in his writings. He has produced videos and books on internal arts, but in my opinion I do not feel that area is his strong point.

I also think his work would be harder for a beginner to comprehend. I personally would recommend Dr.jwing Ming yang work in qigong as a foundation, study some Daoist texts, take some classes, and practice and then approach Dr. Johnson work.

OP
V

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went online and found Dr. Jwing Ming website and had a look at all the books he has written. Very interesting and have come across him in the past but didn't realize how many books he has written. I have taken an 8 week course in Gigong foundation about a year ago by my old sifu who is a Daoist Priest and found it very similar to Dr. Jwing Ming paperback book on Qigong foundation.

It was recommended by a fellow martial artist I read read both volumes of Internal Essence of Martial Arts by Dr. Johnson. I appreciate the recommendation and will definitely start reading some of Dr. Jwing Ming books and see if I can find used copies on Amazon.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW I don't think the only way to learn/use Gi/Chi is by reading Taoist or other Chinese religious works. I think it inclines the student to studying the religion more that the use of Gi.

In the Hapkido I studied, as part of our warm up, we worked on breathing exercises moving our arms, while concentrating on our Tanjon; the area about 3 fingers below our belly button. Worked for me without any change in my religious beliefs. Did I learn as fast, or as well? I can't say since I did not try the other as well. And I haven't tried blowing out candles through a wall from 20 feet away, or knocking opponents off their feet without physically touching them. I wouldn't say that is impossible, but I doubt people's ability to do so.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there any other content on volume 1 and 2 besides what the books share? Some of the stuff is really interesting and would be great if expanded on.

Latest Discussions