Japanese Jiu Jitsu vs BJJ?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
again your post shows you don´t know ..otherwise you would know & not ask such a foolish question.
Ok Dobby.

I'm pretty sure you don't know the first thing about physical confrontation, and might not even be old enough to be in a bar.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
please do not be angry just because i have another opinion.
I don't think you left it at "another opinion". You are stating things as facts that are obviously wrong, and making claims about the experiences of others. "BJJ useless outside"...."you don't know, bro, my cage is a pub" stuff is such tired nonsense, man.

You might want to stick to the bar scene (the pinnacle of martial prowess) and stay out of semi serious MA discussions.

It's hard to take drive by trolls like that seriously, like that one dude here who tried to convince us all that football hooligans were the most powerful kickers.

Your statements about BJJ are pretty overt style bashing, and that's not uncommon from people who have never trained it.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering what are the differences between Japanese Jiu jitsu and bjj? I know bjj got its roots in Judo but does it also have roots in Japanese jiu jitsu? I found these two videos online of old match one of the Gracie's had
. In these matches they spend lot of time rolling around on the mat which they don't do in modern jiu jitsu. In modern bjj they pull guard and just lay there. Are those videos of Japanese Jiu Jitsu before the Gracies built jiu jitsu. I have also found videos of Gracies doing jiu jitsu from 1951 that looks similar to what you see in the video.

Thank you
Kingofjong
I would say that Japanese Jiu Jitsu is similar to Sambo. A lot of people in my Sambo academy say it's like Japanese Sambo - lots of throws, strikes and submissions. But whilst BJJ focuses almost exclusively on dealing and controlling opponents on the ground, Japanese Jiu Jitsu would be like Sambo: focusing on ensuring smooth transitions between striking into taking an opponent down and then into controlling or submitting them once they're down. Good Japanese Jiu Jitsu academies are unfortunately hard to come across. This is simply my personal opinion, but strict adherence to old curriculums leads to outdated techniques. Outdated techniques wouldn't really be a huge issue however, if it wasn't for the fact that there is no element of sparring either.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One "thing" that has been overlooked and not mentioned in this thread is the fact that a STYLE does not win a fight. The one element I find that prevails in such encounters is THE MAN who is fighting whether it's BJJ, various jiu jutsu, karate or just a really tough guy.

I taught, in my dojo, that if you are on the ground you have only around 6 seconds max to regain you feet or you could be in a dangerous situation. Whether from broken glass, rocks and especially friends of the attacker, it's never a good place to be in a bar or in the mean streets.

As a cop I once broke up a fight where two idiots had gotten into a fight. They were so incompetent that neither hurt the other at all. However I had to take both to the infirmary due to cuts that exposed bones and tendons. They were lucky as some of the cuts barely missed arteries. The ground was littered with broken glass, stones and broken pottery and they were rolling around in that stuff. And bad dudes seldom are alone.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is it always the self-described "bar fighters" who always try to claim the intellectual high ground on hand to hand combat discussions?

"Rare that only two people" according to who?

If anyone sounds like a Bruce Lee martial arts dojo hero dude, it's the guys who claim they are bar fighting masters who always fight on their feet.
Also. Why don't they ever have any friends?

Just these lonely street fighters out on the town getting picked on.

That is kind of depressing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"everyones got a plan until they get a punch in the teeth" or something like that from Mike Tyson.
He´s right though all that rolling on the floor won´t help you outside against more than one.
I stay on my feet not on the floor.
The issue is the floor is safer for you in regards to the guy you are fighting.

If you are on top of someone it is very hard for them to incapacitate you with strikes. It is very easy for you to incapacitate them.

where standing they have as much chance of finishing you as you do finishing them.

So there are different risks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One "thing" that has been overlooked and not mentioned in this thread is the fact that a STYLE does not win a fight. The one element I find that prevails in such encounters is THE MAN who is fighting whether it's BJJ, various jiu jutsu, karate or just a really tough guy.

I taught, in my dojo, that if you are on the ground you have only around 6 seconds max to regain you feet or you could be in a dangerous situation. Whether from broken glass, rocks and especially friends of the attacker, it's never a good place to be in a bar or in the mean streets.

As a cop I once broke up a fight where two idiots had gotten into a fight. They were so incompetent that neither hurt the other at all. However I had to take both to the infirmary due to cuts that exposed bones and tendons. They were lucky as some of the cuts barely missed arteries. The ground was littered with broken glass, stones and broken pottery and they were rolling around in that stuff. And bad dudes seldom are alone.
If the style isn't making the man better. Then it isn't doing its job.

People should be getting more proficient at fighting after having done fighting training

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are on top of someone it is very hard for them to incapacitate you with strikes
depends on how far you´re prepared to go. I have been in that situation before where i grabbed the guys hair on top of me & thrust my thumb into his eye.
I got him off me i mean this is painful & not many will risk losing an eye, remember in a BJJ Dojo people do not do this kind of thing.
outside there are no rules like in a Dojo.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
depends on how far you´re prepared to go. I have been in that situation before where i grabbed the guys hair on top of me & thrust my thumb into his eye.
I got him off me i mean this is painful & not many will risk losing an eye, remember in a BJJ Dojo people do not do this kind of thing.
outside there are no rules like in a Dojo.
You must have very long arms to have been able to reach his hair and eyes from the bottom mount all while he was hitting you.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You must have very long arms to have been able to reach his hair and eyes from the bottom mount all while he was hitting you.
read the conversation properly, we are talking about a guy on top not the 69 position bro ..:rolleyes:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
read the conversation properly, we are talking about a guy on top not the 69 position bro ..:rolleyes:
The guy on top is top mount, and the guy on bottom is bottom mount.
Keys_to_Mount.png

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The guy on top is top mount, and the guy on bottom is bottom mount.
Keys_to_Mount.png
well i grabbed his hair & pulled him towards me.. even the example you posted is nothing to worry about.
can pull his lapel or grab his arm sleeve.
I suggest you look at Kosen Judo

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
well i grabbed his hair & pulled him towards me.. even the example you posted is nothing to worry about.
can pull his lapel or grab his arm sleeve.
Only someone with no training experience would say this. Bottom mount is the worst position to be in on the ground, and pulling their lapel or sleeve would achieve nothing, certainly, it wouldn't help you escape.
press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Only someone with no training experience would say this. Bottom mount is the worst position to be in on the ground, and pulling their lapel or sleeve would achieve nothing, certainly, it wouldn't help you escape.
press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg
only someone would make a comment like yours ... who clearly has never had a fight outside his dojo.

Latest Discussions