Are they all like this?

A

AgentSmith

I've been looking into different dojos in san diego that teach BBT and i came across what looks like the main site for san diego's bujinkan dojos... http://sandiegobujinkan.org/ . they are linked with hatsumi sensei and they look legitimate and reputable, but it is impossible to get a hold of them. understandably there is a strict policy regarding people coming to watch (as a matter of fact, i can't even find their location). they have an option to send in a request to train, and also a number...that leads you directly to an answering machine that asks you to leave your name and number. I've e-mailed the dojo, sent in the request, and called and left a message all over a week ago. my question (albeit probably a stupid one) is: do all bujinkan dojos maintain this type of obscurity? should i be worried about this dojo taking its time to get back to me or is this a normal amount of time? when i contacted other types of dojo's, they were prompt in their response as well as persistent...that's the only reason i'm asking whether or not it is normal.

thanks in advance.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well then, forget them. There is another Bujinkan instructor in San Diego who is a member of this site. And I reccomend him more than I do Jon Warren.

Daniel Weidman is the name you want to look for.

OP
A

AgentSmith

ah good looks...

i'll give him a call as well...

thanks for the info...did he teach at bujintech? i found their website and it doesnt look like ite been updated for a long time...

teisatsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Um... alright. That isn't Dan, and I'd guess it isn't Morgan either. Not really their "style". And guaging from the photo gallery, I'd say there is some association with Richard Van Donk. Which would, in itself, rule out either Dan or Morgan.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
RUN! do not walk to the nearest exit. Come on, anyplace that requires you to pony up a check for "Registration Tuition" before even letting you know where the training is taking place, and not letting you observe a class first should be ringing a BIG-BIG warning bell. Teisatsu is correct in the Von Donk connection, it is in the "instructors" bios area. Plus after reading the "FAQ's" getting started section (specifically the "training under another instructor" answer) I would shy away from ANY instructor who makes such an offhanded comment about what would happen to another instructor questioning the students decision to change. Granted the little smiley face may be a feable attempt to gloss over with humor, but....

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

OP
A

AgentSmith

yeah, that website did strike me as kind of pretentious...

i decided to write morgan webb an e-mail and he called me back the next day...he told me i shouldn't expect to hear back from jon warren for at least 3 months...i decided i'd check out morgan's program...it sounds like i would like his teaching methods.

thanks for the advice you guys.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
AgentSmith said:
i decided to write morgan webb an e-mail and he called me back the next day...he told me i shouldn't expect to hear back from jon warren for at least 3 months...i decided i'd check out morgan's program...it sounds like i would like his teaching methods.

thanks for the advice you guys.

Morgan is a solid guy down there. My old school was left to my top student when I left - I just sent you a PM with his contact information.

There are at least 3 other schools as well - so there are plenty of choices now. What area of SD are you in?

And don't forget the TFAM folks - in case you want to climb to the top of 5 Chinese mountains (the fifth mountain is by invitation only) in your search for *other* Japanese ninja clans... LOL.

Check out as many classes as you can find and stick with the instructor you like the most. I can get you contact information and class times for everyone but Jon Warren...

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

OP
A

AgentSmith

Thanks for the info and help. you got mail...

haha the full autumn moon was the first school i discovered...no disrespect but they lost me at the ritual dances and the cultivation of my psychic skills...

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you made it to any classes yet? What are your impressions (for others looking in SD in the future...)?

-Daniel Weidman

PS. How can you not want to cultivate psychic skills?

OP
A

AgentSmith

I was able to sit in on a class last week...I like what I see. It's a really relaxed, informal training environment...that being said he's dead serious about what he does. I'm going to my first actual class tonight...once I'm able to give a more in-depth review, I will.

P.S. I don't think I could handle anything past the third mountain...which is where I think the psychic ritual dances begin...

Latest Discussions