jade and the importance thereof

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that jade holds high symbolic importance in Chinese culture. I've read that they believe wearing it is a statement of your moral character and enhances your focus as well as other health effects.

I've noticed in several kung fu documentaries Shaolin monks often wear jade pendants. Does anyone know if jade has any specific importance to kung fu practitioners?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was able to find this on the significance of Jade, though no mention specifically to Kung Fu, I would guess because of the significance Jade holds in Chinese culture that Kung Fu practitioners would find comfort in wearing it at all times.

Revered as the most valuable of all precious stones, jade symbolizes nobility, perfection and immortality. It is also believed that jade possesses the power of luck, with the ability to deflect evil spirits and bad luck.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Among some of the other things I've heard about jade, it's supposed to help keep the qi cool so temperance on things (in general) becomes easier.

Maybe I need to start wearing mine again... :idunno:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More Jade info:

In the chinese culture, jade symbolizes nobility, perfection, constancy and immortality. For millenia, jade has been an integral part of the lives of Chinese. It is viewed as the most valuable of all precious stones. For the Chinese, Jade held an occult value apart from its commercial value. Since nearly the beginning of the Chinese civilization, it was considered the
" Stone of Heaven".

There are two types of Jade: Jadeite and Nephrite.

Jadeite is rarer and the highest quality is known as imperial Jade. Jadeite comes in many colors: red, yellow, green, lilac, black, orange, white, pink, blue and brown. Jadeite has a hardness of 7.

Nephrite Jade is more common and is often used in chinese carvings. Nephrite Jade comes in various tones of green -- mostly with an olive green tone. It has a hardness of 6.5.

Be aware that Serpentine is often sold as Jade.

Reputable dealers will not use the following misleading terms. However, for your protection, I am listing them here:

"Amazon jade" and "Colorado Jade" is really Amazonite (green feldspar).

"American jade" is really the Californite (green variety of idocrase).

"Imperial mexican jade" and "mexican jade" are really green-dyed calcite.

"Indian jade" is really aventurine.

"Korea jade" and "New jade" are really Serpentine.

Its gentle, smooth, glossy appearance suggests charity of heart;
Its fine close texture and hardness suggests wisdom;
It is firm and yet does not wound, suggesting duty to one's neighbor;
It hangs down as though sinking, suggesting ceremony;
Struck, it gives a clear note, long drawn out,
Dying gradually away and suggesting music;
Its flaws does not hide its excellences,
Nor does its excellences hide its flaws, suggesting loyalty;
It gains our confidence, suggesting truth;
Its spirituality is like the bright rainbow,
Suggesting the earth below;
As articles of regalia it suggests the exemplification
Of that than which there is nothing in the world of equal value,
And thereby is Tao itself.
-Confucius

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aha! Found something regarding why you would see shaolin monks wearing jade pendants.

The Taoists believed jade could keep one physically immortal. The jade carvings are used as amulets to protect people from diseases and keep their Buddhist faith strong.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Aha! Found something regarding why you would see shaolin monks wearing jade pendants.

The Taoists believed jade could keep one physically immortal. The jade carvings are used as amulets to protect people from diseases and keep their Buddhist faith strong.

Yayy! I was looking for immortality but I didn't want to go thru what the monkey king had to go through.

Latest Discussions