Jackie Chan vs Jet Li

OP
I

iwingchun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the winner will be Jet Li because he is faster!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jet Li is trained in Modern Wushu and "Sanshou" but actually an old school version of what they teach today.

Jackie Chan was trained in Chinese Opera

nuff said

F

foggymorning162

I don't know who would win but I like Jackie better.... he's funny:lol:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How about a closed temple?

In a closed room they'd probably sit and compare their aches and pains, and given Jackie's history of broken bones, he'd probably win.

Last edited by a moderator:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jet Li is trained in Modern Wushu and "Sanshou" but actually an old school version of what they teach today.

Jackie Chan was trained in Chinese Opera

nuff said

Jackie STARTED in Chinese Opera (which was brutally difficult, btw) but since then has trained with many martial arts master in many styles.

Notably: Jin Pal Kim, a high-ranking instructor under Hapkido great Ji Han Jae.

According to http://www.web-vue.com/hapkido.htm :

Chan, Hung and Mao all got their starts in Chinese opera, a stylized storybook combination of acrobatics, martial arts, singing, and acting. Chan attracted public attention in the early 1970's with his martial arts comedy Drunken Monkey. He began Hapkido training under Kim soon after that film, and still attributes his only official martial arts training to Kim.

"When Jackie first came to my school, his kicks were not very good," Kim recalls. "Most of his stunts involved rolling and gymnastic techniques from Chinese opera. However, with his flexibility and tumbling experience, Jackie quickly learned Hapkido."

Chan eventually earned a black belt in Hapkido, learning all facets of the art and specialing in self defense kicking techniques. He was especially partial to aerial maneuvers such as flying side and back kicks, double front kicks, and flying scissors kicks.

Chan has even taught Hapkido to the 20 stunt men who work for him. Chan demands realism in his movie fight scenes, and each of his stunt men are skilled in kicking, joint locking, and throwing.

According to ME, Hapkido > Sanshou+Wushu

:D

;)

:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jackie STARTED in Chinese Opera (which was brutally difficult, btw)

I know, a good friend is from the same school or at least the Guangzhou version :)

According to ME, Hapkido > Sanshou+Wushu

All depends on how long he trained Hapkido and how long Jet Li trained Sanshou. The Wushu would only be the preformance version of TCMA.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
All depends on how long he trained Hapkido and how long Jet Li trained Sanshou. The Wushu would only be the preformance version of TCMA.

Sigh.. true enough :)

An another note (warning: temporary thread highjack) — you and I seem to have a similar heritage: GM Park (my instructor's instructor) also had an ongoing battle with trees.

One of the local stories that people tell about him (those who remember seeing him during his tenure at the university) remember him jogging around campus stopping occassionally to punch and kick trees. Constant vigilance! They may LOOK innocent and huggable, but you can't trust 'em! ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sigh.. true enough :)

An another note (warning: temporary thread highjack) — you and I seem to have a similar heritage: GM Park (my instructor's instructor) also had an ongoing battle with trees.

One of the local stories that people tell about him (those who remember seeing him during his tenure at the university) remember him jogging around campus stopping occassionally to punch and kick trees. Constant vigilance! They may LOOK innocent and huggable, but you can't trust 'em! ;)

BROTHER !!! :D

warning: temporary thread highjack, and then I'll stop

My Sanda sifu was outside his office one sunny afternoon for lunch and he went and started training by...hitting trees. And then a NY State Police office came walking over and said "Sir... Please do not hit the trees" Apprently you are not allowed to beat up trees on state property... that or...the NYSPs are on thier side ;)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jackie Chan vs Jet Li.

Well we know Jackie does all his own stunts. No wires, no gimicks. We also know Jet Li uses wires and gimicks.

What we don't know is, has either one of them actually fought full contact or in other ways demonstrated their skills in real life situations?

Look, most of Hollywood is based on fantacy. What you see on the boob tube is fake. Fake as can be.

So keep that in mind.

Deaf

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well we know Jackie does all his own stunts. No wires, no gimicks. We also know Jet Li uses wires and gimicks.

Jackie Chan also uses wirework, just not to the extent that Jet Li usually does. Chan uses it to accentuate that action, he just has a tendency not to do blatantly impossible things.

Lamont

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jackie Chan also uses wirework, just not to the extent that Jet Li usually does. Chan uses it to accentuate that action, he just has a tendency not to do blatantly impossible things.

Lamont

Exactly! Well said.

That is one thing that tends to skew my opinion toward Jackie: most of his stuff that involves wires looks within the realm of possibility — for example, jerking someone backward to create the effect of having been kicked hard.

Li's wire work sometimes has him doing things that simply defy physics, even if you HAD super strength and jumping ability — such as changing directions or rotations while in the air.

It's a shame, IMO, as Li can do plenty of amazing things on his own. It just seems he really doesn't have the intuitive feel for physics that Jackie seems to have.

Latest Discussions