Jack Reacher books

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished tripwire. A good story not the best but it was good and engaging with a decent main villain. Like how reacher took some damage in this one and didn't just beat them easily. Liked the twist at the end about who the hook guy really was.

Onto without fail next which sounds like he's protecting the president

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished without fail. Another good story not the best one but a good straight forward one. The mystery wasn't that complex and the villains motivation was pretty lame but I liked the dynamic between reacher and neagley If I'm right I believe she's in a later book set during the army days. Speaking of which my next one is the enemy the first one set during the army days but won't be reading that yet having a reacher break for now because I'm going to be reading ant Middletons book. He's a former SBS veteran who now hosts a TV show showing civilians taking part in SAS selection. He's also been in prison for fighting before. Tbh what it sounds like he's a bit of a thug and has openly said he enjoys killing people. But should be an interesting read

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read the first 5 earlier this year. Good descriptions of the close-quarters combat and overall decent writing, but I found the villains to always be the same caricatures--grossly overweight, cruelly evil for evil's sake, etc.--and the coincidences involved just too much to bear. Lots I liked in them, including some deviations from the expected for the genre, but I just started finding them too similar to one another.

Liked the first movie a lot but found the second one boring. The height difference is indeed considerable! :D

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nearly finished persuader. Just read the fight scene between reacher and Paulie the big guy on steroids and dam that's easily the best fight I've read in these books. Reacher struggled for the first time against him and would've lost the fight if he hadn't tried to side kick him.

Personally though I think reachers strategy wasn't the best in that fight he was dodging and trying to tire him out and hit with counter strikes. A good strategy at first but he saw his strikes had no effect so I would've kept kicking his legs every time he attacked then he wouldn't move as fast and his punches wouldn't have as much power.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Met Lee Child this weekend down the road a bit from me at Harrogate. Seems a decent chap.
(Theakston's is a local brewery to us, Old Peculier is one of their rather good beers.)
CRIME WRITING FESTIVAL

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think reacher translates well on screen. His biggest attribute is his mind and he doesn't have a lot of clever dialogue a lot of the clever thoughts are in his mind so it's hard to translate that on screen and it just makes him like a wannabe James Bond. His strength and his fighting ability isn't as important in the stories as his brain and it's hard for that to come off on screen

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just started bad luck and trouble. Looking forward to it heard very good things about it. It's the one where an old member of his team is killed and he teams up with the rest of his time to find out what happened

Latest Discussions