Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
repost

As so many New Orleans residents did during the floods caused by Hurricane Katrina, businessman Abdulrahman Zeitoun ended up on his house roof. He fashioned a canoe and paddled out to help other victims, but he was arrested, and a shocking ordeal followed.

http://www.buffalonews.com/185/story/772426.html

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...

I believe my initial response was something like...

Unacceptable
Unacceptable
Unacceptable
Unacceptable
Unacceptable
Unacceptable
Unacceptable
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a long stretch of Massachusetts Avenue that runs between Harvard and MIT. Bunch of official looking buildings in a few spots. Is there a FEMA camp there?

Oh, there isn't?

Well, Mass. Ave is crowded these days. So....well, out here in rural New Hampshire there's some wide open space by Pinkerton Academy, perhaps that is.....

Thought not..

Hey how about by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. Ya know several of those old buildings could be hiding.....

Ya don't say.

So where are these camps built?

Ahhh.....typically where the education system is subpar and people may not understand their rights. I get it now. Sort of. Excuse me while I go throw up.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to exercise your rights when your legally owned and properly registered firearms have been stolen, err I mean "temporarily collected for your own safety", just before being told to vacate your home by armed thugs who will then ransack and loot it, err I mean the brave police of New Orleans who will protect (their ability to bully) and serve (themselves freely from your kitchen).

Nearly four years after the police shootout that took the lives of Ronald Madison and James Brissette on New Orleans’ Danziger Bridge, the FBI raided the offices of the police investigators who had been looking into the deadly incident. The bureau’s move suggests that the federal government may be serious about seeing police officers prosecuted over the Sept. 4, 2005 shootout, when Madison and Brissette were allegedly killed by police while four others were wounded as they crossed a bridge in the midst of the Hurricane Katrina crisis.
It also suggests the FBI may be worried that New Orleans police are trying — or may in the future try — to destroy evidence of what happened that day.
http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/08/08/fbi-raids-nola-police-over-katrina-killings/

Hard to protect those rights when you've been lied to and brainwashed into thinking that guns are for the bad guys only.

On Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005, armed and badged black-uniformed men and a tall woman in a power boat appeared at the door of one of his properties that he, his tenant, and two others were using as a meeting place because it still had a working phone. Zeitoun was in the middle of a call with his brother Ahmad, a ship captain, calling from Spain to repeat his pleas to Zeitoun to leave town.
With no questions asked and no questions allowed, Zeitoun and the others were handcuffed and shackled at automatic weapon-point, dropped into the boat, and taken away; the officers didn’t secure the house or treat it as a crime scene and left it unlocked, which meant it was eventually completely stripped and looted.
(original link in OP)

Abdulrahman Zeitoun's poet-Katrina odyssey

Griffith said that he saw several police and immigration authorities "harassing" three young black men on Thursday night outside the community medical clinic where he volunteers in the Algiers neighborhood. A long-time activist with Copwatch, a loosely knit network of local groups that monitor and document police misconduct, Griffith went outside to videotape the exchange. He said the police let the three men go, but then proceeded to grab a man two houses down who had just walked out of his house.

"At that point we asked them why they were arresting him and what the charges were, and they told us to mind out own business," Griffith said. "I asked one of the officers what his name and badge number was and almost instantly he and two ICE [US Immigration and Customs Enforcement] cops came at me. He grabbed me, twisted my arm behind my back and slammed my face into the back of the cruiser."

Griffith, whose account was corroborated by two witnesses, told The NewStandard that the officers took his video camera, slammed it on the ground and kicked it across the street. "They justified arresting me by saying that I broke a police cordon or crossed a police line," he said. "There was no police line and I didn't cross one in any situation anyway." Griffith said that the police searched him without consent and found his pocket-knife and accused him of having an illegal weapon. "And they proceeded to say I was resisting arrest as they were slamming my face into the cruiser."

Griffith said that he was using his cell phone in the back of the police car when one officer saw him making the calls and came to the back of the car and took his cell phone, twisted his arms and slammed his face into the plexiglas barrier in the back of the cruiser.

In the car ride to the police station, the officers started joking about shooting him in the back and throwing him in the river, Griffith said. "They turned the radio up and started saying stuff like, "Yeah we're just gonna kill him, we're just gonna shoot him and throw him in the river, no one will ever know."
http://www.alternet.org/katrina/28311/

Chilling.

You have the inept FEMA response, the clueless Bush administrations response, the reprehensible actions of the NOPD, and lets not forget the actions of a number of scumbag civilians who took the opportunity to prey on their neighbors and loot the joint.

What a fracking mess.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard to exercise your rights when your legally owned and properly registered firearms have been stolen, err I mean "temporarily collected for your own safety", just before being told to vacate your home by armed thugs who will then ransack and loot it, err I mean the brave police of New Orleans who will protect (their ability to bully) and serve (themselves freely from your kitchen).

Since the beginning of time the power's resided in who had the biggest gun.... no wonder they want the 2nd amendment abolished. :rolleyes:

It's so much easier when they don't fight, isn't it?

Hard to protect those rights when you've been lied to and brainwashed into thinking that guns are for the bad guys only.

...or for hunters. There's no plausible reason for a well armed citizenry. It's simply barbaric and uncivilized.....

...right....:rolleyes:

You have the inept FEMA response, the clueless Bush administrations response, the reprehensible actions of the NOPD, and lets not forget the actions of a number of scumbag civilians who took the opportunity to prey on their neighbors and loot the joint.

What a fracking mess.

...a microcasm of what could very easily happen on a national level given current events as they are.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Curious

The reviews on Amazon are curious to say the least. Lots of nice ratings from readers but the content of the reviews are nearly all:

"Great storytelling. Oh yeah and its true too."

Not a lot of outrage, unless I missed something.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
outrage is for people you know or care about.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch! Good point

I'm glad the Canisius College professor that wrote the article cared.

He works in enough objection to be genuinely concerned about the issue. Just enough. Not so much that you want to throw him a tinfoil hat, and not so little that he's with the "Helluva tale" Amazoners. Its odd for me to get so excited over a book review, but that is a standout article.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you get a chance google/youtube "FEMA Camps."

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a few bits I've read, the outside LEO's who helped out the NOPD filed a lot of complaints when they returned to their home areas. Seems they saw alot of actions they didn't care for.

The FEMA camps stuff concerns me.

Latest Discussions