Isn't Bas Ruttens hook delivered in this study suboptimally executed?

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
From a boxing perspective that is. It just looks weird to me, and I'm not even a boxer!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does look a bit awkward, but I think it's because he was going for all out power, without thinking as much about speed and protecting himself. Speed in regard to distance between point A and B, not radar gun hand speed, if you know what I mean.

Also, it doesn't matter if he's using good form or not for the purpose of the study. If he hits the bag the same way every time, the only difference should be the amount of force of bare fist, MMA glove, and boxing glove. If you or I hit the bag, the end result would be the same in regards to the different gloves and bare fist; we'd have different amounts of force, but the differences in the gloves and fists would be consistent.

I'm not sure how many times he actually hit the bag. Hopefully he hit it a lot and they took an average for each type. I say this because it doesn't look like he didn't hit solidly with the knuckles when he had the boxing gloves on. It looks like he hit more with his fingers, as evidenced by the white area on the gloves. Or maybe it's just me.

Either way, it doesn't look like a textbook hook. But he'd easily kick my butt anyway :)

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It does look a bit awkward, but I think it's because he was going for all out power, without thinking as much about speed and protecting himself. Speed in regard to distance between point A and B, not radar gun hand speed, if you know what I mean.

Also, it doesn't matter if he's using good form or not for the purpose of the study. If he hits the bag the same way every time, the only difference should be the amount of force of bare fist, MMA glove, and boxing glove. If you or I hit the bag, the end result would be the same in regards to the different gloves and bare fist; we'd have different amounts of force, but the differences in the gloves and fists would be consistent.

I'm not sure how many times he actually hit the bag. Hopefully he hit it a lot and they took an average for each type. I say this because it doesn't look like he didn't hit solidly with the knuckles when he had the boxing gloves on. It looks like he hit more with his fingers, as evidenced by the white area on the gloves. Or maybe it's just me.

Either way, it doesn't look like a textbook hook. But he'd easily kick my butt anyway :)

I know it's irrelevant for the study, but I actually think a textbook hook from the same Bas Rutten would generate more force. Someone wrote in the comment section that Bas was never formally trained in boxing so that's why his technique looks home cooked, because it is!

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From a boxing perspective that is. It just looks weird to me, and I'm not even a boxer!

When he struck it with the boxing glove it looked like his arm was open at a wider angle. It looked fine with the MMA glove and bare knuckle. Bas is known for using this "all of the above" strike as he refers to it as. He has used it in professional fights to strike the liver and spleen. Granted the strike is delivered higher up in the boxing/mma glove video, but the mechanics are very similar. Here's the video of him explaining and demonstrating it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Apparently he also hit harder than anyone else ever had on that show.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know it's irrelevant for the study, but I actually think a textbook hook from the same Bas Rutten would generate more force. Someone wrote in the comment section that Bas was never formally trained in boxing so that's why his technique looks home cooked, because it is!

Probably not.

A textbook hook is not really about battering its way through a guard with the most amount of force as you can muster.

It is about finding a position of vulnerability and hitting the right spot at the right time.

The reason for this is there are only so many punches you can throw without collapsing. So you have to make the shots count for more effect with less energy expenditure.

Eg. Connor Mc Gregor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So while these hooks all knocked people out.

This guy can brace his head and survive hard punching.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably not.

A textbook hook is not really about battering its way through a guard with the most amount of force as you can muster.

I'm simply extrapolating based on the fact that his body did not appear to be in unision, like a textbook hook, when delivering the technique. But anyway, I was mainly interested in if it was deemed correct.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You think you can teach Bas Rutten then? He's a karateka not a boxer, he's an MMA fighter not a boxer, if he hits you, you go down, it's as simple as that. He doesn't have to be 'text book' correct, in MMA there's no 'correct'... it works or it doesn't. You KO your opponent or he KOs you, getting hung up on 'correct' technique is pointless especially when he's only hitting a bag not an opponent.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You think you can teach Bas Rutten then? He's a karateka not a boxer, he's an MMA fighter not a boxer, if he hits you, you go down, it's as simple as that. He doesn't have to be 'text book' correct, in MMA there's no 'correct'... it works or it doesn't. You KO your opponent or he KOs you, getting hung up on 'correct' technique is pointless especially when he's only hitting a bag not an opponent.

That's irrelevant. The thread is not about whether his punch works or not. It's posted in a boxing thread for the technique geeks only.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bas Rutten isn't a boxer, either.

Nobody throws punches the same way against an opponent as they do on a bag used to measure some form of force/power. Especially on camera, for a tv show. Some may disagree, probably not anyone who's actually done it. Your intent is not the same. Nor are your mechanics.

Sure is a fun guy to watch, though.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bas also states he it's not going to be a straight, it's not going to be an uppercut, it's not going to be a hook. It's going to be kinda all of the above.
When it comes to Bas and punching...his are text book Bas not boxing.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's irrelevant. The thread is not about whether his punch works or not. It's posted in a boxing thread for the technique geeks only.
Does it work? I don't know ask the 28 people he's beaten and the 13 he's knocked out

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does it work? I don't know ask the 28 people he's beaten and the 13 he's knocked out

Sigh. I didn't ask if it works, I asked if it was correct from a textbook perspective. People are really struggling here..

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bas also states he it's not going to be a straight, it's not going to be an uppercut, it's not going to be a hook. It's going to be kinda all of the above.
When it comes to Bas and punching...his are text book Bas not boxing.

Okey, I didn't know that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh. I didn't ask if it works, I asked if it was correct from a textbook perspective. People are really struggling here..
Purely because I'm a noodge, in the OP you actually asked if it was suboptimal, from a boxing perspective. If it knocks out boxers (and it does), that would probably mean it's pretty optimal for him. You clarified it later, but again, I'm a noodge sometimes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You asked if it was 'suboptimal' the answer is no, it works. He's not a boxer so why would you question his technique on a boxing thread? He's an MMA fighter so isn't going to do things the way a boxer would. If you'd put the OP in the general martial arts or the MMA and competitive arts site then you would have had different answers, as it is you are asking about someone who is not a boxer and whether his technique is good boxing technique, why would it be?

No, people aren't struggling here at all. See the quote below. You are asking the wrong question.

Purely because I'm a noodge, in the OP you actually asked if it was suboptimal, from a boxing perspective. If it knocks out boxers (and it does), that would probably mean it's pretty optimal for him. You clarified it later, but again, I'm a noodge sometimes.

Latest Discussions