Is it worth the buck to train boxing recreationaly?

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm torn between sticking with my traditional martial arts (4 years of training) and doing something new - that is boxing! I'm very tempted after recieving my first degree black belt to switch!

How many of you traditional martial artists were hooked by boxing? The problem is that I won't be sparring anytime soon, so any free trial won't really tell me as much as would want it too. I have already drilled boxing techniques in my current club, although we don't have it down to a science in the same way. The thing I look forward to the most is sparring and improving.

Also, boxing gyms are very pricey compared to the traditional martial arts, so it better be worth it!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between sticking with my traditional martial arts (4 years of training) and doing something new - that is boxing! I'm very tempted after recieving my first degree black belt to switch!

How many of you traditional martial artists were hooked by boxing? The problem is that I won't be sparring anytime soon, so any free trial won't really tell me as much as would want it too. I have already drilled boxing techniques in my current club, although we don't have it down to a science in the same way. The thing I look forward to the most is sparring and improving.

Also, boxing gyms are very pricey compared to the traditional martial arts, so it better be worth it!
If I wasn't traveling, and had the money to drop on it, boxing would be reasonably high on my list of options. I probably wouldn't stay with it more than a year or two, and would have no interest in competing. But to work those techniques with guys who focus on them would be really good. It could do nothing but improve what I do now.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I respect boxers and boxing. However, I'm too old to take repetitive head shots of that sort.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Boxing is an excellent addition to fighting knowledge.
Have you not done any sparring with the training you've done over the past 4 years?
Most boxing gyms have people sparring within a very short period of time. What do you mean by not sparring anytime soon?
Any good gym/coach will have you doing slow and light technical sparring before getting into free style sparring.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I boxed growing up. Great for learning how to get your weight behind your punches and maximizing power. Also will improve footwork, timing, and angles.

If you can, I would suggest definitely giving it a try.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know the norm where you are, but the norm here is there's a few "commercial" boxing gyms which focus on fitness (kind of like cardio kickboxing), and ones that focus on relatively speaking "real boxing." The commercial gyms are expensive, and the competitive ones are significantly cheaper. Or at least the prices were about 10 years ago when I checked. If you want actual boxing, look for an actual gym like you would for a dojo.

Boxing is great. It teaches footwork, mechanics of movement, angles, etc. It's different in that regard from any karate I've trained, and I found it more technical and intricate. Hard to explain in words. Obviously different teachers/coaches teach differently, so what you get out of it will be dependent on that. If I had the time, opportunity and money to get to a boxing gym semi-regularly, I would in a heartbeat. I worked out with the boxing club while I was in college. It really took my karate skills to the next level.

Only way to find out if it's worth your time is to check out a place or two. It may not be worth it, or you may love it and drop everything else, or something in between.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the norm where you are, but the norm here is there's a few "commercial" boxing gyms which focus on fitness (kind of like cardio kickboxing), and ones that focus on relatively speaking "real boxing." The commercial gyms are expensive, and the competitive ones are significantly cheaper. .

It's the other way around here.. The real competitive gyms cost a fortune. 2-3 hundred dollars more. One is run by a Boxing coach/Kyokushin Karateka who've I spoken with in the past. His former pupil and now pro boxer was my cousin. They don't see eye to eye anymore but I can surely train with him anway? I have no ambitions to go pro so I don't think my cousin would mind, right?

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will they let me spar sooner if I have 4 years of "kickboxing-type" sparring? I really don't know if it's my thing or not until I spar.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously different teachers/coaches teach differently, so what you get out of it will be dependent on that. .

Could you elaborate on how they would differ? I'm very interested to learn.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's the other way around here.. The real competitive gyms cost a fortune. 2-3 hundred dollars more. One is run by a Boxing coach/Kyokushin Karateka who've I spoken with in the past. His former pupil and now pro boxer was my cousin. They don't see eye to eye anymore but I can surely train with him anway? I have no ambitions to go pro so I don't think my cousin would mind, right?
Well tbh who cares what your cousin this is your life not his you make your own choices. If he's upset by it well screw him if he's going to be that petty

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will they let me spar sooner if I have 4 years of "kickboxing-type" sparring? I really don't know if it's my thing or not until I spar.
Most places should let you spar straight away. But sparring is not the only thing. Boxing will more than likely by a lot more physically demanding than what you're used to it's also very repetitive due to the fact there's only a few moves compared to other martial arts so really once you've learned the basic punches you won't be learning anything /new/ you'll be learning combos and tactics and improving on those punches each but the actual moves you can learn how to do in 1 lesson. That's not a bad thing as you'll be an expert in those moves but I know it'd not for everyone, best bet try it see what you think. You say your cousins a boxer try and spar with him outside a gym and see if you can handle getting hit then make your decision. That's my advice

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most places should let you spar straight away. But sparring is not the only thing.

The getting hit part is not a problem. The problem is that I would have to abandon my current school because I can't afford or have the time for both. Yet boxing is very tempting. If I absolutely can't stand the rule set and getting adjusted to the new stances, it's an easier decision which to choose. I think I would love boxing sparring but I just don't know.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The getting hit part is not a problem. The problem is that I would have to abandon my current school because I can't afford or have the time for both. Yet boxing is very tempting. If I absolutely can't stand the rule set and getting adjusted to the new stances, it's an easier decision which to choose. I think I would love boxing sparring but I just don't know.
Well you'll have to get used to them, they won't let you use your old ones they will tell you you're doing it wrong and correct you, best way to do it is gone in there and think you're a total beginner who knows nothing dont think about what you did or have done, in a new style what you did before means nothing all that matters is there and then. I've trained in other styles apart from my base and the best thing to do is what they're telling you. If you go in there questioning everything like oh but I do it like this or I was shown it another way because....they won't appreciate that at all

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also why do you have to abandon it, just mix it up. One week go one place next week go to the other

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you'll have to get used to them, they won't let you use your old ones they will tell you you're doing it wrong and correct you, best way to do it is gone in there and think you're a total beginner who knows nothing dont think about what you did or have done, in a new style what you did before means nothing all that matters is there and then. I've trained in other styles apart from my base and the best thing to do is what they're telling you. If you go in there questioning everything like oh but I do it like this or I was shown it another way because....they won't appreciate that at all

I have no intentions letting them know anything about how I used to spar since it's irrelevant. Point is that I'm ready for sparring right away, and sparring is most likely the deciding factor.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no intentions letting them know anything about how I used to spar since it's irrelevant. Point is that I'm ready for sparring right away, and sparring is most likely the deciding factor.
They'll be the ones who decide if you're ready or not I mean if they don't think you're ready you won't be sparring. I've seen people who are great at other styles but still aren't allowed to spar until a certain amount of passed

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
but the actual moves you can learn how to do in 1 lesson.

No...lol.

There is much more to it than that. From the outside Boxing looks very simplistic but reality its much more complex than it looks.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
No...lol.

There is much more to it than that. From the outside Boxing looks very simplistic but reality its much more complex than it looks.
Yes....lol

There are 4 punches in boxing jab,cross,hook and uppercut and you can learn the basics of them in 1 lesson yes you can improve them and they won't be perfect after 1 lesson but you'll know what the punches are and you will have a fundamental idea of how to do them after a lesson

Latest Discussions