Is [your martial art] good for a "real fight"?

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So basically you are good at sucker punching. So am I and it makes me not impressed with your skill.
I think you missed the part thru a number posts where I was talking about using this in defense with people that come after me, particularly with a weapon. It works very well in a short period of time as they bare down on you. Thats when I use it. You wanna go toe to toe with somebody wih a weapon or multiple attackers coming after you, feel free to do so. My intension is to end the threat as quickly as possible.

People that aren't much of a threat, I've generally just blocked 3 or 4 of their punches, and they look at me real weird and go elsewhere.

Last edited:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I never wanted to use my aggressive mode. I had to or I would've been sliced up, killed, shot...most likely dead one way or another.

My instructor threw me out of his school after 9 years because I was very reluctant to use my destructive abilities, but on the street, turned out I had to anyway.

In light contact sparring I could use my speed with little or no damage to people. On the steet with people that wanna kill you... you've gotta cause as much damage as possible, as fast as you can. It turned out I was well trained for it regardless that I was reluctant to use it. I just didn't like that my instructor demanded it.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our heads are so fragile. Sometimes it's one good fall with skull-to-pavement that does you in. I know someone who was hit by the boom on a sailboat, and her life has changed: she can no longer work, and her judgement has been badly impaired. Another person received a brain injury in a car accident, and can't concentrate long enough to hold down a job, and has to rest after we meet for lunch. She was a dynamic real estate agent before the accident.

My hot take: people who like real "street" fighting (not sparring) are delusional or damaged from childhood trauma. The well-adjusted martial artist hates the idea of a real fight, and wants to end it quickly, or better, not engage at all. Ending it quickly is not for ego, but to minimize the time spent fighting to reduce the likelihood of legal entanglements or tragic accidents.

No, I've never been in a real fight, which either means I'm a coward, or my avoidance, deflection, and de-escalation techniques have worked so far. Or maybe I'm in the sweet spot: too old to be a threat, but not so old to be an easy target.
I would beg to differ as the main obstacle to overcome in fighting is to relieve tension and learn how to enjoy it wherever you are. The problem lies in lack of responsibility. I have had to use my abilities twice when attacked but would never actually go looking for trouble.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very, very good video from Karate Nerd and Icy Mike about street fighting and combat sports. I recommend to watch whole episode:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very, very good video from Karate Nerd and Icy Mike about street fighting and combat sports. I recommend to watch whole episode:
I love how methodically Mike breaks down the "dirty fighting" argument. And his breakdown of how fundamental fighting skills are what you need for weapons is great, too.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of instructors out there who don't think of SD/"street" that way. They conceive of an entirely different set of fundamentals that apply there.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love how methodically Mike breaks down the "dirty fighting" argument. And his breakdown of how fundamental fighting skills are what you need for weapons is great, too.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of instructors out there who don't think of SD/"street" that way. They conceive of an entirely different set of fundamentals that apply there.
Great video. Really puts the cookies on the bottom shelf.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't watch video due to limited data, but I always thought the only issue is survival and not going to jail for defending yourself. Is it any more complex than that? I only fight empty hand and have never killed any body, but have hurt a coulpe people pretty bad. I think if somebody comes after me, especially with a weapon and I'm unarmed, them I'm justified in putting them down hard and fast. Also, I'm 5' 9", 145 lbs and ive almost entirely had to fight guys that are 175 lbs and up. My max weight ever was 157. I have to capitalize on speed....and soft spots.

Last edited:

patientcrista

White Belt
Reaction score
Calling people delusional is not a judgement you can make. It's a broad statement that is stereotypical, and demeaning without regard to many circumstances. Who is well adjusted? It's more likely that some people are sheltered and some people get the full force of society early with no support. The only reason I was able to train intensly, with my instructor from 14 to 23 was because he never charged me a dime, the entire time. He never said anything about it even with a school to support....tho, he got an assistant instructor out of the deal. I don't know if it was his plan. One day he told me, you lead the class
:cool:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He left Ip Mann in 1965 or 66 at 17, when his parents sent him to train with Ed Parker near LA. When I met him in late 69, I was very enthusiastic about his approach to training, which was a combination of both systems. I added a few things along the way that I found to fit myself, which he encouraged.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He left Ip Mann in 1965 or 66 at 17, when his parents sent him to train with Ed Parker near LA. When I met him in late 69, I was very enthusiastic about his approach to training, which was a combination of both systems. I added a few things along the way that I found to fit myself, which he encouraged.
"He", who?

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"He", who?
The guy that trained me from 14 to 23 years old. My instructor.

Sorry, I tend to assume people read some posts up so they understand my preceding points, but point taken.

...and I assumed this was definitive,

"I was very enthusiastic about his approach to training,"

Last edited:

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem I have with grappling is time. I think people forget the opponent frequently has a buddy or two trying to sneak up on your backside. I stuck with high movement and added some Akido like technique to more direct the first opponent where I needed him to go. You can still do damage very quicky first. Then he's at the 2nd guys feet....or in the way.

There's always a short period where the unexpected fast strike works well and makes it easier to gain control.

For me it works particularly well because people underestimate what I'm capable of. It's always a big surprise.
Yeah, this is in fact how they teach in most practically oriented arts . Atemi (striking) creates openings for your control techniques

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I tend to assume people read some posts up so they understand my preceding points, but point taken.

Usually, posts that quote other posts are replies to those posts. If that one was, I missed the train of thought entirely. So the whole post felt like a non sequitur, with no context to it. Since many of us have had multiple instructors, it wasn't clear who you were referring to.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can
sually, posts that quote other posts are replies to those posts. If that one was, I missed the train of thought entirely. So the whole post felt like a non sequitur, with no context to it. Since many of us have had multiple instructors, it wasn't clear who you were referring to.

Yeah, I can see that. I do only one thread at a time...so I was referring to other posts....

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

What was his name? Your instructors name, who is he?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually, posts that quote other posts are replies to those posts. If that one was, I missed the train of thought entirely. So the whole post felt like a non sequitur, with no context to it. Since many of us have had multiple instructors, it wasn't clear who you were referring to.
It still isn’t clear who he was referring to. He has yet to name his instructor.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self inflicted wound comes to mind

Latest Discussions