Is wing chun effective at all?

JzHernandez77

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn and have asked a lot of questions on many other sites about wing chun and they just bash on it every time, that it does not work that its useless I mean I don't know if it is or not can someone that has been using win chun for a long period or anyone that has had experiences where wing chun has helped you tell me about it, seriously this is the last time I ask about it I'm going to make up my mind of learning wing chun or another style, is it useless or not?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like most things, it isnt exactly like training. But as far as i know, it 'works'. But you need a bit more context than that.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
No , I find it to be a very wimpy martial art mainly practiced by nancy boys and sissies.

Stay well away from it , the mere practice of it will cause your testosterone levels to plummet.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty Wing Chun isn't for me, but having tried it a number of times I can without doubt say that in a practical situation I feel that it would 'work' and be very effective at that. It came across as a powerful style that works to keep you safe without expending too much of your own energy.

Part of me wishes it did fit for me, but hey Kenpo will have to do for me. :) Hope that helps.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun as a style is more effective than most systems and styles out there, but ultimately it depends on who is teaching and how you train. Mosy of the folks who derride Wing Chun do so because it has never been shown as effective in MMA but miss the point that Wing Chun is not designed for nor trained for the sporting environment. If you are young and athletic or powerfully built then MMA is a good route to go for you or you could simply train muay thai and BJJ, but if you want something that doesn't rely heavilly on strength and athletism then you'll have to look elsewhere and Wing Chun as stated previously is as good as or better than most things available.

OP
J

JzHernandez77

White Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun as a style is more effective than most systems and styles out there, but ultimately it depends on who is teaching and how you train. Mosy of the folks who derride Wing Chun do so because it has never been shown as effective in MMA but miss the point that Wing Chun is not designed for nor trained for the sporting environment. If you are young and athletic or powerfully built then MMA is a good route to go for you or you could simply train muay thai and BJJ, but if you want something that doesn't rely heavilly on strength and athletism then you'll have to look elsewhere and Wing Chun as stated previously is as good as or better than most things available.

Well I have searched the website of where I am planning to learn wing chun and the master who taught the master thier was taught by ip Ching which is ip man's son and also 1 of the 5 grandmasters left and I don't only want to learn wing chun but I want to start with it

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I have searched the website of where I am planning to learn wing chun and the master who taught the master thier was taught by ip Ching which is ip man's son and also 1 of the 5 grandmasters left and I don't only want to learn wing chun but I want to start with it

If you're asking the question without touching hands and trying it out... its not for you I think.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Wing Chun is all flowery fists and embroidery kicks ... very pretty, but just for show.

... y'know, kinda like Xingyi.

:D

Look. Just go to the place and try a class. Don't make this decision based on what you read in an internet forum.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you are young, athletic or powerfully built, you could do well in any martial arts style. Look, guys, I get that you're defending your own art, but don't drag mine into it. BJJ is a terrific art for all ages, builds and fitness levels. I train with men and women of all ages and sizes, from very small to very large.

I would presume that WC is the same as any style. Find the right school and you'll learn WC. Whether it's good for anything will depend upon the quality of the training and the qualifications of the instructor.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn and have asked a lot of questions on many other sites about wing chun and they just bash on it every time, that it does not work that its useless I mean I don't know if it is or not can someone that has been using win chun for a long period or anyone that has had experiences where wing chun has helped you tell me about it, seriously this is the last time I ask about it I'm going to make up my mind of learning wing chun or another style, is it useless or not?

Wing chun is not effective at all. I wouldn't try it. Stick to mma... you can become a super hero.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Frankly, the effectiveness of the art has taken a back seat to passive-aggressive sarcasm and condescension running rampant in this thread. I hope that you guys make a better first impression in real life.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, the effectiveness of the art has taken a back seat to passive-aggressive sarcasm and condescension running rampant in this thread. I hope that you guys make a better first impression in real life.

The effectiveness of the art depends on knowledge of the art and the person using it. Plain and simple. "NonSarcastic" realism.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
When a man is attacking a woman its usually going to be in a controlling manner: grabbing, pulling, pushing, slapping, holding, etc.. It this type of stimulus, in my opinion, where styles like Wing Chun and Aikido shine as intelligent choices for women in self defense (and I highly suggest adding BJJ for the ground).

When a man attacks another man, unless he intends to grapple, it's usually going to be to pummel them into mash potatoes as quickly as possible. I think Wing Chun shines through best for a man when in a confined space (where movement is very limited), or if the attacker is crowding him. Much less trapping will likely be involved for the WC man as he attacks his opponent's center line, and the "T-position" becomes highly favorable to gain to limit the attacker's movement; likely causing him to try and use the controlling stimulus that Wing Chun will thrive on. So I think for the male Wing Chun practitioner, it would be wise to add a long distance game (I suggest JKD); although I don't think this is necessary if you are only taking WC for self defense purposes. What you will commonly see in the WC vs. anything videos, is the WC man standing like a statue waiting for the close quarters stimulus that his style feeds on, but getting mowed down because he has no long range or ground game.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
When a man is attacking a woman its usually going to be in a controlling manner: grabbing, pulling, pushing, slapping, holding, etc.. It this type of stimulus, in my opinion, where styles like Wing Chun and Aikido shine as intelligent choices for women in self defense (and I highly suggest adding BJJ for the ground).

When a man attacks another man, unless he intends to grapple, it's usually going to be to pummel them into mash potatoes as quickly as possible. I think Wing Chun shines through best for a man when in a confined space (where movement is very limited), or if the attacker is crowding him. Much less trapping will likely be involved for the WC man as he attacks his opponent's center line, and the "T-position" becomes highly favorable to gain to limit the attacker's movement; likely causing him to try and use the controlling stimulus that Wing Chun will thrive on. So I think for the male Wing Chun practitioner, it would be wise to add a long distance game (I suggest JKD); although I don't think this is necessary if you are only taking WC for self defense purposes. What you will commonly see in the WC vs. anything videos, is the WC man standing like a statue waiting for the close quarters stimulus that his style feeds on, but getting mowed down because he has no long range or ground game.

What do you call a long range game?
Have you ever seen a guy bridge a 3 metre gap with a charging knee so fast that you could hardly see him move?
I have , my master used to do it.
My lineage uses the charging knee to bridge the gap when an opponent is out of kicking range.
Do not presume that you know all of Wing Chun from watching videos , most of the best people don't put out a lot of video of their stuff.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I apologize for the sarcasm, but the OP's question was not well-considered at all ("useless?") and in the end, I did make a practical suggestion that would give the OP much more than can be gleaned from an internet forum: get to a class and try it out.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I apologize for the sarcasm, but the OP's question was not well-considered at all ("useless?") and in the end, I did make a practical suggestion that would give the OP much more than can be gleaned from an internet forum: get to a class and try it out.
I get it. It's all good. Just seemed a little like ganging up on a new guy to me. I think it's easy to forget when we were new and didn't know what was what. If the original post was genuine and not a troll, I think it warrants an honest, non-sarcastic answer.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This whole long range/short range argument applies only to sport.
All said and done, there is only one range...contact range. WC builds a bridge to the attacking limb, whether it's a kick or a punch and moves in to a range that helps to nullify much of what our attacker is trying to accomplish.

An opponent intent on taking you out is going to mow you over. He's not goingt to nancy around and take pot shots at you.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you call a long range game?
Have you ever seen a guy bridge a 3 metre gap with a charging knee so fast that you could hardly see him move?
I have , my master used to do it.
My lineage uses the charging knee to bridge the gap when an opponent is out of kicking range.
Do not presume that you know all of Wing Chun from watching videos , most of the best people don't put out a lot of video of their stuff.

For Wing Chun to work you must maintain proper structure, it excels in close quarters; there are other fighting styles that move more freely with less restrictions on body movement for greater reach. And your three meter charging knee would get you knocked out if you tried that against me; don't presume you know everything there is about fighting either :asian:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depends on what kind of instruction you get and what kind of student you are.

I have been doing wing chun since 1976 and have never looked bad or have any regrets.

I f you don't search for and get good instruction and practice diligently- do something else.

Latest Discussions