Is this way of avoiding frowned upon?

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what I've read on the net, it always seems that ducking is not encouraged because of the lack of mobility or the possibility of getting punched in the head.The more favoured move is always moving to the side and punching.But what about a situation where you get tunnel vision or the possibility of getting sweeped while stepping to the side?

Wouldn't it be better just to duck without moving location(sidestepping)?The usual move that any individual might use might be right hook followed by left hook to your head but if you manage to avoid both by ducking with correct timing,could it be a sucessful move to launch two punches to the groin of the opponent?Or could it be that after you duck, he manages to ignore the pain momentarily and pound downwards with fists or kick your head?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yew,

Everything is circumstancial. There are times to sidestep (one of my favorite moves) and other times to bob and weave, as KenpoTex says. Other times a hard block will do quite well, either martial arts style or boxing style.

I have found over time that if I'm faced with a power kicker or puncher it's best to avoid the blow than to block it. This is particulary true with power kicking. But with power punching you can do many things one cannot do agains a power kicker unless you are drasticly weaker than your opponent.

Bobing and weaving, while standing still, will work only as long as the other person does not close the distance to elbow/knee/grappling range nor use low kicks that have no chambering move. Dirty poker but then the name of the game is to win, not to play by rules.

Deaf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ducking, bobbing & weaving, and body sways and bends are all important tools in avoiding attacks. Different situations demand a different tactic. Ideally, I encourage stepping when time and space permit. When you lack time, space, or both, you duck or bob or otherwise shift your body's position to avoid the attack. In cases where you can't even go that for -- a body lean or sway can dissipate much of the force of the attack.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing that ultimately is frowned upon is doing nothing and taking the blow to the head.

A couple of weeks ago in class, the instructor asked just what move I had performed - it had faint resemblance to the technique that had just been taught. It was a "broken" technique on my part - footwork off, initial parry with the wrong hand - - - and at that point, I just did a mild push to avoid what I knew was coming at my head.

Would have saved me on the street...didn't in class, though.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If ducking is what keeps you from taking a flush blow to the head, it's not frowned upon.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with ducking as long as you don't bow your head. most people duck with their eyes facing the floor instead of looking straight ahead to see what's going on. That's why you should not duck unless you keep your eyes up so you don't get kicked or punched.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ducking is a good way of getting out of the way until your opponent figures out thats what your going to do then it hurts when he connects

OP
Y

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with ducking as long as you don't bow your head. most people duck with their eyes facing the floor instead of looking straight ahead to see what's going on. That's why you should not duck unless you keep your eyes up so you don't get kicked or punched.

Oh yeah..that one.The duck with the legs slightly bent.
But what about the one which involves ducking all the way with the left foot on the ground and the right knee for balance(like kneeling with one foot).The one where it leaves you quite immobile since you'll have to re-stand up again before you can attempt to sidestep or move.Is that a dangerous move?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
But what about the one which involves ducking all the way with the left foot on the ground and the right knee for balance(like kneeling with one foot).The one where it leaves you quite immobile since you'll have to re-stand up again before you can attempt to sidestep or move.Is that a dangerous move?

I can't really see myself doing that unless I had another plan because, as you said, it's a big commitment. If I was going to commit to a level-change of that nature, I'd probably shoot for a takedown instead of trying to stand back up.

If I was just ducking to avoid a punch, I'd probably just bend both knees to change levels while keeping my eyes on my opponent

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you certain that standing back up is the only way to move from a kneeling stance? (Hint... it's not.) If you kneel or drop properly, you'll have a number of movement options, depending on the exact context.

Dropping into the "turtle" position AKA "please don't pound me" pose is seldom smart. You can't see, you're vulnerable, and you have very limited options. But that doesn't mean all ducking is wrong or bad... One of the most disconcerting things is to have your opponent seem to disappear, only to attack at a level your not expecting or just pop right back up on you.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will see boxers do alot of things that work in the ring, but would be not so good in the street.

For example, ducking the way some boxers do. They bend at the waist at almost a 90 degree angle. This is great in the ring with the rules because they don't have to worry about punches to the back of the head/neck area or knees/kicks coming up to their face at such a low position. This is what most people think of when they hear "ducking".

Think of the move like lifting, use your knees, not your back. Also, if you can incorporate other directional movement with your head as well. For example, I lower my level and come back up...the target (my head) is in the same place as the previous attack. Try differing things but start off with a simple "V" pattern, as you move down move slightly over so your opponent has to readjust.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't really see myself doing that unless I had another plan because, as you said, it's a big commitment. If I was going to commit to a level-change of that nature, I'd probably shoot for a takedown instead of trying to stand back up.

If I was just ducking to avoid a punch, I'd probably just bend both knees to change levels while keeping my eyes on my opponent

I was going to say something similar to this, basically, as a grappler ducking is a great way to avoid a punch because it is a great segway to a double or single leg takedown...

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you're going to get that low, then you need to do something else. I found out that if you place your hand on the outside of the ankle then do a palm-heel to the leg above the knee on the side of the inner thigh that your attacker will fall like bricks. A take down will also do in this situation. But if your attacker is throwing a hay-maker, then his balance will be off and you should be able to get inside of him\her and do damage of your own.