Is this a legitimate gym or mcdojo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You didn't actually address my question, but I think you answered it with "most".
ive already said, if there was new terminolgy it doesnt come to mind, it would be inacurate of me to state non, when that isnt an absolute truth that i cant verify.

to the best of my recall, there was no new termonolgy required to play american pie or any other the other pop clasics that i learnt, that isnt in most peoples, certainly mine existing lexicography,

i supose if someone managed to reach adult hood with out knowing what a fret was, there may some learning required

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive already said, if there was new terminolgy it doesnt come to mind, it would be inacurate of me to state non, when that isnt an absolute truth that i cant verify.

to the best of my recall, there was no new termonolgy required to play american pie or any other the other pop clasics that i learnt, that isnt in most peoples, certainly mine existing lexicography,

i supose if someone managed to reach adult hood with out knowing what a fret was, there may some learning required
That you already knew the specialized terms isn’t the issue, really. They are still specialized terms. Some became part of the English language, but didn’t start there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That you already knew the specialized terms isn’t the issue, really. They are still specialized terms. Some became part of the English language, but didn’t start there.
hang on are you say the term " fret" wasnt part of the english language to start off with ?

so when exactly did it get an entry in the english dictionary and where did it start.

you do know its called a fret but of its similarity to fret work?, i suspect the word came into use before it was applied to guitars and not the otherway round

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
if i was handed a peice of paper with the cords writen on i could with a few minets of practice play that so it ws both pleasant to the ear and recognisable as any particular popular tune, if it was classical guitar music id have to give it back, if it was something id never heard they would need to play it for me first

you can play most things with 4 cords and just about everything with 7, you cant of course make an acustic gutar sound like an electric guitar, so its always different, but hopefully recognisable as the tune your attempting

im better than bob Dylan, and it didnt seem to hold him back, in fact i stand up quite well against a lot of " musicians " if they are playing unplugged

So.. if I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is no; you would need someone to read and translate the music into something you could understand. I guess you could call that 'no problem' if you want.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So.. if I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is no; you would need someone to read and translate the music into something you could understand. I guess you could call that 'no problem' if you want.
but someone has to translate the music in to writen music in the first place, so everyone needs a translation unless they are Mozart ,

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but someone has to translate the music in to writen music in the first place, so everyone needs a translation unless they are Mozart ,

No, there is no translation. We have a language for music, you just haven't learned it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, there is no translation. We have a language for music, you just haven't learned it.
no the music is translated in to writen form, how do you think it gets there,?

its intrinsically no different to translating it into 1s and 0s, it isnt the music just a way of denoting it

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes. My point being we have a language for that. You don't know it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not a language, any more than binary is a language

Binary is a language. So is C. So is musical notation. So is Italian. So is Swahili. That you don't understand them is irrelevant.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Binary is a language. So is C. So is musical notation. So is Italian. So is Swahili. That you don't understand them is irrelevant.
binary is not a language, just saying it is doesnt make it so, C is a language, music notation is not, Italian is, swahili is not

the swahili are a people, their language is Kiswahili,

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hang on are you say the term " fret" wasnt part of the english language to start off with ?

so when exactly did it get an entry in the english dictionary and where did it start.

you do know its called a fret but of its similarity to fret work?, i suspect the word came into use before it was applied to guitars and not the otherway round
Interestingly misleading post. I never said that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
binary is not a language, just saying it is doesnt make it so, C is a language, music notation is not, Italian is, swahili is not

the swahili are a people, their language is Kiswahili,
What definition of language are you using that doesn't include binary?

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
its not a language, any more than binary is a language

Semantics; it is the method by which musicians communicate music to each other in written form. Your attitude seems to be "I don't need to bother". Which is fine, that's on you - but my point is simply that you are denying yourself the learning experience, and by definition therefore speaking from a position of ignorance. Seems a shame to revel in apathy and ignorance to me, but YMMV.

And to reiterate; my initial point was in response to the question 'why bother?'. And my answer remains the obvious one - if YOU want to learn something from someone else, you don't in any way have the 'moral right' to demand they teach you, in any manner.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Semantics; it is the method by which musicians communicate music to each other in written form. Your attitude seems to be "I don't need to bother". Which is fine, that's on you - but my point is simply that you are denying yourself the learning experience, and by definition therefore speaking from a position of ignorance. Seems a shame to revel in apathy and ignorance to me, but YMMV.

And to reiterate; my initial point was in response to the question 'why bother?'. And my answer remains the obvious one - if YOU want to learn something from someone else, you don't in any way have the 'moral right' to demand they teach you, in any manner.
but it doesnt communicate music, does it ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
here it is

it didnt start as part of the english language ???????

Latest Discussions