Is this a good combat knife?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you plan on using the knife for? If you're not military or LEO than you don't really see combat. Regardless of your use, SOG makes great knives in my experience and my fellow knife enthusiasts say the same. If self defense is your goal though I'd find something else unless you live in a rural area, maybe a smaller SOG. One thing a lot of martial artists don't account for is what normal people carry and do. As a filipino martial artist this is especially true, we're knife fans and collect knives but it's it's important to remember that should you ever actually use a blade for self defense you'll want to blend in. A $300 specialty blade will look out of place, and while you may be legally defending your life the tides can easily turn, a trained victim can quickly become an assassin (which is illegal). If you ever kill with a weapon you want to blend in and look like a regular guy who found himself in unfortunate circumstances and came out on top. You want the jury to identify with you. If you're painted as an experienced martial artist killing machine you have less chance of escaping jail time. A specialty blade or anything that looks intimidating for the situation it was used can be used against you. The OPs example isn't too extreme but still doesn't fit in your average suburban setting unless you have good reason for carrying such a blade (hunting trip, recent camping, fishing tackle accessory). As a martial artist if you're trained to protect your life you should understand the realities of what might happen if you survive a deadly altercation. If your group portrays a "deadly" persona or uses "deadly" tactics as a marketing tool, it can be used against you if you ever defend your life at the expense of a criminal's. The "deadly" image might attract students and take in the $ but it actually might do a disservice to those that actually need the art.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really like the seal pup's, especially for training. Decent quality, feel, and price.

Regards
Brian King

Yeah I have the seal pup elite with the fine edge as a camping knife and like it. From what i read the elite version of both knives is generally worth getting for the bit extra money.

Regarding the pup vs the full side seal One of the knife instructors up my way Paul Cale does the ghost. Which is a dedicated fighter. But not a big knife all round. So if op wanted a fighter that might be a bit more manageable for bushcraft that pup elite could be the better choice.

And I am not a fan of the serrated version of either. It gets in the way more than it helps.

And eBay. $160 is too much for that knife. Here is the elite version for a hundred.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOG-SE37...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c472e79ce

ghost3-700x500.jpg

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't take a sog in to a combat scenario as my only knife if you were going to use it as an all in one survival and defense knife because they can easily be broken. Like a high percentage of knives out there they will break of you try to pry or leverage with it.

Sog dessert dagger, pentagon and mini pentagons are my choice sog knives.

8076acc226fa33afe6379ff07c24a13e.jpg

These are my two mini pentagons that I picked to after learning the double dagger set and they sit in my bug out bag along with a buck intrepid and a spyderco police amongst other goodies.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't even know how the SOG Seal beat the Buck intrepid as a military knife other then the sole purpose of it being a good killing machine.

This is my buck intrepid that I would use as my survival knife if everything went down the tube.

d12abcc9e3190ee76db3e1990a18e422.jpg
22369bf9df81830c09a63f67c6321985.jpg

Id be impressed if i broke this thing and its a very versatile knife.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good combat knife will have to serve multiple duties besides being an edged weapon.
Edge retention and ease of sharpening is a must as well as tensile and load bearing strength.
Many modern day 'combat' type knives look great, feel great but lack the multi task abilities of a great combat knife.
Can you dig a hole in the ground with your knife? Can you pry heavy objects with your knife? Can you use your knife as hand or foot hold for climbing without it bending or breaking? Can the edge be sharpened with a flat rock? Can your knife be strapped or tied to a pole and utilized as a spear for thrusting or throwing? Can your knife be used for chopping hard objects like small trees or being batoned with a stick or rock? Can you skin a small animal or do some small detail work like creating snare triggers with your knife?
A good combat knife, in my opinion, must have the capacity to do all the above to even be considered for being a combat or survival knife.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
My EDC knife is a Spyderco Manix 2. It's an incredibly common pocket folder, with a deep choil, great jimping, and a very solid lock. I have one of the sprint runs, so it isn't as common as some versions. Why? Because it is lighter due to the skeletonized liners, and I am an unapologetic steel snob. :) When I want to carry a non-folding knife, I carry the Waid Covert, made by Brian Biegler. Home

The knife I wish I could carry is the Applegate-Fairbairn, as I love the double edge and the utility of the design. Unfortunately, daggers are not allowed where I live. Even if I could carry it, the only one I know of making decent ones is Boker, and I probably wouldn't buy one from them. Did I mention that I am a steel snob?

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
So would this be a good combat knife?

SEAL Team

Looks good, decent steel. A few things to consider though... This "SEAL" knife has absolutely nothing to do with the SEALS; that's just clever marketing. It's made from Japanese steel and manufactured in Taiwan, so I would have concerns about the quality, especially the heat treat. It might be a good EDC, but for what it is, it's very overpriced. They actually sell this exact blade at Walmart much cheaper.

For that price, I could make you a very nice high quality custom blade... just saying lol

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it has a handle, blade, and an edge then it should do the job. It's nice if it fits your hand. My big point, if you are gonna have a knife for emergency/ bug out or whatever, learn to sharpen it well. A dull knife nakes for little more than a paint stir stick, fish scaler, and tent stake. A razor edge isn't tough to achive, and it's simple to maintain.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I use fixed blade knives alot. I've broken a lot and lost a few, including my favorite,. My bug out knife, woods knife are:
blaze orange handle and sheath
Hard plastic sheath
Thick blade
Hole in handle for lanyard
Clip on sheath, as opposed to belt loop ( i often attach it to my backpack during trecks)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I use fixed blade knives alot. I've broken a lot and lost a few, including my favorite,. My bug out knife, woods knife are:
blaze orange handle and sheath
Hard plastic sheath
Thick blade
Hole in handle for lanyard
Clip on sheath, as opposed to belt loop ( i often attach it to my backpack during trecks)

images

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you plan on using the knife for? If you're not military or LEO than you don't really see combat. Regardless of your use, SOG makes great knives in my experience and my fellow knife enthusiasts say the same. If self defense is your goal though I'd find something else unless you live in a rural area, maybe a smaller SOG. One thing a lot of martial artists don't account for is what normal people carry and do. As a filipino martial artist this is especially true, we're knife fans and collect knives but it's it's important to remember that should you ever actually use a blade for self defense you'll want to blend in. A $300s''s specialty blade will look out of place, and while you may be legally defending your life the tides can easily turn, a trained victim can quickly become an assassin (which is illegal). If you ever kill with a weapon you want to blend in and look like a regular guy who found himself in unfortunate circumstances and came out on top. You want the jury to identify with you. If you're painted as an experienced martial artist killing machine you have less chance of escaping jail time. A specialty blade or anything that looks intimidating for the situation it was used can be used against you. The OPs example isn't too extreme but still doesn't fit in your average suburban setting unless you have good reason for carrying such a blade (hunting trip, recent camping, fishing tackle accessory). As a martial artist if you're trained to protect your life you should understand the realities of what might happen if you survive a deadly altercation. If your group portrays a "deadly" persona or uses "deadly" tactics as a marketing tool, it can be used against you if you ever defend your life at the expense of a criminal's. The "deadly" image might attract students and take in the $ but it actually might do a disservice to those that actually need the art.

My Kali instructor, GM Tuan taught defensive tactics to the San Francisco LE. He said a daily self defense blade need be no more than 4". He preferred a pocket carry knife. In Kali most of the blade attacks are slicing attacks, seldom stabbing. Per GMTuan who also has a law degree, from a legal perspective, being able to prove your knife attacks are/were not stabbing actions helps the legal battle ahead. Helps define intent as SD and not taking a life.
I loved the idea that most Kali moves are offense & defense in the same motion(s).
Growing up in the southeast it still isn't unusual to see a knife sheathed on someone's side but that doesn't seem to be the etiquette in larger population areas.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To reduce my ignorance, what does EDC stand for? Is there a difference between a combat knife and a survival knife?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To reduce my ignorance, what does EDC stand for?
EDC...'Every Day Carry'

Is there a difference between a combat knife and a survival knife?
Yes, though either can be utilized in either situation.
Some differences is in having a finger choil and a guard on the different knives.
Many combat knives don't use a sharpening choil which makes sharpening next to the ricasso a bit more difficult but prevent the blade from being caught in clothing when thrust in completely whereas others do use a choil.

Tactical knives again though can be used in combat situations are not designed as a combat knife. They tend to be lighter and a bit more ergonomic and with different features for urban use vs a survival or combat knife.

Latest Discussions