Is this a good coach/school to learn from or not?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(...) and the people i sparred with didn't really "fight" me but basically walked me through what they knew and taught me a few moves each. it was one of the safest martial arts classes i have ever been to... (...)
I would like to see it more often in striking classes, especially when there is a huge gap in the skills level. There are a lot of good BJJ habits that can / could be applied in striking classes...

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is very true.. i got injured in a karate class once where i was punched very hard by a guy that went aggro at me for not punching him hard enuf o_O i think everyone shld learn martial arts no matter whst age fitness level or illness... n i think if ppl were allowed to progress in their own time n pace and had others helping them along the way everyone wld do it... but this isnt the case... and for bjj i had nothing to compare the coach with i suppose so it was really great advice of everyone to encourage me to try this new place...
I would like to see it more often in striking classes, especially when there is a huge gap in the skills level. There are a lot of good BJJ habits that can / could be applied in striking classes...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very true.. i got injured in a karate class once where i was punched very hard by a guy that went aggro at me for not punching him hard enuf o_O i think everyone shld learn martial arts no matter whst age fitness level or illness... n i think if ppl were allowed to progress in their own time n pace and had others helping them along the way everyone wld do it... but this isnt the case... and for bjj i had nothing to compare the coach with i suppose so it was really great advice of everyone to encourage me to try this new place...
Oy. I don't understand students who can't handle someone else going softer. Unless the sparring is intended to be aggressive, I just adapt to the level of my partner. If they're going too soft for their level, I just make sure I penetrate their defense a bit more often so they know they're not being effective enough.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone, just letting you know that i tried the new bjj school and the instructor was really really skilled, experienced, warm and encouraging. but most of all he read my enrolment form where i said i have systemic lupus and cancer and he told me to rest quite a few times during the class. gave me alot of attention even tho it was like a class of about 30 people, and the people i sparred with didn't really "fight" me but basically walked me through what they knew and taught me a few moves each. it was one of the safest martial arts classes i have ever been to... and now it is clear in my mind that my injury would have been prevented if the other coach instructed me more carefully or watched me more carefully...

i got less instruction than this coach today even tho the other class (i injured myself in) had only 5 students and this class had 30. the other coach didnt spend any time with me while i was sparring and even told me that if it's fine for me to go to class once a week like i wanted but that I won't see "results" that way. i really doubt he even realized what having a chronic illness plus cancer means even though i explained it to him.. but this coach today never pushed any classes and was careful with me the whole class without me having to explain anything at all.. all the while having no trouble in keeping a watchful eye on all other students... i'm sure the other coach is still great but he just isnt the right coach for me...

anyway, practically the place i signed up for today has casual classes that are heavily discounted for members who pay a small once off fee, and they have fundamentals classes and beginners classes which wld b great...

thanks for all your help everyone xoxoxo

Glad to see you liked it. I personally am of the Carlson Gracie lineage under Prof. Marcelo Motta. My assessment is your experience shows really that rank in BJJ reflects something valid. Your first school, generally under the same lineage I am, to me seems to be a brown belt closer to getting started in his instructional career. It might be a good resource for mainstream beginners, younger practitioners, and competitors locally. Your school you attended here, with Prof. Portugues is a very well known black belt under a tremendous lineage. He learned the art in Sao Paulo, in a very populated area that is one of the centers of BJJ in the world, and is a top competitor. As a 4th degree Black Belt in BJJ this illustrates a couple decades of teaching, and I am not surprised at the difference you experienced in quality.

Take it at your pace and enjoy the journey.

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh wow thank u so much that is an excellent review! And i didnt know prof was so famous! And it totally makes sense! I think im extremely lucky to be in prof Carlos's school... v v lucky he is here in melb! And im v sure the othr teacher is going to b great too and that hes a great teacher for the mainstream students like u said... but yeh just not the right one for me. Id go to his gym for the weightlifting classes tho they have a guy there who is a competition weightlifter whom iv met and seen lift myself andi know hes v experienced. Having said that tho being good at something doesnt mean one can automatically become a good teacher...

Glad to see you liked it. I personally am of the Carlson Gracie lineage under Prof. Marcelo Motta. My assessment is your experience shows really that rank in BJJ reflects something valid. Your first school, generally under the same lineage I am, to me seems to be a brown belt closer to getting started in his instructional career. It might be a good resource for mainstream beginners, younger practitioners, and competitors locally. Your school you attended here, with Prof. Portugues is a very well known black belt under a tremendous lineage. He learned the art in Sao Paulo, in a very populated area that is one of the centers of BJJ in the world, and is a top competitor. As a 4th degree Black Belt in BJJ this illustrates a couple decades of teaching, and I am not surprised at the difference you experienced in quality.

Take it at your pace and enjoy the journey.