Is the U.S. ready for a killer flu outbreak?

Who here remembers the Swine Flu scare?...raise your hand.

Tgace said:
Who here remembers the Swine Flu scare?...raise your hand.
I remember it and I think that they were correct, if misinformed, in taking it as seriously as they did. You have to remember that the generation of leaders (1976?) who made the call to vaccinate as many people as possible were children of survivors of the 1918 Influenza.

True, the probability, in any given year, of a pandemic is small. However, ultimately history will catch up to us and we are not as well prepared as we think we are. In some ways, our knowledge and treatment of viruses is no greater than it was in 1918.

Of course the media has to hype such things as "Outbreak", but that does not mean that there is no real danger. The agressive actions taken now by public health services may spare our generation a pandemic. Then again...

It's always "unlikely" until it happens. What's more, we need look no further than the outbreak of 1918 to see the potential. The Spanish flu is believed to have mutated to it's human killing form from avian flu in a similar manner. The fact is that virtually every flu epidemic and pandemic begin in a very similar manner to the current Avian Flu situation. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/pandemics.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674377/

I put a vest on every day that I go to work. Is it because my odd's of getting shot are extremely high? No, it's because it's better to where a vest and not need it, than dealing with the worst case scenario without it.

If they're wrong about Avian Flu, then all we've done is wasted money. It won't be the first time or the worst waste of money. But if they're right and we do nothing? Who really wants to live with that?

On this issue, I don't think the media has hyped it enough. Whatever the federal government is spending this program, they should spend many times more.

It's a lot like 9/11. We had become so complacent because it "had never happened" that would thought that meant it "could never happen".

just something funny to mention.
i read on CNN that the birds flu is going to kill about 180 millions in the middle east. Although the middle east is only populated by about 120 millions!
they probably counted the birds and animals (maybe camels too) in there!

Im ALL for being prepared...Im not for being afraid.

There are differences between 1918 and today. First of all, we HAVE vaccines. Secondly, we have anti-viral drugs. And thirdly, we are, overall, in better health.

On the negative side, while most flus kill the elderly, the very young, and the frail, avian flu seems to have no such preference. It'll kill young healthy people.

One preventive measure that's been proposed is to vaccinate Asians with regular old human flu. Then, if they are infected with avian flu, it won't have any human flu to mix with, so it won't be able to pick up the genes for human infection. Problem is, it would probably mean taking flu vaccine away from Americans and Europeans, in order to have enough for Asia.

Well...as the highly and densely populated Asian countries are probably going to be the bulk of victims....and as that Doc. in the source I linked stated, the pneumonia vaccine, which is apparently in higher supply could preven many deaths due to the flu even if it doesnt prevent catching it.

Stay healthy, eat/sleep properly, wash your hands, cover your face when you cough/sneeze, get medical attention when needed, pressure the governement to have a good "worst case scenario" plan. Thats what you should do. Then you can concentrate on the meteors that are going to kill us all.

Back