Is it frowned upon to convert to a different martial art?

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Grasshopper22,

The only way you should feel bad is if you had to pay several months of tuition for your current school, and switching would mean you paid all that money for nothing. But in that case, the only thing being hurt would be your wallet...not the teacher's feelings. I am sure he is used to students coming and going. Seriously though, I would say go and sit in on the kung fu class first before you make a decision to switch. Good luck!

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I currently do Ju-Jitsu but even before I started Ju-Jitsu I always wanted to do Kung-Fu but there were no Kung-Fu clubs near where I lived but one has just opened up and I want to join but I'll fell like a traiter if I quit Ju-Jitsu. I can't afford to do both. What do I do?

I think it depends on how long you have been doing Ju jitsu, If its a sufficient amount of time 6 months +, the quit for awhile. If so, go do some kung fu, you can always go back to JJ mix/match what works/doesn't for you.

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I currently do Ju-Jitsu but even before I started Ju-Jitsu I always wanted to do Kung-Fu but there were no Kung-Fu clubs near where I lived but one has just opened up and I want to join but I'll fell like a traiter if I quit Ju-Jitsu. I can't afford to do both. What do I do?

My Tai Chi teacher said something to me once. "If you ever feel like you're ready to move up in Tai Chi or that this martial art doesn't suit you, feel free to move on to something. I'm not here to hold you down." Anyways, try it out. If you feel as if you like it better, go for it. Do what YOU want to do. It isn't about feeling like a traitor, it's about finding something that suits you or you enjoy.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as you are not in a contract. As long as you are respectful and have a good instructor you should not have an issue. You cannot dictate what another individuals response will be but this is a personal decision. And you are the only "person" who can make it. You try not to burn bridges but, the decision isn't really yours, is it?

I have changed schools and arts several times. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it is hard. I absolutely love training with my current instructor. (I like the whole garage student thing.) However, when I made the decision to train with him I had to tell my former instructor (who had just worked out a schedule to start training me again) that I would not be returning. That was hard. His response, "Good for you. I look forward to see what you have learned next time you come by."

Latest Discussions